Office 2007 SP2 update problems

Bill Manville

Office 2007 SP2 update problems
I had 2 failed attempts by Microsoft Update to install Office 2007 SP2
on a Windows XP Virtual PC. Error codes were 8024002D the first time
and 80070643 the second time.

It would be very helpful if there was somewhere where we could find a
translation of these error codes.

In the absence of any translation I searched MSKB, Windows Update FAQ,
and newsgroups without finding anything to help, so I took advantage of
the link to report an update problem by email as a free support
incident. I opted in to sending the log information.

I got an acknowledgment (1101955637) by email promising a response
within a day. :-). I looked forward to getting a response with
information about the cause of the specific problem and its resolution.

And I got a response within a day suggesting I search MSKB or ask a
question on the newsgroups or call 'to discuss other support options'.
Can't say I was over-impressed. :-(

Meanwhile, on a hunch, I noticed that the virtual PC disk had only
about 1GByte free. I freed up some more space and tried again and the
update was successful.

Why am I sharing all this:
- I would like to know, if something similar happens again, where to go
for information on the error codes
- The report-a-problem mechanism promised more than it delivered; was I
unlucky?
- Maybe others will hit the same problems and benefit from my
resolution.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

JS

Re: Office 2007 SP2 update problems
What is the total size of your Virtual disk?

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

Js wrote:
> What is the total size of your Virtual disk?

16G

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

JS

Re: Office 2007 SP2 update problems
Only thing I can surmise is that during the
Update there are usually one or more temporary
folders created which when including the
size of the update and the temp folder sizes
ran too close to using up the 1GB of free
space you mentioned.

--

> Js wrote:
>> What is the total size of your Virtual disk?
>>

> 16G
>
> Bill Manville
> MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Re: Office 2007 SP2 update problems
Known issues that you may experience when you install Office 2007 SP2...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968173

You receive an error message when you try to apply any of the 2007 Office
service packs on a computer that is running WinXP SP2 [or SP3]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942101