XP Sp3 installed, then later IE 8, lost IE in All Programs

MTsang987

XP Sp3 installed, then later IE 8, lost IE in All Programs
Hi,

I installed XP SP3. The next day I updated IE to IE 8 via Windows Update.
The brower was acting slow, so I removed and reinstalled IE8.

Now IE disappered from the Start -> All Programs. How do I add it to the
All Programs area.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: XP Sp3 installed, then later IE 8, lost IE in All Programs
(cross-post added to XP General)
"MTsang987" <MTsang987@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72A5C529-8DFD-4268-A397-FA1E28A1C75E@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I installed XP SP3. The next day I updated IE to IE 8 via Windows Update.
> The brower was acting slow, so I removed and reinstalled IE8.
>
> Now IE disappered from the Start -> All Programs. How do I add it to the
> All Programs area.

Is it in the Start menu itself and is there an IE icon on your Desktop?
Perhaps you need to allow that to make it show anywhere?
(E.g. via Customize Start Menu and via Add/Remove Windows Components)

Note the Description with the Internet Explorer entry in the Windows
Components Wizard: Adds or removes access to Internet Explorer
from the Start menu and Desktop.

BTW this question would better be asked in an XP NG.
Cross-posting to one for convenience.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Gerry

Re: XP Sp3 installed, then later IE 8, lost IE in All Programs
MTsang987

Which option have you chose if you right click on the Start button and
select Properties, Start tab? Start menu or Classic Start menu?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> (cross-post added to XP General)
> "MTsang987" <MTsang987@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed XP SP3. The next day I updated IE to IE 8 via Windows
>> Update. The brower was acting slow, so I removed and reinstalled IE8.
>>
>> Now IE disappered from the Start -> All Programs. How do I add it
>> to the All Programs area.

> Is it in the Start menu itself and is there an IE icon on your
> Desktop? Perhaps you need to allow that to make it show anywhere?
> (E.g. via Customize Start Menu and via Add/Remove Windows Components)
>
> Note the Description with the Internet Explorer entry in the Windows
> Components Wizard: Adds or removes access to Internet Explorer
> from the Start menu and Desktop.
>
> BTW this question would better be asked in an XP NG.
> Cross-posting to one for convenience.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

MTsang987

Re: XP Sp3 installed, then later IE 8, lost IE in All Programs
I have the normal (non-Classic) Start Menu. At first it did not appear in
the Start Menu.

I went to Customize the Start Menu and under Internet, I saw that nothing
was selected in the Internet drop-down box. I changed the value in the
dropdown box to Internet Explorer. That solved it being on the Start Menu.
I was able to create a shortcut on the desktop by dragging and drop Internet
Explorer from the Start Menu.

However, I still do not have Internet Explorer in the Start --> All
programs. How do I add it there.
MTsang987

Re: XP Sp3 installed, then later IE 8, lost IE in All Programs
I have the normal (non-Classic) Start Menu.

Re: XP Sp3 installed, then later IE 8, lost IE in All Programs
[Adding IE General to the crosspost]

Thead history:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...abf223969f28fc

To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.

in the background when you installed SP3 and/or IE8?

Do you have a available Restore Points which predate (1) the install of IE8
and (2) the install of SP3? <=JUST ASKING FOR NOW!

MTsang987 wrote:
> I have the normal (non-Classic) Start Menu. At first it did not appear in
> the Start Menu.
>
> I went to Customize the Start Menu and under Internet, I saw that nothing
> was selected in the Internet drop-down box. I changed the value in the
> dropdown box to Internet Explorer. That solved it being on the Start
> Menu.
> I was able to create a shortcut on the desktop by dragging and drop
> Internet
> Explorer from the Start Menu.
>
> However, I still do not have Internet Explorer in the Start --> All
> programs. How do I add it there.

MTsang987

Re: XP Sp3 installed, then later IE 8, lost IE in All Programs
Thank you for your replies.

Some history, for the sequence of events.

I had High Speed Internet, which came with McAfee Antiviru for about a year
by my cable company. I didn't ever have any other antivirus.

Three days ago I switched to DSL by my phone company. The phone company
modem install CD recommends Windows OneLive installation which I clicked.
The Windows OneLive install removed the McAfee Antivirus due to conflicts.
Besides, McAfee subscription was only free with continued service with the
cable company.

The Windows OneLive pointed me to Windows Update, where I installed XP SP3.
Initially I did not select to update IE7 to IE8. A day later, due to nusance
messages fro LiveOne, I went to Windows Update to install IE8. I don't
think I have Retore Points.

Michael

MTsang987 wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I marked these as answered when I meant to mark them as helpful.

I still would like to know how to put IE under All Programs. I couldn't
find the appropriate iexpore.exe.

Thanks,
Michael

"MTsang987" wrote:

> [...]
> (E.g. via Customize Start Menu and via Add/Remove Windows Components)
>
> Note the Description with the Internet Explorer entry in the Windows
> Components Wizard: Adds or removes access to Internet Explorer
> from the Start menu and Desktop.
>
> BTW this question would better be asked in an XP NG.
> Cross-posting to one for convenience.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
>
> (cross-post added to XP General)
> "MTsang987" <MTsang987@discussions.microsoft.comwrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I installed XP SP3. The next day I updated IE to IE 8 via Windows Update.
> The brower was acting slow, so I removed and reinstalled IE8.
>
> Now IE disappered from the Start ->All Programs. How do I add it to the All
> Programs area.

Re: XP Sp3 installed, then later IE 8, lost IE in All Programs
[Again, please do NOT edit the quoting in your replies and always quote all
of the message to which you're replying.]

Did you disable OneCare's anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall components
and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to installing WinXP SP3 and/or
IE8?

> I don't think I have [Restore] Points.

Please check & see if you do (and I'm not referring to any OneCare backups).

The above notwithstanding:

1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your
desktop: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) then
double-click on the saved file to run the utility. Do not TOUCH the
computer or keyboard until the run completes.

3. Reboot & test.
--
~PA Bear

"MTsang987" <MTsang987@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7CB952B3-4669-4BEC-839E-28D31B543790@microsoft.com...
>I have the normal (non-Classic) Start Menu. At first it did not appear in
> the Start Menu.
>
> I went to Customize the Start Menu and under Internet, I saw that nothing
> was selected in the Internet drop-down box. I changed the value in the
> dropdown box to Internet Explorer. That solved it being on the Start Menu.

> I was able to create a shortcut on the desktop by dragging and drop Internet
> Explorer from the Start Menu.

You shouldn't have had to have done that. There is another customization
in Display Properties that you could try... Or not? YMMV. I was going
to point out Customize Desktop... but I don't see an IE item in there
any more either. But I still do have the special IE icon on the Desktop.
I.e. not an Internet Shortcut and different right-click menu than the one
in the Start menu. Weird.

> However, I still do not have Internet Explorer in the Start --> All
> programs. How do I add it there.

I think it would be a good idea for you to look at both your current user's
and All Users Start menus in Explorer windows. Right-click on the Start
button and use both the Open and the Open All Users menu items.
Then drill down in the Programs folder of each.

FWIW I only have a shortcut for Internet Explorer in the current user's
Start Menu\Programs folder. And it's just a regular Desktop shortcut
(aka .lnk file) with Target like: "F:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

I have no idea why you would have to regenerate these items manually.

HTH

Robert
---