Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Update issues after removing IE7

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2009
Ohno
 

Posts: n/a
Update issues after removing IE7
Hi all,

I am not sure if this should be cross posted so others can read it or not
but if so any MVP's feel free to do so.

Anyway what I am writing about could be considered a Windows update issue or
an Internet explorer issue.

Here is the deal. For reasons not needed to expand on I was working on a
computer that needed to be reverted to IE6 that had IE7 installed. I wanted
to do this for the person before I installed XPSP3.

After all was done I decided for this machine I was going to use the IE7
blocking tool provided by Microsoft and the IE8 blocking tool provided by
Microsoft.

So as it went. The IE8 blocking tool had been installed several days
earlier. I removed IE7 rebooted a few times for various reasons. Then I
installed SP3 rebooted after which I used the IE7 blocking tool to add the
proper reg key.

Here is where this relates to Windows update.
Normally when IE7 has been installed into a computer it places the following
registry key in place:

HKLM\\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\7.0 with a DWORD entry
called IE6UpdatesHidden.

After you remove IE7 from the computer you would think that the value of
this key would be changed from (1) to (0) or the key would be removed.

In this computer that did not happen. I choose do delete the key rather than
just change the value.

I just wanted everyone to know this happened because I after I deleted the
key the IE6 Windows Updates were once again re-offered. Had I not checked
this out the user would never have known they were not getting offered
updates they needed.

Granted I had a long day and did not actually check the value of the key
before I deleted it as it was not necessary but it must have still been set
to a value of (1) because had it been changed to (0) I would have been
offered the updates before deleting the key.

Just something to be aware of.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Update issues after removing IE7
Kinda hard to follow the narrative there and I really don't know if
installing IE7 creates that Value (or if uninstalling IE7 would delete it or
change its DWORD value), but a lot depends on the environment in which IE7
was installed and uninstalled. Any real-time "systems protections" running
in the background when an IE upgrade is installed or uninstalled can
disallow changes the process would be making to the Registry.

That being said, are you aware that you can "hide" the IE8 upgrade via
Windows Update? (I'm not sure a WinXP machine running IE6 would even be
offered IE7 now that IE8's been released.)

PS: I do have IE7 installed here and I do have that key and Value with a
DWORD value of 1 (one) but I have no idea if installing IE7 (or SP3
afterwards) had anything to do with it, especially since I've "hidden" IE8
on this machine.

I also have this key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\7.0_Beta2

....and it has the IE6UpdatesHidden Value with a DWORD value of 0 (zero).
Mind you, every beta build of IE7 was installed on this machine, including
IE7 Beta 3 and at least two Release Candidate builds so YMMV.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

Ohno wrote:
> I am not sure if this should be cross posted so others can read it or not
> but if so any MVP's feel free to do so.
>
> Anyway what I am writing about could be considered a Windows update issue
> or
> an Internet explorer issue.
>
> Here is the deal. For reasons not needed to expand on I was working on a
> computer that needed to be reverted to IE6 that had IE7 installed. I
> wanted
> to do this for the person before I installed XPSP3.
>
> After all was done I decided for this machine I was going to use the IE7
> blocking tool provided by Microsoft and the IE8 blocking tool provided by
> Microsoft.
>
> So as it went. The IE8 blocking tool had been installed several days
> earlier. I removed IE7 rebooted a few times for various reasons. Then I
> installed SP3 rebooted after which I used the IE7 blocking tool to add the
> proper reg key.
>
> Here is where this relates to Windows update.
> Normally when IE7 has been installed into a computer it places the
> following
> registry key in place:
>
> HKLM\\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\7.0 with a DWORD entry
> called IE6UpdatesHidden.
>
> After you remove IE7 from the computer you would think that the value of
> this key would be changed from (1) to (0) or the key would be removed.
>
> In this computer that did not happen. I choose do delete the key rather
> than
> just change the value.
>
> I just wanted everyone to know this happened because I after I deleted the
> key the IE6 Windows Updates were once again re-offered. Had I not checked
> this out the user would never have known they were not getting offered
> updates they needed.
>
> Granted I had a long day and did not actually check the value of the key
> before I deleted it as it was not necessary but it must have still been
> set
> to a value of (1) because had it been changed to (0) I would have been
> offered the updates before deleting the key.
>
> Just something to be aware of.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2009
Ohno
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Update issues after removing IE7
Thanks for replying.

