Internet Explorer 8

Linda D

Internet Explorer 8
I have had nothing but problems with Internet explorer 8. I am running
windows XP 2003. I am running service pack 3. I installed explorer 8 and so
many of the sites I use I couldn't use any more I kept getting the message
that it encountered a problem and had to shut down. I went back to explorer 7
and no problems. Then explorer 8 became a critical update so I had to
download it again and the problems are the same. My computer is slow and that
constant message is becoming a real problem. Can I delete 8 and go back to 7
and if so how do I work around the critical updates issue.
--
Linda D
Shenan Stanley

Re: Internet Explorer 8
Linda D wrote:
> I have had nothing but problems with Internet explorer 8. I am running
> windows XP 2003. I am running service pack 3. I installed explorer 8 and
> so
> many of the sites I use I couldn't use any more I kept getting the message
> that it encountered a problem and had to shut down. I went back to
> explorer 7
> and no problems. Then explorer 8 became a critical update so I had to
> download it again and the problems are the same. My computer is slow and
> that
> constant message is becoming a real problem. Can I delete 8 and go back to
> 7
> and if so how do I work around the critical updates issue.

No matter what type of update ("High Priority", "Optional, Software",
"Optional, Hardware") - the choice whether or not to install can be yours
whether or not to install.

Internet Explorer - no matter your update settings - the choice is yours
whether or not to install. You could still run Internet Explorer 6 on
WIndows XP if you so desired and did not upgrade to Internet Explorer 7
before upgrading to Service Pack 3 for Windows XP or were willing to
uninstall enough to get back to it.

Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

In any case - maybe these links will help you:

How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 8

If you would like to attempt to work through your issues:

Some Web sites may not be displayed correctly or work correctly in Windows
Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956197/

How to reset Internet Explorer settings
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Get help with Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...x?&gprid=13418

You can also come back with the following information:

- Your current antivirus software
- any previous antivirus software you used

- Your exact Windows version
( Start button --> RUN --> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
give you the rest of the story. Post both in response to this message
verbatim. ;-) )

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

jcald

Re: Internet Explorer 8

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Linda D wrote:
> > I have had nothing but problems with Internet explorer 8. I am running
> > windows XP 2003. I am running service pack 3. I installed explorer 8 and
> > so
> > many of the sites I use I couldn't use any more I kept getting the message
> > that it encountered a problem and had to shut down. I went back to
> > explorer 7
> > and no problems. Then explorer 8 became a critical update so I had to
> > download it again and the problems are the same. My computer is slow and
> > that
> > constant message is becoming a real problem. Can I delete 8 and go back to
> > 7
> > and if so how do I work around the critical updates issue.

> No matter what type of update ("High Priority", "Optional, Software",
> "Optional, Hardware") - the choice whether or not to install can be yours
> whether or not to install.
>
> Internet Explorer - no matter your update settings - the choice is yours
> whether or not to install. You could still run Internet Explorer 6 on
> WIndows XP if you so desired and did not upgrade to Internet Explorer 7
> before upgrading to Service Pack 3 for Windows XP or were willing to
> uninstall enough to get back to it.
>
> Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
> information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:
>
> Search using Google!
> http://www.google.com/
> (How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )
>
> In any case - maybe these links will help you:
>
> How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>
> Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 8
>

> If you would like to attempt to work through your issues:
>
> Some Web sites may not be displayed correctly or work correctly in Windows
> Internet Explorer 8
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956197/
>
> How to reset Internet Explorer settings
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> Get help with Internet Explorer 8
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...x?&gprid=13418
>
> You can also come back with the following information:
>
> - Your current antivirus software
> - any previous antivirus software you used
>
> - Your exact Windows version
> ( Start button --> RUN --> type in:
> winver
> --> Click OK.
>
> The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
> (Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
> give you the rest of the story. Post both in response to this message
> verbatim. ;-) )
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

jcald

Re: Internet Explorer 8

"jcald" wrote: Not just XP, I have Vista 64 at home and it does the same
thing.

jcald wrote:

jcald wrote:
> Not just XP, I have Vista 64 at home and it does the same
> thing.

Yes - but it took you two responses to come up with that. *grin*

Doesn't matter if you have Windows Vista or Windows XP - pretty much
everything I said applies to you - with the exception of using Internet
Explorer 6 if you wanted to. However - you did Hijack someone elses
thread - so without more - I cannot say your problem is the same as theirs.

I know I have Windows Vista Ultimate w/SP1 x64 and IE8 and do not run in
compatibility mode and have experienced no major issues. I also have a
32-bit Windows Vista Ultimate machine with SP1 and IE8 - and it is running
just as well.

Might want to look through the links supplied - or provide your own
information in another post to have your problems examined.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Internet Explorer 8
Uninstall IE8...

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Now go to Windows Update website | select CUSTOM & scan | Uncheck then hide
IE8.

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

Those with IE7- and/or IE8-specific questions or comments can post to and
seek support in IE General newsgroup:

On the web:

In your newsreader:

Linda D wrote:
> I have had nothing but problems with Internet explorer 8. I am running
> windows XP 2003. I am running service pack 3. I installed explorer 8 and
> so
> many of the sites I use I couldn't use any more I kept getting the message
> that it encountered a problem and had to shut down. I went back to
> explorer
> 7 and no problems. Then explorer 8 became a critical update so I had to
> download it again and the problems are the same. My computer is slow and
> that constant message is becoming a real problem. Can I delete 8 and go
> back to 7 and if so how do I work around the critical updates issue.

Ottmar Freudenberger

Re: Internet Explorer 8
"Linda D" <LindaD@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> I have had nothing but problems with Internet explorer 8. I am running
> windows XP 2003. I am running service pack 3.

So I'm assuming you're on Windows XP SP3, true?
The "2003" is confusing here.

> I installed explorer 8 and so
> many of the sites I use I couldn't use any more I kept getting the message
> that it encountered a problem and had to shut down.

That's most likely caused by an incompatible Add-On or third party
extension you've installed. In case you're running into these kind
of problems, try starting IE8 without Add-Ons (by a right-click on
the IE symbol or by typing "iexplore -extoff" into "Run" in the
Start menu). If IE8 displays the site(s) fine afterwards and doesn't
crash any longer, you should/could identify the causing Add-On by
disabling each of the them step-by-step via the Add-On manager.
Once you've identified the Add-On, try to contact the vendor of the
Add-On to get a newer version of that one - or leave it disabled.

Bye,
Freudi
Michael T.

Re: Internet Explorer 8
"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

> Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 8
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/og6qxx

I stumbled across your post during a Google search.

I am eternally grateful, as I recently discovered Windows Update now lists
this as a critical update and I was having some difficulty disabling the
constant prompt-request.

Kudos.

I guess this Toolkit has been around since January, but somehow I missed it.

Michael

P.S.
I did install IE8. But in my haste, I allowed it to also update my Google
Toolbar to version 6. But the "Find Bar" was removed from this version. I
actually found it easier to uninstall IE8 that to locate the older version
of Google Toolbar.