Windows Update error 80070103

David S.

Windows Update error 80070103
Windows Update error 80070103 for nVidia - NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Just recently I got an update for nVidia - NVIDIA nForce Networking
Controller, and i tried to update it countless times and I keep getting
Windows Update error 80070103. Does anyone know what the problem is?
Ǝиçεl

RE: Windows Update error 80070103
Hello David,

You should NOT use winupdate for hardware drivers, use only the
manufacturers sites, and then unless its to cure a bug or increase
functionality why update a driver?

If it aint broke, dont fix it
-=-

--

"David S." wrote:

> Windows Update error 80070103 for nVidia - NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
>
> Just recently I got an update for nVidia - NVIDIA nForce Networking
> Controller, and i tried to update it countless times and I keep getting
> Windows Update error 80070103. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Re: Windows Update error 80070103
Vista: Run Windows Update manually & "hide" the update.

WinXP: Go to Window Update website | select CUSTOM and scan | "hide" the
update

David S. wrote:
> Windows Update error 80070103 for nVidia - NVIDIA nForce Networking
> Controller
>
> Just recently I got an update for nVidia - NVIDIA nForce Networking
> Controller, and i tried to update it countless times and I keep getting
> Windows Update error 80070103. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Russ MacDonald

Re: Windows Update error 80070103
I received this update and got the same 80070103 error.

The error was caused by the same thing as the OP. It is trying to update my
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE driver.

This update was delivered by Microsoft and labeled as an 'Important Update'.

Questions:

1) If we are supposed to go only to the manufacturer for this type of
update, why would MS bundle it with other important updates?

2) How do your 'hide' an update in the Vista Windows Update screen? I can
see a button to 'Restore Hidden Updates' but no button to hide updates.

Thanks,
--
Russ

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Vista: Run Windows Update manually & "hide" the update.
>
> WinXP: Go to Window Update website | select CUSTOM and scan | "hide" the
> update
>

> David S. wrote:
> > Windows Update error 80070103 for nVidia - NVIDIA nForce Networking
> > Controller
> >
> > Just recently I got an update for nVidia - NVIDIA nForce Networking
> > Controller, and i tried to update it countless times and I keep getting
> > Windows Update error 80070103. Does anyone know what the problem is?

MowGreen

Re: Windows Update error 80070103
2) Click the 'View available updates' link and then *right* click on the
driver update and choose Hide.

1) 80070103 ERROR_NO_MORE_ITEMS
The error is deceptive as the ITEMS referred to are Hardware IDs
(HWID)to install to as opposed to a package missing from an update.
WU's detection determined that the best match for the HWID has been
installed and Plug and Play is supposed to ignore IF the driver package
also can install on additional HWIDs. What happens with video drivers in
Vista/Win7 is that the video class installer doesn't honor that
agreement. A specific case would be a dual-head video adapter. Since
they have different HWIDs (to distinguish primary head from secondary
head), WU publishes two different updates that actually have the same
driver package as the payload.
When it comes time to install the driver updates:
1) WU installs the first update, calling InstallWindowsUpdateDriver
with the designated HWID for that update (it can be for the primary or
the secondary head, order is unpredictable and doesn't matter). PnP
finds the right device and hands the package off to the class installer.
2) The class installer installs the driver for the device then,
being responsible, figures out that the driver package also works for
the other device. So it updates the driver for the other device as well.
3) InstallWindowsUpdateDriver returns and WU is happy that the
first update successfully installed.
4) WU now installs the second update, calling
InstallWindowsUpdateDriver with the second HWID. Since the driver was
already installed on the second device, PnP doesn't find that it's a
better match for anything and returns the 80070103 error.

In summation, when one receives the 80070103 error installing driver
updates, head over to the manufacturer's site for the driver.

AND, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is always the most prudent way to
to determine when device drivers need updating.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Russ MacDonald wrote:

> I received this update and got the same 80070103 error.
>
> The error was caused by the same thing as the OP. It is trying to update my
> NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE driver.
>
> This update was delivered by Microsoft and labeled as an 'Important Update'.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) If we are supposed to go only to the manufacturer for this type of
> update, why would MS bundle it with other important updates?
>
> 2) How do your 'hide' an update in the Vista Windows Update screen? I can
> see a button to 'Restore Hidden Updates' but no button to hide updates.
>
> Thanks,

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Russ MacDonald wrote:

> Questions:
>
> 1) If we are supposed to go only to the manufacturer for this type of
> update, why would MS bundle it with other important updates?

This is one of the things that Microsoft and (most) MVPs and other independent
experts disagree on.

Harry.