Windows Update messing with Startup items?

Jim Wood

Windows Update messing with Startup items?
I'm running Vista and have disabled startup for Windows Messenger through the
msconfig/Startup panel. Sometimes, but not always, after receiving automatic
updates, Messenger starts on its own again, and the checkmark is mysteriously
back in the box in the Startup panel. Do certain updates reconfigure
msconfig items, or should I be looking for some other reason for settings to
change?

Re: Windows Update messing with Startup items?
You're not confusing Windows Messenger with Windows Live Messenger, are you?

One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
applications may be disallowing the change from "sticking." These include
anti-spyware applications (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, WinPatrol, etc),
anti-virus applications & security suites (Norton, McAfee, ESET/NOD32,
Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc.), and third-party firewalls (e.g., Zone Alarm,
etc.).

Note that temporarily disabling the application(s) or rebooting into Safe
Mode may not disable the application's system protections.

Jim Wood wrote:
> I'm running Vista and have disabled startup for Windows Messenger through
> the msconfig/Startup panel. Sometimes, but not always, after receiving
> automatic updates, Messenger starts on its own again, and the checkmark is
> mysteriously back in the box in the Startup panel. Do certain updates
> reconfigure msconfig items, or should I be looking for some other reason
> for settings to change?

Jim Wood

Re: Windows Update messing with Startup items?
PA, you may have something there. I had just installed the "Anniversary
Edition" of AdAware/free yesterday, and was forced to go through hoops to
keep it from running all by itself. I had used previous versions just as a
scanner, turned off the rest of the time, but this latest version wants to
run all the time and may have to be uninstalled to keep it from doing so!
Off the cuff, now, can I depend on Windows Defender for much the same action?

So, what is the difference between Windows Messenger and Windows Live
Messenger? Is that little chess pawn the default icon for both? I do use
Messenger (of some sort!) from time to time, but don't like it starting by
itself... my ugly face pops up and scares me first thing in the morning!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You're not confusing Windows Messenger with Windows Live Messenger, are you?
>
> One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
> applications may be disallowing the change from "sticking." These include
> anti-spyware applications (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
> SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, WinPatrol, etc),
> anti-virus applications & security suites (Norton, McAfee, ESET/NOD32,
> Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc.), and third-party firewalls (e.g., Zone Alarm,
> etc.).
>
> Note that temporarily disabling the application(s) or rebooting into Safe
> Mode may not disable the application's system protections.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Jim Wood wrote:
> > I'm running Vista and have disabled startup for Windows Messenger through
> > the msconfig/Startup panel. Sometimes, but not always, after receiving
> > automatic updates, Messenger starts on its own again, and the checkmark is
> > mysteriously back in the box in the Startup panel. Do certain updates
> > reconfigure msconfig items, or should I be looking for some other reason
> > for settings to change?

Ǝиçεl

Re: Windows Update messing with Startup items?
http://ask-leo.com/whats_the_differe...messenger.html
-=-
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2150618AANP1HZ
-=-

"Jim Wood" wrote:

> PA, you may have something there. I had just installed the "Anniversary
> Edition" of AdAware/free yesterday, and was forced to go through hoops to
> keep it from running all by itself. I had used previous versions just as a
> scanner, turned off the rest of the time, but this latest version wants to
> run all the time and may have to be uninstalled to keep it from doing so!
> Off the cuff, now, can I depend on Windows Defender for much the same action?
>
> So, what is the difference between Windows Messenger and Windows Live
> Messenger? Is that little chess pawn the default icon for both? I do use
> Messenger (of some sort!) from time to time, but don't like it starting by
> itself... my ugly face pops up and scares me first thing in the morning!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > You're not confusing Windows Messenger with Windows Live Messenger, are you?
> >
> > One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
> > applications may be disallowing the change from "sticking." These include
> > anti-spyware applications (e.g., Ad-aware's Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
> > SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, WinPatrol, etc),
> > anti-virus applications & security suites (Norton, McAfee, ESET/NOD32,
> > Kasperky, Trend Micro, etc.), and third-party firewalls (e.g., Zone Alarm,
> > etc.).
> >
> > Note that temporarily disabling the application(s) or rebooting into Safe
> > Mode may not disable the application's system protections.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> >

> > Jim Wood wrote:
> > > I'm running Vista and have disabled startup for Windows Messenger through
> > > the msconfig/Startup panel. Sometimes, but not always, after receiving
> > > automatic updates, Messenger starts on its own again, and the checkmark is
> > > mysteriously back in the box in the Startup panel. Do certain updates
> > > reconfigure msconfig items, or should I be looking for some other reason
> > > for settings to change?

Re: Windows Update messing with Startup items?
Ad-Aware AE includes two (2) such "system protections" IIRC: Ad-Aware Guard
and Ad-Watch. See if temporarily disabling them before making any changes
in MSCONFIG, etc., and then rebooting makes any difference.

Official Lavasoft (Ad-Aware) Support Forums
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/

Off-the-cuff, I'd say Defender's real-time protections should be more than
sufficient for most home users. Understand that you can still have Ad-Aware
AE installed but with both the Guard service and Ad-Watch disabled.

See Angel's (Ангел) reply about the diff between Windows Messenger (came
pre-install on your computer) and Windows LiveMessenger (must be
intentionally installed manually).
--
~PA Bear