Word 2007 conversion problem after update

Jo-Anne

Word 2007 conversion problem after update
I posted the following problem to the Word Conversion newsgroup but didn't
get any help, so I thought I'd try here.

I use both Word 2007 and WordPerfect X3 on my WinXP computer. Generally,
when I want to work on a WordPerfect file in Word, I first convert it to
Word 97/2000/2002/2003 for Windows--as a .doc file. I've always been able to
open those files in Word 2007.

However, after the Tuesday, May 5, updates to Word and the Word
Compatibility Pack I've been unable to do so. The error message is: "The
file is not the right file type, (WordPerfect 6.x)." If I then try to open
these .doc files as WordPerfect files (specifying the .wpd extension in
Word), they still won't open. However, if I save a WordPerfect file in
WordPerfect (.wpd) format, I can specify that format in Word and open the
file.

I'd like to continue converting my WordPerfect files to Word before opening
them in Word because that seems to maintain formatting better. Is there a
workaround? Is this something I should report to Microsoft?

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

JS

Re: Word 2007 conversion problem after update
See if you can find a fix for your problem here:
http://news.office-watch.com/?

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"Jo-Anne" <Jo-AnneATnowhere.com> wrote in message
>I posted the following problem to the Word Conversion newsgroup but didn't
>get any help, so I thought I'd try here.
>
> I use both Word 2007 and WordPerfect X3 on my WinXP computer. Generally,
> when I want to work on a WordPerfect file in Word, I first convert it to
> Word 97/2000/2002/2003 for Windows--as a .doc file. I've always been able
> to open those files in Word 2007.
>
> However, after the Tuesday, May 5, updates to Word and the Word
> Compatibility Pack I've been unable to do so. The error message is: "The
> file is not the right file type, (WordPerfect 6.x)." If I then try to open
> these .doc files as WordPerfect files (specifying the .wpd extension in
> Word), they still won't open. However, if I save a WordPerfect file in
> WordPerfect (.wpd) format, I can specify that format in Word and open the
> file.
>
> I'd like to continue converting my WordPerfect files to Word before
> opening them in Word because that seems to maintain formatting better. Is
> there a workaround? Is this something I should report to Microsoft?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

Re: Word 2007 conversion problem after update
Thank you, JS! I couldn't find anything about the Word Compatibility Pack,
but I did see some pretty complex info about uninstalling Word SP2--which I
guess I shouldn't have installed in the first place. Of course, it could be
the other program that's the problem. I guess I'll check with Microsoft.
Maybe there's a fix.

Jo-Anne