Microsoft Update offering some update for ATI graphic card datedto 2004

kakii

Microsoft Update offering some update for ATI graphic card datedto 2004

Machine with ATI 9600XT graphic card and win xp pro sp3.
Regarding ATI card I used to pull down and install device
drivers released by ATI.
In the moment the installed ATI software and device driver is
8.552-081028a-070226C-ATI.
This version has been released some when in 2008.

However the Microsoft Update is offering me following piece of soft:

Optional hardware updates
ATI Technologies Inc. ASUS RADEON A9600XT

ATI Technologies, Inc - Video - ASUS RADEON A9600XT
Download size: 5.3 MB , less than 1 minute
ATI Technologies Inc. display software update released on June 10 2004.
Details...
Don't show this update again

-----
ATI Technologies, Inc - Video - ASUS RADEON A9600XT
Date last published: 3/15/2005
Download size: 5.3 MB
ATI Technologies Inc. display software update released on June 10 2004.
System Requirements
Recommended CPU: Not specified.
Recommended memory: Not specified.
Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
Get help and support
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/

What is this update exactly about?
Why is just Microsoft offering this update?
Is this a complete device driver or rather a patch?
Why didn't ATI included this in own device driver?
Why is MS update offering me such old piece of old - released on June 10
2004?
ATI device driver installed in the moment are from 2008!!!
Shenan Stanley

Re: Microsoft Update offering some update for ATI graphic card dated to 2004
kakii wrote:
> Machine with ATI 9600XT graphic card and win xp pro sp3.
> Regarding ATI card I used to pull down and install device
> drivers released by ATI.
> In the moment the installed ATI software and device driver is
> 8.552-081028a-070226C-ATI.
> This version has been released some when in 2008.
>
> However the Microsoft Update is offering me following piece of soft:
>
> Optional hardware updates
> ATI Technologies Inc. ASUS RADEON A9600XT
>
> ATI Technologies, Inc - Video - ASUS RADEON A9600XT
> Download size: 5.3 MB , less than 1 minute
> ATI Technologies Inc. display software update released on June 10
> 2004. Details...
> Don't show this update again
>
> -----
> ATI Technologies, Inc - Video - ASUS RADEON A9600XT
> Date last published: 3/15/2005
> Download size: 5.3 MB
> ATI Technologies Inc. display software update released on June 10
> 2004. System Requirements
> Recommended CPU: Not specified.
> Recommended memory: Not specified.
> Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
> Get help and support
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/
>
> What is this update exactly about?
> Why is just Microsoft offering this update?
> Is this a complete device driver or rather a patch?
> Why didn't ATI included this in own device driver?
> Why is MS update offering me such old piece of old - released on
> June 10 2004?
> ATI device driver installed in the moment are from 2008!!!

Do a quick Google search and you will see that *most* will recommend that
you always get your hardware device drivers straight from the manufacturer
that made/supports said product. In this case - ATI/AMD.

Do not get your hardware device drivers from Microsoft. They did not
manufacturer said hardware and their drivers can be many months (or beyond)
in age and usually are many versions behind what the actual manufacturer
suggests today.

In other words - click on "Don't show this update again" and move on - wiser
than you came in.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

kakii

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Do not get your hardware device drivers from Microsoft. They did not
> manufacturer said hardware and their drivers can be many months (or beyond)
> in age and usually are many versions behind what the actual manufacturer
> suggests today.

Microsoft should then stop irritating users by such strange updates.

kakii wrote:
> Microsoft should then stop irritating users by such strange updates.

*shrug*

If something you can choose to ignore very easily irritates you so much -
not so sure that is anyone elses issue. ;-)

Everyone is different, so maybe someone out there loves it as much as you
hate it.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

kakii

Re: Microsoft Update offering some update for ATI graphic card datedto 2004

> If something you can choose to ignore very easily irritates you so much -
> not so sure that is anyone elses issue. ;-)
>
> Everyone is different, so maybe someone out there loves it as much as you
> hate it.

It is indeed irritating because it generates clarification efforts.