windows xp wont start after update..

jak

windows xp wont start after update..
hey guys.. after updating... my xp sp2.. when i turned on the laptop.. it
wouldnt start... i tried safe mode still wont start. i dont know wat to do..
the blue screen says.. "dumping physical memory to disk" and then it says
contact your administrator.. or support group... can anyone help meh out with
this? how do i make it go back to the way it was?..

thanks for your help!

Re: windows xp wont start after update..
Any idea what updates you installed (e.g., WinXP SP2 or SP3)?

jak wrote:
> hey guys.. after updating... my xp sp2.. when i turned on the laptop.. it
> wouldnt start... i tried safe mode still wont start. i dont know wat to
> do..
> the blue screen says.. "dumping physical memory to disk" and then it says
> contact your administrator.. or support group... can anyone help meh out
> with this? how do i make it go back to the way it was?..
>
> thanks for your help!

bgmann

Re: windows xp wont start after update..
Sorry if I'm infringing here. I tried to start a new thread but couldn't. I,
too, have a laptop. The dialog came up to restat computer because of updates.
I restarted the computer and then left so didn't read any messages. However,
upon coming back to the computer the Toshiba logo is sitting there. I have a
menu bar at the bottom saying I can press F2 for setup or F12 for boot menu.
Neither works. My emergency disk doesn't work. Nothing. I have no idea what
updates were installing except automatic. I am in serious trouble here when I
can't even use my emergency disk to boot.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Any idea what updates you installed (e.g., WinXP SP2 or SP3)?
>
> jak wrote:
> > hey guys.. after updating... my xp sp2.. when i turned on the laptop.. it
> > wouldnt start... i tried safe mode still wont start. i dont know wat to
> > do..
> > the blue screen says.. "dumping physical memory to disk" and then it says
> > contact your administrator.. or support group... can anyone help meh out
> > with this? how do i make it go back to the way it was?..
> >
> > thanks for your help!

Harry Johnston [MVP]

bgmann wrote:

> Sorry if I'm infringing here. I tried to start a new thread but couldn't. I,
> too, have a laptop. The dialog came up to restat computer because of updates.
> I restarted the computer and then left so didn't read any messages. However,
> upon coming back to the computer the Toshiba logo is sitting there. I have a
> menu bar at the bottom saying I can press F2 for setup or F12 for boot menu.
> Neither works. My emergency disk doesn't work. Nothing. I have no idea what
> updates were installing except automatic. I am in serious trouble here when I
> can't even use my emergency disk to boot.

This is most likely a hardware problem with your laptop, not related to the
Windows Updates. There's an outside chance a software problem has made the disk
unbootable.

First thing to try is turning the laptop off and then back on again. Hit F2 as
soon as the menu bar appears; does the setup menu appear? If not, that's a
hardware problem. If the laptop is still under warranty talk to the manufacturer.

Harry.

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Any idea what updates you installed (e.g., WinXP SP2 or SP3)?
>>
>> jak wrote:
>>> hey guys.. after updating... my xp sp2.. when i turned on the laptop.. it
>>> wouldnt start... i tried safe mode still wont start. i dont know wat to
>>> do..
>>> the blue screen says.. "dumping physical memory to disk" and then it says
>>> contact your administrator.. or support group... can anyone help meh out
>>> with this? how do i make it go back to the way it was?..
>>>
>>> thanks for your help!

jak

Re: windows xp wont start after update..
i have no idea .. i clicked on windows update on the conctroll panel.. on the
left hand side.. and it took meh to this webpage.. and then lil explaination
mark came up.. saying windows up date % downloaded.. and yeah i was working
while the update was downloading and everythin when i wanted to shutdown the
computer.. it had a lil icon on top right hand corner.. sayin installs update
and shuts down... so i clicked it, then it sed installing update 1 of 31 ..
and it was stuck on 16 for a while.. then the comp shut down.. ever since
then i cant start the wondows. now i tried.. doing repairing installation..
but it said.. "windows determins that the drive is corrupted and cannot be
repaired.." now what do i do?.. i dont wanna reformatt the comp cos i have
data init that i need. and i havnt done any back up.. can i run system
restoration sumhow without starting widows?

