Re: Error Code 80072F78

Rickusha

Re: Error Code 80072F78

Guys you are all doing the wrong thing the problem is with your winsock,
it has been changed or maybe corrupted. You need to reset your winsock
file. To do this in Vista goto
Start/All Programs/Accessories/
right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator
in the command window type the following without quotes
"netsh winsock reset"
exit command prompt and reboot
Presto it is fixed, all updates should now work.
Send me email if you get it to work rhuffman@telus.net

You can also try to reset the TCP/IP, type this
"netsh int ip reset"
reboot
do the 1st suggestion, it is usally the one that fixes the problem
(Make me Laugh HP tech support could not figure this out, being a
former tech i remembered my Win95 Days and I figured this one out pretty
Quick)
Cheers to you all Hope This Works For you all

--
Rickusha
Rickusha's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/99380.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

MowGreen

Re: Error Code 80072F78
Rickusha wrote:

> Guys you are all doing the wrong thing the problem is with your winsock,
> it has been changed or maybe corrupted. You need to reset your winsock
> file. To do this in Vista goto
> Start/All Programs/Accessories/
> right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator
> in the command window type the following without quotes
> "netsh winsock reset"
> exit command prompt and reboot
> Presto it is fixed, all updates should now work.
> Send me email if you get it to work rhuffman@telus.net
>
> You can also try to reset the TCP/IP, type this
> "netsh int ip reset"
> reboot
> do the 1st suggestion, it is usally the one that fixes the problem
> (Make me Laugh HP tech support could not figure this out, being a
> former tech i remembered my Win95 Days and I figured this one out pretty
> Quick)
> Cheers to you all Hope This Works For you all

NO, you are doing the 'wrong thing' by NOT quoting the thread to which
you've responded to PLUS, the thread is over 2 years old:

> 28-03-2007

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/725925.htm

Since your response is now on the Public MS WindowsUpdate newsgroup with
no reference to *anything* except the 80072F78 error code, it's
basically useless to everyone who is not visiting the techarena forum.

Thanks for almost nothing.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
In888Him

Re: Error Code 80072F78

Rickusha;4419916 Wrote:
> Guys you are all doing the wrong thing the problem is with your winsock,
> it has been changed or maybe corrupted. You need to reset your winsock
> file. To do this in Vista goto
> Start/All Programs/Accessories/
> right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator
> in the command window type the following without quotes
> "netsh winsock reset"
> exit command prompt and reboot
> Presto it is fixed, all updates should now work.
> Send me email if you get it to work rhuffman@telus.net
>
> You can also try to reset the TCP/IP, type this
> "netsh int ip reset"
> reboot
> do the 1st suggestion, it is usally the one that fixes the problem
> (Make me Laugh HP tech support could not figure this out, being a
> former tech i remembered my Win95 Days and I figured this one out pretty
> Quick)
> Cheers to you all Hope This Works For you all

It is with interest that I read the reply to your effort of helping
people with the above error messeage. I am a pastor with more than a
passing knowledge of computers and I have been busy "fixing" a PC of a
friend of mine. The problem was this error message when trying to
download and install Vista Ultimate SP 1. I also downloaded the
Standalone Sp1 and Sp2 and wrote them to a DVD. Still the same problem.

By God's Grace after searching for three (3) days solid for any type of
fix and after trying I don't know how many useless ones I somehow ended
up at your thread completely by accident or as I know to be providence
of God. I was not impressed by the comment of the person just after your
fix and I don't care that your fix was an answer to a 2year old enquiry.
It is still relevant for today so:-

WELL DONE TO YOU SIR!!!!!!

It fixed my un-fixable problem that had been frustrating me for as I
have said three (3) days solid.

Anyone else with the Error code 80072F78, try the winsock fix. That is
all it took to get the gremlin out of the PC system that I was trying to
fix .

Again I say to you sir a very LARGE thank you.

To you Mow Green. Please don't be so caustic and quick to reply in the
manner that you did as it causes people who have also knowledge to
impart , to no longer do so. Please remember that many old fixes for old
problems still work today for Windows Vista programs as in my case.
Please do not be offended as I am just trying to make sure fixes that
other people have are offered instead of them not coming forward as
they might feel threatened that their fixes might be out of date. In my
case a 2 yr.old fix worked where no other numerous fixes from at least
five of the other biggest help forums worked . May God bless you all on
this forum and see you all around.

--
In888Him
In888Him's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/110518.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/725925.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

WhiplashInfo

Re: Error Code 80072F78

This winsock reset didn't helped me. Still unable to update
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
1.61.1063.0)

Thanks / Tomas

--
WhiplashInfo
WhiplashInfo's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/97937.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/725925.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

TaurArian

Re: Error Code 80072F78
WhiplashInfo wrote:
:: This winsock reset didn't helped me. Still unable to update
:: Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
:: 1.61.1063.0)
::
:: Thanks / Tomas
::
::
:: --
:: WhiplashInfo
:: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
:: WhiplashInfo's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/97937.htm
:: View this thread:
:: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/725925.htm
::
:: http://forums.techarena.in

How to troubleshoot definition update issues for Windows Defender
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918355

Perhaps a manual update - Threat Research and Response
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/
Newsgroup for Windows Defender:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...s/default.mspx

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org