Windows XP Update failure

glil79

Windows XP Update failure
I am trying to update a pc which hasn't been online in over 2 years.

Update history shows that the following updates have failed:

Windows XP Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and
WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773)
Windows XP Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)

I would realy appreciate some help in resolving this.

Thanks,
Georgina

glil79

RE: Windows XP Update failure
Meant to add...

all but one of the failed updates have the following error code:
0x80246008Thanks,

Georgina

"glil79" wrote:

> I am trying to update a pc which hasn't been online in over 2 years.
>
> Update history shows that the following updates have failed:
>
> Windows XP Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and
> WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773)
> Windows XP Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
> Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
> Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
> Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
>
> I would realy appreciate some help in resolving this.
>
> Thanks,
> Georgina

Robert Aldwinckle

"glil79" <glil79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:579E105E-624B-44D0-9600-1E12C2C5018D@microsoft.com...
> Meant to add...
>
> all but one of the failed updates have the following error code:
> 0x80246008Thanks,

Try a web search?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

<quote>
If you receive an error message that includes the "0x8DDD0018" error
code or the "0x80246008" error code, follow the steps in the
"Verify that BITS is correctly configured" section to resolve this problem.
</quote>

Another possibility would be updating the Windows Update Agent manually.
E.g. your update agent may be so old that it can't even update itself...

<title>How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent to help manage updates on a computer</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

(Support site search for
update agent download
)

You *probably* would want to use this link in there:

<quote>
For an x86-based computer

Collapse this imageExpand this image

Download the windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe package now.
(http://download.windowsupdate.com/wi...gent30-x86.exe)
</quote>

If all that doesn't make BITS start working you could try using
the bitsadmin /util command to see why, e.g. in a cmd window:

bitsadmin /util /version /verbose

However, note all the other advice typically associated with these
suggestions from other MVPs:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...45f33740605fd1

(via Alt-7 search in the web interface to newsgroups that you are using for
0x80246008 MVP
and using Threads with helpful posts Show: filter (Alt-i,Enter)
)

<quote>
There's a very strong possibility that you have a Vundo infection, which is
usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or SDBot infections, all of which are
protected by a rootkit.
</quote>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> Georgina
>
> "glil79" wrote:
>
>> I am trying to update a pc which hasn't been online in over 2 years.
>>
>> Update history shows that the following updates have failed:
>>
>> Windows XP Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and
>> WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773)
>> Windows XP Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
>> Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
>> Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
>> Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
>>
>> I would realy appreciate some help in resolving this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Georgina

Re: Windows XP Update failure
> I am trying to update a pc which hasn't been online in over 2 years.

I wouldn't bother trying to update such an unpatched computer.

Backup any personal data needed, then do a format & clean install of
Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT
fix this!

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx

Rogue Security Software - Microsoft Security:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ses/rogue.mspx

glil79 wrote:
> I am trying to update a pc which hasn't been online in over 2 years.
>
> Update history shows that the following updates have failed:
>
> Windows XP Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0
> and
> WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773)
> Windows XP Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
> Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
> Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
> Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
>
> I would realy appreciate some help in resolving this.
>
> Thanks,
> Georgina

Shenan Stanley

glil79 wrote:
> I am trying to update a pc which hasn't been online in over 2 years.
>
> Update history shows that the following updates have failed:
>
> Windows XP Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service
> (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773)
> Windows XP Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
> Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
> Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
> Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
>
> I would realy appreciate some help in resolving this.

- Tell us what specific version (Flavor of Windows and Version by number) it
is:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
give you the rest of the story. Post both in response to this message
verbatim. ;-)

Determining what to do next will be partially decided by what service pack
level you are currently at...

- If you are at SP1a or above (SP2 for example) - then SP3 should be your
next update.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File
( This file is a CD image file for users who wish to create an update CD for
Windows XP Service Pack 3, for example for offline installation by
administrators. Use somehting like ISORecorder and a CD writer to make
the CD)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers ( ... will work *just fine* for you.)

You can also try these steps to cleanup/update your updating system:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates. Depending
on the speed of your machine - you may want to avoid Internet Explorer 8
for now as well.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

noreen