Problems with installation of security update kb969615

andersbp

Problems with installation of security update kb969615
Hi,

I have a problem when I will install the latest security update to Microsoft
PowerPoint 2003 (kb969615), a security update Microsoft has released May 12,
2009.

When I visit Microsoft Update and select scans after all updates, Microsoft
Update has installed a other update to Microsoft PowerPoint (KB957784), but
not security update kb969615.

When I now try to install security update kb969615 , I see the following
message:
There are no products affected by this package installed on this system.

I am somewhat confused by this message, because I normaly use a third party
security scanner there is tell me about new security updates to Windows,
Office or other software I have installed on my computer. This third party
security scanner is Secunia PSI, and this security scanner is recommend that
I install security update kb969615. I have also used F-Secure Online-scanner,
and this program also recommend that I install security update kb969615.

Have other users experienced the same problem, or have other users a
suggested solution to how I can install kb969615?

I have tried to uninstall Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 and reinstall it, but
unfortunately I have the same problem.

I have a additional question I hope one of the person can answer:

How can I remove a installed security update (e.g. a security update to
Microsoft Office) I have installed via Microsoft Update, but I can not remove
via Add / remove programms in the Windows Control Panel?

I using Windows XP Service Pack 3 as operating system, and I use Microsoft
Office 2003 Service Pack 3 with all installed security updates (but not
kb969615).

Many thanks in advance for any answers, and have a nice day.

Regards,
Anders Boholdt-Petersen, Denmark

Re: Problems with installation of security update kb969615
KB969615 only applies to MS PowerPoint *Viewer* 2003; it does not apply to
MS PowerPoint 2003 SP3.

If MS PowerPoint *Viewer* 2003 is not installed, you don't need KB969615 and
it will not be offered by Windows Update. If Secunia's telling you that you
need it, take it up with Secunia, please.

andersbp wrote:
> I have a problem when I will install the latest security update to
> Microsoft
> PowerPoint 2003 (kb969615), a security update Microsoft has released May
> 12,
> 2009.
>
> When I visit Microsoft Update and select scans after all updates,
> Microsoft
> Update has installed a other update to Microsoft PowerPoint (KB957784),
> but
> not security update kb969615.
>
> When I now try to install security update kb969615 , I see the following
> message:
> There are no products affected by this package installed on this system.
>
> I am somewhat confused by this message, because I normaly use a third
> party
> security scanner there is tell me about new security updates to Windows,
> Office or other software I have installed on my computer. This third party
> security scanner is Secunia PSI, and this security scanner is recommend
> that
> I install security update kb969615. I have also used F-Secure
> Online-scanner, and this program also recommend that I install security
> update kb969615.
>
> Have other users experienced the same problem, or have other users a
> suggested solution to how I can install kb969615?
>
> I have tried to uninstall Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 and reinstall it, but
> unfortunately I have the same problem.
>
> I have a additional question I hope one of the person can answer:
>
> How can I remove a installed security update (e.g. a security update to
> Microsoft Office) I have installed via Microsoft Update, but I can not
> remove via Add / remove programms in the Windows Control Panel?
>
> I using Windows XP Service Pack 3 as operating system, and I use Microsoft
> Office 2003 Service Pack 3 with all installed security updates (but not
> kb969615).
>
> Many thanks in advance for any answers, and have a nice day.
>
> Regards,
> Anders Boholdt-Petersen, Denmark

andersbp

Re: Problems with installation of security update kb969615
Hi,

Thanks for your message.

1. what is the difference between MS PowerPoint *Viewer* 2003 and MS
PowerPoint 2003 SP3, and how can I check if I have one or the other program
installed?

2. It is posible to remove security updates I have installed via Microsoft
Update?

Microsoft Update describes that I can remove installed security updates from
Add / Remove Programs in Windows Control Panel, but I have ascertain that not
all installed security Updates can be removed via Add / Remove programs in
Windows Control Panel.

I will tried to contact Secunia and F-Secure regarding detection of security
update KB969615, so hopefully the developers of the programs can fix the
errors in the security-scanners.

Thanks for the answers.

