Office 2007 SP2 update problems
I had 2 failed attempts by Microsoft Update to install Office 2007 SP2
on a Windows XP Virtual PC. Error codes were 8024002D the first time
and 80070643 the second time.
It would be very helpful if there was somewhere where we could find a
translation of these error codes.
In the absence of any translation I searched MSKB, Windows Update FAQ,
and newsgroups without finding anything to help, so I took advantage of
the link to report an update problem by email as a free support
incident. I opted in to sending the log information.
I got an acknowledgment (1101955637) by email promising a response
within a day. :-). I looked forward to getting a response with
information about the cause of the specific problem and its resolution.
And I got a response within a day suggesting I search MSKB or ask a
question on the newsgroups or call 'to discuss other support options'.
Can't say I was over-impressed. :-(
Meanwhile, on a hunch, I noticed that the virtual PC disk had only
about 1GByte free. I freed up some more space and tried again and the
update was successful.
Why am I sharing all this:
- I would like to know, if something similar happens again, where to go
for information on the error codes
- The report-a-problem mechanism promised more than it delivered; was I
- Maybe others will hit the same problems and benefit from my
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England