Trouble with Windows Update

YO

Trouble with Windows Update
HELP!!!!!!
I installed IE8 and ran into serious problems with freezing, slowness, etc.
so I uninstalled it and got IE7 back. Since then for over a week and a half
I keep on getting the message that there are updates to download and install
but when I go to Windows Update nothing happens. Then my antivirus program
tells me I am not protected because updates for XP have not been downloaded
and installed. Some times I get the download icon on my notification bar and
when I click it, I get all these items that need to be downloaded. However,
when I click to start the download, the icon disappears and nothing gets
downloaded. If I go to see the update history the items appear with failed
status. This process takes hours since the computer freezes in the process
for periods of time and I get nowhere.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Re: Trouble with Windows Update
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

in the background when you installed and/or uninstalled IE8?