Regards,
Anders, Denmark

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> KB969615 only applies to MS PowerPoint *Viewer* 2003; it does not apply to
> MS PowerPoint 2003 SP3.
>
> If MS PowerPoint *Viewer* 2003 is not installed, you don't need KB969615 and
> it will not be offered by Windows Update. If Secunia's telling you that you
> need it, take it up with Secunia, please.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> andersbp wrote:
> > I have a problem when I will install the latest security update to
> > Microsoft
> > PowerPoint 2003 (kb969615), a security update Microsoft has released May
> > 12,
> > 2009.
> >
> > When I visit Microsoft Update and select scans after all updates,
> > Microsoft
> > Update has installed a other update to Microsoft PowerPoint (KB957784),
> > but
> > not security update kb969615.
> >
> > When I now try to install security update kb969615 , I see the following
> > message:
> > There are no products affected by this package installed on this system.
> >
> > I am somewhat confused by this message, because I normaly use a third
> > party
> > security scanner there is tell me about new security updates to Windows,
> > Office or other software I have installed on my computer. This third party
> > security scanner is Secunia PSI, and this security scanner is recommend
> > that
> > I install security update kb969615. I have also used F-Secure
> > Online-scanner, and this program also recommend that I install security
> > update kb969615.
> >
> > Have other users experienced the same problem, or have other users a
> > suggested solution to how I can install kb969615?
> >
> > I have tried to uninstall Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 and reinstall it, but
> > unfortunately I have the same problem.
> >
> > I have a additional question I hope one of the person can answer:
> >
> > How can I remove a installed security update (e.g. a security update to
> > Microsoft Office) I have installed via Microsoft Update, but I can not
> > remove via Add / remove programms in the Windows Control Panel?
> >
> > I using Windows XP Service Pack 3 as operating system, and I use Microsoft
> > Office 2003 Service Pack 3 with all installed security updates (but not
> > kb969615).
> >
> > Many thanks in advance for any answers, and have a nice day.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Anders Boholdt-Petersen, Denmark

Re: Problems with installation of security update kb969615
A1. MS PowerPoint Viewer lets you view full-featured presentations that were
created in MS PowerPoint 97 and later (i.e., without having to
purchase/install MS Office PowerPoint).

A2. In WinXP, any security update listed in Add/Remove Programs can be
uninstalled...assuming a REMOVE or UNINSTALL button is available for the
update.

NB: To be able to see all security updates in Add/Remove Programs, the "Show
Updates" box at the top must be checked.

andersbp wrote:
> [...]
>>> update kb969615.
>>>
>>> Have other users experienced the same problem, or have other users a
>>> suggested solution to how I can install kb969615?
>>>
>>> I have tried to uninstall Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 and reinstall it,
>>> but
>>> unfortunately I have the same problem.
>>>
>>> I have a additional question I hope one of the person can answer:
>>>
>>> How can I remove a installed security update (e.g. a security update to
>>> Microsoft Office) I have installed via Microsoft Update, but I can not
>>> remove via Add / remove programms in the Windows Control Panel?
>>>
>>> I using Windows XP Service Pack 3 as operating system, and I use
>>> Microsoft
>>> Office 2003 Service Pack 3 with all installed security updates (but not
>>> kb969615).
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance for any answers, and have a nice day.

Radu

Re: Problems with installation of security update kb969615
Received exactly same message. Have Office 2003 SP3. Checked the security
bulletin, the powerpoint viewer and associated DLLS are present in the
office11 foilder, some are older, some are newer than the versions in the
bulletin. So regardless what Secunia software flags, the fix should update.
Or not? btw, powerpoint viewer does *not* show in add/remove programs.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> A1. MS PowerPoint Viewer lets you view full-featured presentations that were
> created in MS PowerPoint 97 and later (i.e., without having to
> purchase/install MS Office PowerPoint).
>
> A2. In WinXP, any security update listed in Add/Remove Programs can be
> uninstalled...assuming a REMOVE or UNINSTALL button is available for the
> update.
>
> NB: To be able to see all security updates in Add/Remove Programs, the "Show
> Updates" box at the top must be checked.
>

> andersbp wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for your message.
> >
> > 1. what is the difference between MS PowerPoint *Viewer* 2003 and MS
> > PowerPoint 2003 SP3, and how can I check if I have one or the other
> > program
> > installed?
> >
> > 2. It is posible to remove security updates I have installed via Microsoft
> > Update?
> >
> > Microsoft Update describes that I can remove installed security updates
> > from
> > Add / Remove Programs in Windows Control Panel, but I have ascertain that
> > not all installed security Updates can be removed via Add / Remove
> > programs
> > in Windows Control Panel.
> >
> > I will tried to contact Secunia and F-Secure regarding detection of
> > security
> > update KB969615, so hopefully the developers of the programs can fix the
> > errors in the security-scanners.
> >
> > Thanks for the answers.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Anders, Denmark
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> KB969615 only applies to MS PowerPoint *Viewer* 2003; it does not apply
> >> MS PowerPoint 2003 SP3.
> >>
> >> If MS PowerPoint *Viewer* 2003 is not installed, you don't need KB969615
> >> and it will not be offered by Windows Update. If Secunia's telling you
> >> that you need it, take it up with Secunia, please.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Problems with installation of security update kb969615
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about /your/ specific
problems. State your IE version, full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
Vista SP2), and PowerPoint applications & versions in your first post.