I do know that IE8 can be hidden with from Windows updates, but for the
folks computers that I used the tool on which simply puts the donotallowIE70
or 80 reg key in place depending on which tool you used is a better choice,
as sometimes I will have them go straight to the Windows update site and
tell them to download all high priority updates and by using the tool they
don't get the annoying you have hidden important updates notice because IE
is not even being offered.

As far as I can tell from blocking IE7 recently on a ton of machines at my
job because our company website still has a few issues with IE7 not one of
them has the key that included the value IE6UpdatesHidden. The only machines
I actually find that key on are machines with IE7 installed. So it is just a
guess for now until I install IE7 in another computer and check the registry
first but I would say the IE7 install creates the key.

Just in case my first message was mis understood. I have no issues at hand,
I just wanted to let everyone know that it is a possibility that if they
uninstall a newer version if IE to opt for an older one that they should
check to see if they have the key in place so they don't miss any important
updates.
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:uNjJ01C1JHA.5440@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Kinda hard to follow the narrative there and I really don't know if
> installing IE7 creates that Value (or if uninstalling IE7 would delete it
> or change its DWORD value), but a lot depends on the environment in which
> IE7 was installed and uninstalled. Any real-time "systems protections"
> running in the background when an IE upgrade is installed or uninstalled
> can disallow changes the process would be making to the Registry.
>
> That being said, are you aware that you can "hide" the IE8 upgrade via
> Windows Update? (I'm not sure a WinXP machine running IE6 would even be
> offered IE7 now that IE8's been released.)
>
> PS: I do have IE7 installed here and I do have that key and Value with a
> DWORD value of 1 (one) but I have no idea if installing IE7 (or SP3
> afterwards) had anything to do with it, especially since I've "hidden" IE8
> on this machine.
>
> I also have this key...
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\7.0_Beta2
>
> ...and it has the IE6UpdatesHidden Value with a DWORD value of 0 (zero).
> Mind you, every beta build of IE7 was installed on this machine, including
> IE7 Beta 3 and at least two Release Candidate builds so YMMV.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>
> Ohno wrote:
>> I am not sure if this should be cross posted so others can read it or not
>> but if so any MVP's feel free to do so.
>>
>> Anyway what I am writing about could be considered a Windows update issue
>> or
>> an Internet explorer issue.
>>
>> Here is the deal. For reasons not needed to expand on I was working on a
>> computer that needed to be reverted to IE6 that had IE7 installed. I
>> wanted
>> to do this for the person before I installed XPSP3.
>>
>> After all was done I decided for this machine I was going to use the IE7
>> blocking tool provided by Microsoft and the IE8 blocking tool provided by
>> Microsoft.
>>
>> So as it went. The IE8 blocking tool had been installed several days
>> earlier. I removed IE7 rebooted a few times for various reasons. Then I
>> installed SP3 rebooted after which I used the IE7 blocking tool to add
>> the
>> proper reg key.
>>
>> Here is where this relates to Windows update.
>> Normally when IE7 has been installed into a computer it places the
>> following
>> registry key in place:
>>
>> HKLM\\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\7.0 with a DWORD entry
>> called IE6UpdatesHidden.
>>
>> After you remove IE7 from the computer you would think that the value of
>> this key would be changed from (1) to (0) or the key would be removed.
>>
>> In this computer that did not happen. I choose do delete the key rather
>> than
>> just change the value.
>>
>> I just wanted everyone to know this happened because I after I deleted
>> the
>> key the IE6 Windows Updates were once again re-offered. Had I not checked
>> this out the user would never have known they were not getting offered
>> updates they needed.
>>
>> Granted I had a long day and did not actually check the value of the key
>> before I deleted it as it was not necessary but it must have still been
>> set
>> to a value of (1) because had it been changed to (0) I would have been
>> offered the updates before deleting the key.
>>
>> Just something to be aware of.

>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Update issues after removing IE7
YW.

Repost:
>> (I'm not sure a WinXP machine running IE6 would even be
>> offered IE7 now that IE8's been released.)



