WSUS network utilisation.

Broonie

WSUS network utilisation.
Is there any way to monitor network usage on a WSUS server. I am
suffering from big surges on the NIC of my WSUS server and I want to
know what is causing it. The server also hosts our Trend AV. I've
tried using NetMon 3.2 but it's more interested in the content of
individual packets. I want to see what applications on the server are
using the bandwidth and by how much.

I've tried setting BITS throttling through GPO but that doesn't seem
to stop the spikes. Does BITS throttling also effect the download of
updates by WSUS from the internet by the update services service? If
it doesn't then that may explain the surges.

I'm pretty sure the surges aren't from Trend as I disabled all the
Trend services and the spikes still appeared.
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: WSUS network utilisation.
Broonie wrote:

> Is there any way to monitor network usage on a WSUS server. I am
> suffering from big surges on the NIC of my WSUS server and I want to
> know what is causing it. The server also hosts our Trend AV. I've
> tried using NetMon 3.2 but it's more interested in the content of
> individual packets. I want to see what applications on the server are
> using the bandwidth and by how much.
>
> I've tried setting BITS throttling through GPO but that doesn't seem
> to stop the spikes. Does BITS throttling also effect the download of
> updates by WSUS from the internet by the update services service? If
> it doesn't then that may explain the surges.

Unless you have BITS set to foreground mode, the throttling does affect the
download of updates from Microsoft by the WSUS server.

What about the download of updates from the WSUS server by the clients? Did you
try setting BITS throttling on the clients?

Harry.

On May 14, 10:49*am, "Harry Johnston [MVP]" <ha...@scms.waikato.ac.nz>
wrote:
> Broonie wrote:
> > Is there any way to monitor network usage on a WSUS server. I am
> > suffering from big surges on the NIC of my WSUS server and I want to
> > know what is causing it. The server also hosts our Trend AV. I've
> > tried using NetMon 3.2 but it's more interested in the content of
> > individual packets. I want to see what applications on the server are
> > using the bandwidth and by how much.

> > I've tried setting BITS throttling through GPO but that doesn't seem
> > to stop the spikes. Does BITS throttling also effect the download of
> > updates by WSUS from the internet by the update services service? If
> > it doesn't then that may explain the surges.

> Unless you have BITS set to foreground mode, the throttling does affect the
> download of updates from Microsoft by the WSUS server.
>
> What about the download of updates from the WSUS server by the clients? *Did you
> try setting BITS throttling on the clients?
>
> * *Harry.
>

> > I'm pretty sure the surges aren't from Trend as I disabled all the
> > Trend services and the spikes still appeared.- Hide quoted text -

BITS on all the clients is set to 1 KB via GPO.

Is ther any way to determine if BITS is set to foreground mode or not.
I tried the WSUSdebugtool and WSUSutil but could find anything that
actually reported the current mode.

Cheers

Broonie wrote:

>>> I've tried setting BITS throttling through GPO but that doesn't seem
>>> to stop the spikes. Does BITS throttling also effect the download of
>>> updates by WSUS from the internet by the update services service? If
>>> it doesn't then that may explain the surges.

>> Unless you have BITS set to foreground mode, the throttling does affect the
>> download of updates from Microsoft by the WSUS server.
>>
>> What about the download of updates from the WSUS server by the clients? Did you
>> try setting BITS throttling on the clients?

> BITS on all the clients is set to 1 KB via GPO.

How many clients are there? What's the detection interval set to?

> Is ther any way to determine if BITS is set to foreground mode or not.
> I tried the WSUSdebugtool and WSUSutil but could find anything that
> actually reported the current mode.

Actually I don't know.

Does wsusdebugtool /tool:getconfiguration show this information?

In any case, you could use the /tool:resetforegrounddownload option and see if
the problem goes away.

Harry.
Broonie

Re: WSUS network utilisation.
On May 14, 11:50*am, "Harry Johnston [MVP]" <ha...@scms.waikato.ac.nz>
wrote:
> >> Unless you have BITS set to foreground mode, the throttling does affect the
> >> download of updates from Microsoft by the WSUS server.

> >> What about the download of updates from the WSUS server by the clients? *Did you
> >> try setting BITS throttling on the clients?

> > BITS on all the clients is set to 1 KB via GPO.

> How many clients are there? *What's the detection interval set to?
>
> > Is ther any way to determine if BITS is set to foreground mode or not.
> > I tried the WSUSdebugtool and WSUSutil but could find anything that
> > actually reported the current mode.

> Actually I don't know.
>
> Does wsusdebugtool /tool:getconfiguration show this information?
>
> In any case, you could use the /tool:resetforegrounddownload option and see if
> the problem goes away.
>
> * *Harry.

There are about 700 clients. Detection rate is set to default.

Actually on second look wsusdeugtool does give the foreground info and
it's set false, which is what I want because the BITS throttling in
GPO only effects background BITS downloads and uploads. Also I don't
want to set it to foreground if i can't set it back to background.

My main question was relating to a tool that could graphically depict
which apps/services on a server are using the bandwidth. Do you know
of anything?