IE8 Update doesn't Install

JimG

IE8 Update doesn't Install
Win XP Pro SP3. The Security Update for PWRPT 7 will download but not
install. No error code, just says update failed. Any ideas?

Jim

Re: IE8 Update doesn't Install
What does MS09-017 (PP update) have to do with IE8? (It's not an IE
update.)

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB967340).

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

JimG wrote:
> Win XP Pro SP3. The Security Update for PWRPT 7 will download but not
> install. No error code, just says update failed. Any ideas?
>
> Jim

JimG

Re: IE8 Update doesn't Install
It has to do with IE-8 because the security update for Power Point 7 installs
without a problem in IE-7.

(FYI we have also found that Adobe updates for Acrobat won't install under
IE8, but present no problem under IE-7. Compatibility view doesn't help.
However, compatibility view is essential for the Hewlett-Packard website.)

Jim

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What does MS09-017 (PP update) have to do with IE8? (It's not an IE
> update.)

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB967340).
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>

> JimG wrote:
> > Win XP Pro SP3. The Security Update for PWRPT 7 will download but not
> > install. No error code, just says update failed. Any ideas?
> >
> > Jim

Re: IE8 Update doesn't Install
A specious argument, at best, Jim. Open a free support incident.

JimG wrote:
> It has to do with IE-8 because the security update for Power Point 7
> installs without a problem in IE-7.
>
> (FYI we have also found that Adobe updates for Acrobat won't install under
> IE8, but present no problem under IE-7. Compatibility view doesn't help.
> However, compatibility view is essential for the Hewlett-Packard website.)
>
> Jim
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> What does MS09-017 (PP update) have to do with IE8? (It's not an IE
>> update.)

>> in
>> with
>> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
>> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
>> KB967340).
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:
>>
>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
>> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
>> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>> through
>> your usual support contacts.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>>

>> JimG wrote:
>>> Win XP Pro SP3. The Security Update for PWRPT 7 will download but not
>>> install. No error code, just says update failed. Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Jim

JimG

Re: IE8 Update doesn't Install
Actually it installed in 4 other IE-7 machines. However, I did open support
issue and tried to install it manually by downloading it. Then I got the
more informative message that the failure reason could be due to a corrupted
Install database. So we'll see what support says. I have used the Installer
cleanup utility in the past, so perhaps we'll use it again.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> A specious argument, at best, Jim. Open a free support incident.
>
> JimG wrote:
> > It has to do with IE-8 because the security update for Power Point 7
> > installs without a problem in IE-7.
> >
> > (FYI we have also found that Adobe updates for Acrobat won't install under
> > IE8, but present no problem under IE-7. Compatibility view doesn't help.
> > However, compatibility view is essential for the Hewlett-Packard website.)
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> What does MS09-017 (PP update) have to do with IE8? (It's not an IE
> >> update.)
> >>
> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >>
> >> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> >> in
> >> the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> >> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated
> >> with
> >> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> >> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
> >> KB967340).
> >>
> >> Support for Windows Update:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >>
> >> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
> >> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
> >> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> >>
> >> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> >> through
> >> your usual support contacts.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> >> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Re: IE8 Update doesn't Install
The IE version installed has nothing to do with these MS09-017 failures,
Jim.

PS & OT: You can update Adobe Acrobat/Reader manually. See
http://www.adobe.com/support/securit...apsb09-06.html