Automatic update KB950762 will not install

bigone5500

Automatic update KB950762 will not install
KB950762 downloads and will not install. I visit the windows update site and
the same one is listed along with KB960803 which will not install either.
Both updates fail to install. My installation is win xp pro sp3. I installed
windows then updated the hardware drivers then updated via the update site
and updated to sp3 when it was offered.

Re: Automatic update KB950762 will not install
Have you recently done a Repair Install of WinXP? If so, what problems were
you having which you thought a Repair Install might resolve?

See the "How to obtain help..." section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960803 or
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950762

bigone5500 wrote:
> KB950762 downloads and will not install. I visit the windows update site
> and
> the same one is listed along with KB960803 which will not install either.
> Both updates fail to install. My installation is win xp pro sp3. I
> installed
> windows then updated the hardware drivers then updated via the update site
> and updated to sp3 when it was offered.

bigone5500

Re: Automatic update KB950762 will not install
This is a clean install of xp pro. I have had problems with this installation
other than the updates thing such as device drivers always asking me to
continue anyway.

I may have to do another clean install of XP. I got pretty good at it over
the last weekend as I had to do it 7 times. Can't wait til Win7 comes out.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Have you recently done a Repair Install of WinXP? If so, what problems were
> you having which you thought a Repair Install might resolve?
>
> See the "How to obtain help..." section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960803 or
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950762
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> bigone5500 wrote:
> > KB950762 downloads and will not install. I visit the windows update site
> > and
> > the same one is listed along with KB960803 which will not install either.
> > Both updates fail to install. My installation is win xp pro sp3. I
> > installed
> > windows then updated the hardware drivers then updated via the update site
> > and updated to sp3 when it was offered.

Re: Automatic update KB950762 will not install
After any clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page /before/ otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet *or* a network *and* before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1 or SP2 fully patched (after a clean
install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

NB: I would NOT install IE7 until you've gotten all Service Packs and
available critical security updates installed.

NB: I would NOT install IE8 until you've gotten IE7 up & running properly.

NB: I would NEVER install a driver update that's offered by Windows Update.
Get available updates from the manufacturer's website only.

Sandi's Installation Tips for IE7 <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of
#12, then STOP!
(ignore any references to Vista)

IE7 will not be offered via Windows Update. You can download the installer
here:

Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

About IE7 (and IE8) Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

About IE7 (and IE8) and Windows XP Service Pack 3
~PA Bear

bigone5500 wrote:
> This is a clean install of xp pro. I have had problems with this
> installation other than the updates thing such as device drivers always
> asking me to continue anyway.
>
> I may have to do another clean install of XP. I got pretty good at it over
> the last weekend as I had to do it 7 times. Can't wait til Win7 comes out.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Have you recently done a Repair Install of WinXP? If so, what problems
>> were you having which you thought a Repair Install might resolve?
>>
>> See the "How to obtain help..." section of
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960803 or
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950762
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> bigone5500 wrote:
>>> KB950762 downloads and will not install. I visit the windows update site
>>> and
>>> the same one is listed along with KB960803 which will not install
>>> either.
>>> Both updates fail to install. My installation is win xp pro sp3. I
>>> installed
>>> windows then updated the hardware drivers then updated via the update
>>> site
>>> and updated to sp3 when it was offered.

bigone5500

Re: Automatic update KB950762 will not install
Thanks PA. I'll make a note of these links and instructions and do this over
the weekend. I appreciate your help.