SP3 blocker expired

Richard Fangnail

SP3 blocker expired
Last year I installed something to make AutoUpdates not suggest SP3.
It just expired (this expiration date is mentioned in the official
page for the blocker).

It was just suggested by AutoUpdates but I unchecked it. I just hope
it doesn't keep asking me if I want it.
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: SP3 blocker expired
Richard Fangnail wrote:

> Last year I installed something to make AutoUpdates not suggest SP3.
> It just expired (this expiration date is mentioned in the official
> page for the blocker).
>
> It was just suggested by AutoUpdates but I unchecked it. I just hope
> it doesn't keep asking me if I want it.

I expect it will.

Keep in mind that you'll have to install it within the next 12 months, unless
you don't mind your computer being taken over by hackers.

Harry.

Re: SP3 blocker expired
I'm not sure you can "hide" a Windows Service Pack, Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:
> Richard Fangnail wrote:
>
>> Last year I installed something to make AutoUpdates not suggest SP3.
>> It just expired (this expiration date is mentioned in the official
>> page for the blocker).
>>
>> It was just suggested by AutoUpdates but I unchecked it. I just hope
>> it doesn't keep asking me if I want it.

> I expect it will.
>
> Keep in mind that you'll have to install it within the next 12 months,
> unless you don't mind your computer being taken over by hackers.
>
> Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: SP3 blocker expired
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> I'm not sure you can "hide" a Windows Service Pack, Harry.

That would be my presumption.

Harry.

> Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:
>> Richard Fangnail wrote:
>>
>>> Last year I installed something to make AutoUpdates not suggest SP3.
>>> It just expired (this expiration date is mentioned in the official
>>> page for the blocker).
>>>
>>> It was just suggested by AutoUpdates but I unchecked it. I just hope
>>> it doesn't keep asking me if I want it.

>> I expect it will.
>>
>> Keep in mind that you'll have to install it within the next 12 months,
>> unless you don't mind your computer being taken over by hackers.
>>
>> Harry.

TaurArian

Re: SP3 blocker expired
SP3 is hidden on the computer I'm using now (at work), it has downloaded and
still remains in the temporary download folder.
I checked don't show me this update again and it hasn't come back nagging to
be installed.

I note however, if you manually scan the WU site, you'll be re-offered the
update on the first screen and then allowed to move on and ignore it and scan
for other updates applicable to your system.

You don't have to repeatedly hide this update on AU and you can ignore it
completely when manually scanning.

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure you can "hide" a Windows Service Pack, Harry.

> That would be my presumption.
>
> Harry.
>

> > Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:

> >> I expect it will.
> >>
> >> Keep in mind that you'll have to install it within the next 12 months,
> >> unless you don't mind your computer being taken over by hackers.
> >>
> >> Harry.

Re: SP3 blocker expired
QED: Would you have been able to hide it if it had not been downloaded via
AU beforehand?

QED: Now that the blocker's expired, would you be able to reproduce this?

QED: How will you be able to maintain the machine's security if SP3 isn't
installed by July 2010 (in which case it will not be offered ANY further
critical updates)?
--
~Devil's Advocate

TaurArian wrote:
> SP3 is hidden on the computer I'm using now (at work), it has downloaded
> and
> still remains in the temporary download folder.
> I checked don't show me this update again and it hasn't come back nagging
> be installed.
>
> I note however, if you manually scan the WU site, you'll be re-offered the
> update on the first screen and then allowed to move on and ignore it and
> scan for other updates applicable to your system.
>
> You don't have to repeatedly hide this update on AU and you can ignore it
> completely when manually scanning.

>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure you can "hide" a Windows Service Pack, Harry.

>> That would be my presumption.
>>
>> Harry.

TaurArian

Re: SP3 blocker expired
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
:: QED: Would you have been able to hide it if it had not been
:: downloaded via AU beforehand?

Possibly - it's a work computer so I don't experiment with it.

::
:: QED: Now that the blocker's expired, would you be able to reproduce
:: this?

The computer never had the blocker installed therefore not relevant.

:: QED: How will you be able to maintain the machine's security if SP3
:: isn't installed by July 2010 (in which case it will not be offered
:: ANY further critical updates)?

After July 2010, the computer/s will not be able to maintain any security. I
don't envisage IT doing anything about it.

I don't even know what's happening with the server or even if that's being
updated. It's a strange network he (IT) set up.

:: --
:: ~Devil's Advocate
::
::
:: TaurArian wrote:
::: SP3 is hidden on the computer I'm using now (at work), it has
::: downloaded and
::: still remains in the temporary download folder.
::: I checked don't show me this update again and it hasn't come back
::: nagging to
::: be installed.
:::
::: I note however, if you manually scan the WU site, you'll be
::: re-offered the update on the first screen and then allowed to move
::: on and ignore it and scan for other updates applicable to your
::: system.
:::
::: You don't have to repeatedly hide this update on AU and you can
::: ignore it completely when manually scanning.
:::
::: K
:::
:::
:::
:::: PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
::::
::::: I'm not sure you can "hide" a Windows Service Pack, Harry.
::::
:::: That would be my presumption.
::::
:::: Harry.
::::
:::::
::::: Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:
:::::: Richard Fangnail wrote:
::::::
::::::: Last year I installed something to make AutoUpdates not suggest
::::::: SP3. It just expired (this expiration date is mentioned in the
::::::: official page for the blocker).
:::::::