error code 80072efd

mon0512

error code 80072efd
I have not been able to update vista for a while now, i keep getting this
same error code. It says, windows encountered an unknown error.
Can anyone help me?

Re: error code 80072efd
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

mon0512 wrote:
> I have not been able to update vista for a while now, i keep getting this
> same error code. It says, windows encountered an unknown error.
> Can anyone help me?

blaa

Re: error code 80072efd
havent got the so called hijacker or virus or anything else and still get the
code.
windows going down the drain..

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
> infection!
>
> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had
> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has
> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!

> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>
> 2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan
> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
>
> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> **Seek expert assistance in
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup, http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> or other appropriate forums.**
>
> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
>
> =====================
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> mon0512 wrote:
> > I have not been able to update vista for a while now, i keep getting this
> > same error code. It says, windows encountered an unknown error.
> > Can anyone help me?

Re: error code 80072efd
I was replying to mon0512's post only.

blaa wrote:
> havent got the so called hijacker or virus or anything else and still get
> the code.
> windows going down the drain..
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a
>> hijackware
>> infection!
>>
>> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription
>> had
>> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription
>> has
>> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
>> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
>> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!
>>
>> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>>
>> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
>> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
>> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>>
>> 2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection'
>> scan
>> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>
>> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
>> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
>>
>> **Seek expert assistance in
>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**
>>
>> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>>
>> =====================
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:

>> in
>> with
>> security updates.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> mon0512 wrote:
>>> I have not been able to update vista for a while now, i keep getting
>>> this
>>> same error code. It says, windows encountered an unknown error.
>>> Can anyone help me?

TaurArian

Re: error code 80072efd
Start your own thread in future:

Error: 80072EFD = ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT
Translation: Cannot connect to the Internet server

There's a possibility that either a 3rd party firewall, anti-spyware
program, web accelerator, Internet security/antivirus program and/or a proxy
server is interfering with the Windows Update Services (SVCHOST) accessing
the Internet.

Suggest adding the Windows Update website addresses to exceptions/allow list
http://*.update.microsoft.com
https://*.update.microsoft.com
http://download.windowsupdate.com

When accessing the Update site, you receive the 0x80072EE2 or 0x80072EFD
error.
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...=en&IsMu=False

You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows
Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

blaa wrote:
:: havent got the so called hijacker or virus or anything else and
:: still get the code.
:: windows going down the drain..
::
:: "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
::
::: There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a
::: hijackware infection!
:::
[...]
::: requested logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
:::
::: Checking for/Help with Hijackware
::: http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
::: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
::: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
::: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
::: http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
::: http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
:::
::: **Seek expert assistance in
::: http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
::: http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
::: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
::: http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**
:::
::: If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in
::: admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local,
::: reputable and independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer
::: repair shop.
:::
::: =====================
::: Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
::: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
:::
::: Support for Windows Update:
::: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
:::
::: For home users, no-charge support is available by calling
::: 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and in Canada or by contacting
::: your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support
::: calls that are associated with security updates.
::: --
::: ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
::: MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
:::
:::
::: mon0512 wrote:
:::: I have not been able to update vista for a while now, i keep
:::: getting this same error code. It says, windows encountered an
:::: unknown error.
:::: Can anyone help me?

Re: error code 80072efd
[A jar of <urh> Vegemite sez we'll never here from him again]