Automatic Update Default Settings

Windows XP and Vista have a default setting to download and install setting
set at 3AM.

If your computer is never on at 3AM what happens?

Re: Automatic Update Default Settings
The updates will be automatically installed when you next start your
computer.

How to schedule automatic updates in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and
in Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327838

Should you wish to have more control over this, you can select the Download
but Notify or Notify Only setting. See...

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

PS: You /can/ change that time, you know?

r wrote:
> Windows XP and Vista have a default setting to download and install
> setting
> set at 3AM.
>
> If your computer is never on at 3AM what happens?

Re: Automatic Update Default Settings
First thank for your response.

I know you can change the time. And if you had asked me two days ago I
would have responded the same as you.

The problem is I have worked on three laptops lately and all were missing
security updates. One was four months old and had 10 downloaded updates
waiting for manual install. One was brand new that I had just three days
before installed all updates. When next I see it had one update nedding to
be downloaded. The last was an older XP machine that was missing 40 upgrades
.... none downloaded. All three machines had automatic updates running and
set at the 3AM default... and all three machines are seldom if ever on at
3AM.

I read your first link and it says in part: "Automatic Updates waits until
the scheduled day and time to install the updates." I have read another MS
Support document http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525 that says: "Click to
select the day and time for scheduled updates to download and install. You
can schedule Automatic Updates for any time of day. However, your computer
must be on at the scheduled time for updates to be installed. "

I had another person give me the same response as you with a caveat that
says you may have to manually install updates that require "acceptance of
terms" action by the user. He thinks all updates issued after an
"acceptance of terms" update will hang in the "waiting to install" until the
first is installed manually.

Lastly I cannot find an MS article that says updates from the Automatic
Update will:
1. Download updates on boot up or at regular intervals on its own (although
I suspect they do, at least in Vista), or

2. At boot up or shut down will install downloaded upgrades without any
manual action on the users part.

So I am a little confused and worried about machines of my family that I
know are never on at 3AM. Either Auto Updates does not work as we think (IE
Windows will download and install updates upon boot up and shut down despite
the time and day settings in Auto Update) or two laptops of friends have
another problem(s) that does not allow auto updates to work as we expect.

> The updates will be automatically installed when you next start your
> computer.
>
> How to schedule automatic updates in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP,
> and in Windows 2000:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327838
>
> Should you wish to have more control over this, you can select the
> Download but Notify or Notify Only setting. See...
>
> How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525
>
> PS: You /can/ change that time, you know?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> r wrote:
>> Windows XP and Vista have a default setting to download and install
>> setting
>> set at 3AM.
>>
>> If your computer is never on at 3AM what happens?

> The updates will be automatically installed when you next start your
> computer.
>
> How to schedule automatic updates in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP,
> and in Windows 2000:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327838
>
> Should you wish to have more control over this, you can select the
> Download but Notify or Notify Only setting. See...
>
> How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525
>
> PS: You /can/ change that time, you know?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> r wrote:
>> Windows XP and Vista have a default setting to download and install
>> setting
>> set at 3AM.
>>
>> If your computer is never on at 3AM what happens?

Re: Automatic Update Default Settings
> The problem is I have worked on three laptops lately and all were missing
> security updates.

Missing security updates is not that same as Automatic Updates not having
installed them yet. And the reason the updates are missing or AU hasn't
installed them yet will vary from machine to machine and Windows version to
Windows version.

That being said, you should be able to update any of the machines manually
via Windows Update website (WinXP) or via running Windows Update manually
(Vista). If you're unable to do so, we'd have to handle it on a per-machine
basis.

The #1 reason for updates not installing, AU not working, and being unable
to update manually is hijackware infections.

r wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> If your computer is never on at 3AM what happens?

>> The updates will be automatically installed when you next start your
>> computer.
>>
>> How to schedule automatic updates in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP,
>> and in Windows 2000:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327838
>>
>> Should you wish to have more control over this, you can select the
>> Download but Notify or Notify Only setting. See...
>>
>> How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525
>>
>> PS: You /can/ change that time, you know?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> r wrote:
>>> Windows XP and Vista have a default setting to download and install
>>> setting
>>> set at 3AM.
>>>
>>> If your computer is never on at 3AM what happens?

Again thank you so much for your time.

The problem I have is not that I don't know how to install updates. Instead
it is the people that come to me refuse to learn how to practice offense
when it comes to security updates. So I have relied on Automatic Updates to
do the job and for some reason it has either failed or lagged greatly. The
machines are not suffering from hijack viruses... I have checked. But 10
downloads sitting in the downloads waiting to be installed while the machine
has been booted and restarted once every day indicates to me that the
downloads are happening but auto update is not installing them
automatically.

I suppose I'm yelling into the wind here. My auto update on my machines work
as MS says they should. But then again the machines are on at 3 AM. I am
less convinced that the MS boot up auto download and install works very well
if the machines are off at the default time. Yes you can force the installs
but I can't seem to train the monkeys to do it. :-)

BTW I did change the time to more match when they use the laptops. But I
cannot find any MS article that states the download will "install"
"automatically" even if the machine is not on at the set time. IN fact both
your link and the one I showed say the exact opposite.

Oh well life goes on and I've been wrong before.

> [...]