thanks for your help!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Any idea what updates you installed (e.g., WinXP SP2 or SP3)?
>
> jak wrote:
> > hey guys.. after updating... my xp sp2.. when i turned on the laptop.. it
> > wouldnt start... i tried safe mode still wont start. i dont know wat to
> > do..
> > the blue screen says.. "dumping physical memory to disk" and then it says
> > contact your administrator.. or support group... can anyone help meh out
> > with this? how do i make it go back to the way it was?..
> >
> > thanks for your help!

Re: windows xp wont start after update..
Right-click on My Computer | select Properties: Post the full second line of
text displayed on the resulting window.

Is Automatic Updates enabled according to Security Center? If not, can you
enable it?

jak wrote:
> i have no idea .. i clicked on windows update on the conctroll panel.. on
> the left hand side.. and it took meh to this webpage.. and then lil
> explaination mark came up.. saying windows up date % downloaded.. and
> yeah
> i was working while the update was downloading and everythin when i wanted
> to shutdown the computer.. it had a lil icon on top right hand corner..
> sayin installs update and shuts down... so i clicked it, then it sed
> installing update 1 of 31 .. and it was stuck on 16 for a while.. then
> the
> comp shut down.. ever since then i cant start the wondows. now i tried..
> doing repairing installation.. but it said.. "windows determins that the
> drive is corrupted and cannot be repaired.." now what do i do?.. i dont
> wanna reformatt the comp cos i have data init that i need. and i havnt
> done
> any back up.. can i run system restoration sumhow without starting widows?
>
> thanks for your help!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Any idea what updates you installed (e.g., WinXP SP2 or SP3)?
>>
>> jak wrote:
>>> hey guys.. after updating... my xp sp2.. when i turned on the laptop..
>>> it
>>> wouldnt start... i tried safe mode still wont start. i dont know wat to
>>> do..
>>> the blue screen says.. "dumping physical memory to disk" and then it
>>> says
>>> contact your administrator.. or support group... can anyone help meh out
>>> with this? how do i make it go back to the way it was?..
>>>
>>> thanks for your help!

bgmann

Re: windows xp wont start after update..
Thanks for the reply. This does not look good. The computer just sits there
or says please wait. Does that mean I need a new hard drive? Why won't the CD
drive come up either? It runs like it is reading the disk.

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> bgmann wrote:
>
> > Sorry if I'm infringing here. I tried to start a new thread but couldn't. I,
> > too, have a laptop. The dialog came up to restat computer because of updates.
> > I restarted the computer and then left so didn't read any messages. However,
> > upon coming back to the computer the Toshiba logo is sitting there. I have a
> > menu bar at the bottom saying I can press F2 for setup or F12 for boot menu.
> > Neither works. My emergency disk doesn't work. Nothing. I have no idea what
> > updates were installing except automatic. I am in serious trouble here when I
> > can't even use my emergency disk to boot.

> This is most likely a hardware problem with your laptop, not related to the
> Windows Updates. There's an outside chance a software problem has made the disk
> unbootable.
>
> First thing to try is turning the laptop off and then back on again. Hit F2 as
> soon as the menu bar appears; does the setup menu appear? If not, that's a
> hardware problem. If the laptop is still under warranty talk to the manufacturer.
>
> Harry.
>

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Any idea what updates you installed (e.g., WinXP SP2 or SP3)?

Harry Johnston [MVP]

bgmann wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. This does not look good. The computer just sits there
> or says please wait. Does that mean I need a new hard drive? Why won't the CD
> drive come up either? It runs like it is reading the disk.

If you can't get the setup to appear, there's definitely a hardware problem. My
first guess would be a motherboard issue, but it could be almost anything. It
isn't likely to be the hard drive.

If it is under warranty contact the manufacturer. Otherwise you'll need to find
someone you trust to repair it.

Harry.