Radu wrote:
> Received exactly same message. Have Office 2003 SP3. Checked the
> security
> bulletin, the powerpoint viewer and associated DLLS are present in the
> office11 foilder, some are older, some are newer than the versions in the
> bulletin. So regardless what Secunia software flags, the fix should
> update.
> Or not? btw, powerpoint viewer does *not* show in add/remove programs.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> A1. MS PowerPoint Viewer lets you view full-featured presentations that
>> were created in MS PowerPoint 97 and later (i.e., without having to
>> purchase/install MS Office PowerPoint).
>>
>> A2. In WinXP, any security update listed in Add/Remove Programs can be
>> uninstalled...assuming a REMOVE or UNINSTALL button is available for the
>> update.
>>
>> NB: To be able to see all security updates in Add/Remove Programs, the
>> "Show Updates" box at the top must be checked.
>>

>> andersbp wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your message.
>>>
>>> 1. what is the difference between MS PowerPoint *Viewer* 2003 and MS
>>> PowerPoint 2003 SP3, and how can I check if I have one or the other
>>> program
>>> installed?
>>>
>>> 2. It is posible to remove security updates I have installed via
>>> Microsoft
>>> Update?
>>>
>>> Microsoft Update describes that I can remove installed security updates
>>> from
>>> Add / Remove Programs in Windows Control Panel, but I have ascertain
>>> that
>>> not all installed security Updates can be removed via Add / Remove
>>> programs
>>> in Windows Control Panel.
>>>
>>> I will tried to contact Secunia and F-Secure regarding detection of
>>> security
>>> update KB969615, so hopefully the developers of the programs can fix the
>>> errors in the security-scanners.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the answers.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Anders, Denmark

andersbp

Re: Problems with installation of security update kb969615
Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

It is posible for Microsoft to take a look on the problem I describe?

I can not remove PowerPoint Viewer 2003, because I not have installed the
program on my system. Can I download PowerPoint Viewer for free, if yes, do
you have a link to the download page?

Very thanks for your answers.

Regards,
Anders, Denmark
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about /your/ specific
> problems. State your IE version, full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
> Vista SP2), and PowerPoint applications & versions in your first post.
>
> Radu wrote:
> > Received exactly same message. Have Office 2003 SP3. Checked the
> > security
> > bulletin, the powerpoint viewer and associated DLLS are present in the
> > office11 foilder, some are older, some are newer than the versions in the
> > bulletin. So regardless what Secunia software flags, the fix should
> > update.
> > Or not? btw, powerpoint viewer does *not* show in add/remove programs.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> A1. MS PowerPoint Viewer lets you view full-featured presentations that
> >> were created in MS PowerPoint 97 and later (i.e., without having to
> >> purchase/install MS Office PowerPoint).
> >>
> >> A2. In WinXP, any security update listed in Add/Remove Programs can be
> >> uninstalled...assuming a REMOVE or UNINSTALL button is available for the
> >> update.
> >>
> >> NB: To be able to see all security updates in Add/Remove Programs, the

Re: Problems with installation of security update kb969615
There is no problem: You don't have PowerPoint Viewer 2003 installed so
Windows Update didn't offer KB969615 to your computer (since you don't need
it, despite what Secunia says). For the same reason, you cannot install
KB969615 manually either.

If you didn't have PowerPoint 2003 SP3 installed, Windows Update wouldn't
have offered KB957784 to your computer, Anders.

If you need additional assistance, please see the "How to obtain help..."
section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969615 or
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957784.

andersbp wrote:
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> It is posible for Microsoft to take a look on the problem I describe?
>
> I can not remove PowerPoint Viewer 2003, because I not have installed the
> program on my system. Can I download PowerPoint Viewer for free, if yes,
> do
> you have a link to the download page?

<snip>

Harry Johnston [MVP]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> There is no problem: You don't have PowerPoint Viewer 2003 installed so
> Windows Update didn't offer KB969615 to your computer (since you don't
> need it, despite what Secunia says). For the same reason, you cannot
> install KB969615 manually either.

Secunia uses Windows Update to determine which Windows and Office updates are
needed, so there may indeed be something odd going on.

Anders, when you visit the Microsoft Update web site, does it detect KB969615 as
needed?

Harry.
komapuk

Re: Problems with installation of security update kb969615
Okay, here is the issue. I am getting the same messages as the other users in
this string. I have windows xp systems, with MS Offive 2003 (I believe with
SP3). We have the full installation of powerpoint on the system. I am using
Patchlink as my security scanner and it is showing the powerpoint viewer 2003
as a security risk. Now my systems do not have powerpoint viewer 2003
installed. However, patchlink also provides the location of the the file it
shows to be vulnerable. This is
"File version for file C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office11\pptview.exe (11.0.8164.0) is less than 11.0.8305.0
(date=2007/04/19)".
Now when I got to this location I find the file in question. When I double
click on the file it launches powerpoint viewer 2003. (Which is not installed
and not available for removal from the add/remove programs location) So my
question is why does the windows update not update this area since while it
is not installed on my computers it is definitely on my systems.
Thanks Vic