>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327838
>>>
>>> Should you wish to have more control over this, you can select the
>>> Download but Notify or Notify Only setting. See...
>>>
>>> How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525
>>>
>>> PS: You /can/ change that time, you know?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

>>> The updates will be automatically installed when you next start your
>>> computer.
>>>
>>> How to schedule automatic updates in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP,
>>> and in Windows 2000:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327838
>>>
>>> Should you wish to have more control over this, you can select the
>>> Download but Notify or Notify Only setting. See...
>>>
>>> How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525
>>>
>>> PS: You /can/ change that time, you know?

Actually, the updates will download and if the machine's not running at the
assigned/selected time (3:00 AM never made any sense to me; then again, NAV
used to update only once a week...at 2 AM, Saturday), the user will
typically encounter an "Install updates and Turn Off" buttton (instead of
the expected "Turn Off" button) when he next goes to Shutdown.

A computer can be free of all hijackware, etc., yet Automatic
Updates/Windows Update still won't work because there's more to do than just
removing the Bad Guys.

Again, we can assist you on a one-computer-at-a-time basis here or in other
newsgroups and Windows forums.

r wrote:
> [...]

>>> the
>>> first is installed manually.
>>>
>>> Lastly I cannot find an MS article that says updates from the Automatic
>>> Update will:
>>> 1. Download updates on boot up or at regular intervals on its own
>>> (although
>>> I suspect they do, at least in Vista), or
>>>
>>> 2. At boot up or shut down will install downloaded upgrades without any
>>> manual action on the users part.
>>>
>>> So I am a little confused and worried about machines of my family that I
>>> know are never on at 3AM. Either Auto Updates does not work as we think
>>> (IE
>>> Windows will download and install updates upon boot up and shut down
>>> despite
>>> the time and day settings in Auto Update) or two laptops of friends have
>>> another problem(s) that does not allow auto updates to work as we

I am ready to drink the kool aid :-) Well almost LOL

I am absorbing your information and I do appreciate your patientce with me.
I have one last concern if you don't mind?

When you say: "the user will
typically encounter an "Install updates and Turn Off" buttton (instead of
the expected "Turn Off" button) when he next goes to Shutdown" it makes me
wonder if we are talking about the same thing when we say the computer is
"turned off" during the 3AM dowload time.

I mean the compuer is completely off in the old fashion Windows XP meaning.
Instead of selecting the Vista Power button (sleep) they select the "Lock"
"Shut Down" option. Or assume they are running Windows XP and shut off the
computer after use. Will Windows (Vista or Win XP) then down load updates at
boot and clearly offer to install at shut down automatically even if the
computer is "completely off" at the 3AM download time?

BTW I cannot at this time talk about one specific computer as I don't have
them in my possesion. I just get the joy of seeing them when in a state of
general disrepair.

"
> [...]
>> your link and the one I showed say the exact opposite.
>>
>> Oh well life goes on and I've been wrong before.

>>> Missing security updates is not that same as Automatic Updates not
>>> having
>>> installed them yet. And the reason the updates are missing or AU hasn't
>>> installed them yet will vary from machine to machine and Windows version
>>> to Windows version.
>>>
>>> That being said, you should be able to update any of the machines
>>> manually
>>> via Windows Update website (WinXP) or via running Windows Update
>>> manually
>>> (Vista). If you're unable to do so, we'd have to handle it on a
>>> per-machine basis.
>>>
>>> The #1 reason for updates not installing, AU not working, and being
>>> unable
>>> to update manually is hijackware infections.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Automatic Update Default Settings
r,

Let me correct one misapprehension to start with - the 3am is the *installation*
time, not the *download* time. With the default settings, updates start
downloading as soon as they are detected as needed, although they do so slowly.
Very slowly, if the servers are heavily loaded.

When you go to shut down Windows XP, you are normally presented with either a
drop-down menu or a set of buttons, one of which says "Shut Down". If the
updates are downloaded (and provided at least one of them doesn't require user
interaction to install) this will change to "Install Updates and Shut Down".

Harry.

r wrote:

> [...]
>>> automatically.
>>>
>>> I suppose I'm yelling into the wind here. My auto update on my machines
>>> work
>>> as MS says they should. But then again the machines are on at 3 AM. I am
>>> less convinced that the MS boot up auto download and install works very
>>> well
>>> if the machines are off at the default time. Yes you can force the
>>> installs
>>> but I can't seem to train the monkeys to do it. :-)
>>>
>>> BTW I did change the time to more match when they use the laptops. But I
>>> cannot find any MS article that states the download will "install"
>>> "automatically" even if the machine is not on at the set time. IN fact
>>> both
>>> your link and the one I showed say the exact opposite.
>>>
>>> Oh well life goes on and I've been wrong before.

Thanks Harry... I believe that you are correct. Despite what the words say
on the Automatic Download set up page you are really only setting install
times. Checking for downloads happen through out the day and at turn on.

You are the second person to suggest to me that if a download requires a
user acceptance action of some kind then that may knock the wheels off the
automatic install when turning the computer off. That happens to coincide
with what happened on the 4 month old laptop. Ten updates were waiting to be
installed despite that fact the machine had been turned on and off several
times (and had gone through a couple of 3 AM's while in sleep mode). I
forced the installs of the 10 updates and two of those required user
acceptance of terms. We will see if the auto install returns to normal for
her now.... at least for awhile.

Gulp Gulp... the kool aid is down. :-)