80070002 - again!

Ciceronian

80070002 - again!
I have the same problem as so many others - WU downloads updates but fails to
apply them, reporting the above error number. However, I have another issue
that may be related. Whenever I start Windows (Vista SP2 32 bit), or load a
DVD, the Windows Installer window appears. This progresses until the green
bar is about 70% completed, then disappears; Windows continues normally.
Could this be preventing WU from running? Any suggestions for how to clear
Installer?
Ǝиçεl

RE: 80070002 - again!
Hello "Ciceronian",

If you receive Windows Update error 80070002 while checking for updates, you
need to remove the temporary update files that Windows uses to identify
updates for your computer. To remove the temporary files, stop the Windows
Update service, delete the temporary update files, restart the Windows Update
service, and then try to check for Windows updates again.
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/c5f4d9e0-3eb6-426b-8118-0cedf489a75f1033.mspx>
-=-
You receive a "0x80070002" or "0x80070003" error code after you download an
update from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or from Windows Server
Update Services:

<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=910336>

Error message when you use the Windows Update Web site or Microsoft Update
Web site to install updates: "0x80070002":
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956698> and/or
<http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/showarticle.aspx?articleid=17&ln=en&IsMu=False>
-=-

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows
Server Update Services installation issues:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602/>
-=-

You could always...

<https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527>

security updates.

site: <http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx>

your usual support contacts.
-=-

Let me look a little bit more about the Installer problem, maybe someone
else can conjure up something else to try.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"Ciceronian" wrote:

> I have the same problem as so many others - WU downloads updates but fails to
> apply them, reporting the above error number. However, I have another issue
> that may be related. Whenever I start Windows (Vista SP2 32 bit), or load a
> DVD, the Windows Installer window appears. This progresses until the green
> bar is about 70% completed, then disappears; Windows continues normally.
> Could this be preventing WU from running? Any suggestions for how to clear
> Installer?

Re: 80070002 - again!
Installing Vista SP2 manually is not going to resolve your problems
(especially since no updates for Vista SP2 have been released yet).

There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075