Ohno wrote:
> Thanks for replying.
>
> I do know that IE8 can be hidden with from Windows updates, but for the
> folks computers that I used the tool on which simply puts the
> donotallowIE70
> or 80 reg key in place depending on which tool you used is a better
> choice,
> as sometimes I will have them go straight to the Windows update site and
> tell them to download all high priority updates and by using the tool they
> don't get the annoying you have hidden important updates notice because IE
> is not even being offered.
>
> As far as I can tell from blocking IE7 recently on a ton of machines at my
> job because our company website still has a few issues with IE7 not one of
> them has the key that included the value IE6UpdatesHidden. The only
> machines
> I actually find that key on are machines with IE7 installed. So it is just
> a
> guess for now until I install IE7 in another computer and check the
> registry
> first but I would say the IE7 install creates the key.
>
> Just in case my first message was mis understood. I have no issues at
> hand,
> I just wanted to let everyone know that it is a possibility that if they
> uninstall a newer version if IE to opt for an older one that they should
> check to see if they have the key in place so they don't miss any
> important
> updates.
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:uNjJ01C1JHA.5440@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Kinda hard to follow the narrative there and I really don't know if
>> installing IE7 creates that Value (or if uninstalling IE7 would delete it
>> or change its DWORD value), but a lot depends on the environment in which
>> IE7 was installed and uninstalled. Any real-time "systems protections"
>> running in the background when an IE upgrade is installed or uninstalled
>> can disallow changes the process would be making to the Registry.
>>
>> That being said, are you aware that you can "hide" the IE8 upgrade via
>> Windows Update? (I'm not sure a WinXP machine running IE6 would even be
>> offered IE7 now that IE8's been released.)
>>
>> PS: I do have IE7 installed here and I do have that key and Value with a
>> DWORD value of 1 (one) but I have no idea if installing IE7 (or SP3
>> afterwards) had anything to do with it, especially since I've "hidden"
>> IE8
>> on this machine.
>>
>> I also have this key...
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\7.0_Beta2
>>
>> ...and it has the IE6UpdatesHidden Value with a DWORD value of 0 (zero).
>> Mind you, every beta build of IE7 was installed on this machine,
>> including
>> IE7 Beta 3 and at least two Release Candidate builds so YMMV.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>>
>> Ohno wrote:
>>> I am not sure if this should be cross posted so others can read it or
>>> not
>>> but if so any MVP's feel free to do so.
>>>
>>> Anyway what I am writing about could be considered a Windows update
>>> issue
>>> or
>>> an Internet explorer issue.
>>>
>>> Here is the deal. For reasons not needed to expand on I was working on a
>>> computer that needed to be reverted to IE6 that had IE7 installed. I
>>> wanted
>>> to do this for the person before I installed XPSP3.
>>>
>>> After all was done I decided for this machine I was going to use the IE7
>>> blocking tool provided by Microsoft and the IE8 blocking tool provided
>>> by
>>> Microsoft.
>>>
>>> So as it went. The IE8 blocking tool had been installed several days
>>> earlier. I removed IE7 rebooted a few times for various reasons. Then I
>>> installed SP3 rebooted after which I used the IE7 blocking tool to add
>>> the
>>> proper reg key.
>>>
>>> Here is where this relates to Windows update.
>>> Normally when IE7 has been installed into a computer it places the
>>> following
>>> registry key in place:
>>>
>>> HKLM\\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\7.0 with a DWORD entry
>>> called IE6UpdatesHidden.
>>>
>>> After you remove IE7 from the computer you would think that the value of
>>> this key would be changed from (1) to (0) or the key would be removed.
>>>
>>> In this computer that did not happen. I choose do delete the key rather
>>> than
>>> just change the value.
>>>
>>> I just wanted everyone to know this happened because I after I deleted
>>> the
>>> key the IE6 Windows Updates were once again re-offered. Had I not
>>> checked
>>> this out the user would never have known they were not getting offered
>>> updates they needed.
>>>
>>> Granted I had a long day and did not actually check the value of the key
>>> before I deleted it as it was not necessary but it must have still been
>>> set
>>> to a value of (1) because had it been changed to (0) I would have been
>>> offered the updates before deleting the key.
>>>
>>> Just something to be aware of.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
removing update notice Jrz microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 01-19-2009 18:06
Issues after removing WSUS server Brad Baker microsoft.public.windowsupdate 0 12-29-2008 17:12
Removing an Update AGB microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 3 01-17-2008 01:33
Removing An Update AGB microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 1 01-12-2008 23:20
Issues with Desktop Wallpaper after removing MalwareAlarm Trojan Mark D. microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 09-04-2007 04:00




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:04.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120