windows keeps asking me to install an update i already installed

sara

windows keeps asking me to install an update i already installed
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)
keeps popping up after installing it, its installed over 5 times now and
windows (vista) is still asking me to install it again and when i checked my
updates, i found duplicated updates. I dont know what am i supposed to do and
i need help with that, thanks.
TaurArian

Re: windows keeps asking me to install an update i already installed
sara wrote:
:: Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
:: (KB954430) keeps popping up after installing it, its installed over
:: 5 times now and windows (vista) is still asking me to install it
:: again and when i checked my updates, i found duplicated updates. I
:: dont know what am i supposed to do and i need help with that, thanks.

Please read the known issues part of this kb article: -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430

If that doesn't help, then read the "How to obtain help and support for this
security update" section.
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

keaau_rider

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Please read the known issues part of this kb article: -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430
>
> If that doesn't help, then read the "How to obtain help and support for this
> security update" section.
> --

I read it. The article cited above is not specific enough to solve this
problem. I manually downloaded the update, and applied it to no avail. My
OS is Windows XP Pro. So, I submitted feedback lto Microsoft letting them
know it doesn't work. What's more, hiding the useless update, still Windows
Update nags about it on every visit. But does Microsoft care? I think not.
This nuisance has been ongoing for months.
keaau_rider

RE: windows keeps asking me to install an update i already installed

Hi Sara,
I heard that we need to have SP2 basic installed first, then install SP2
updates in order, then manually download and install this core update last
using the "Add Remove Programs" in the control panel. What a pain. So, I
did that. It's in my Windows XP Pro system alright, but Windows Update Home
doesn't seem to see, even though it logs it as successfully installed,
multiple times I might add. What gives? So, I quit worrying about it and
hid the critical update. I ignore Windows Update Home nagging me about it
being hidden. I've reported the bug to Microsoft. Good luck in your
endeavor!

keaau_rider wrote:
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
>> Please read the known issues part of this kb article: -
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430
>>
>> If that doesn't help, then read the "How to obtain help and support for
>> this security update" section.
>> --

> I read it. The article cited above is not specific enough to solve this
> problem. I manually downloaded the update, and applied it to no avail.
> My
> OS is Windows XP Pro. So, I submitted feedback lto Microsoft letting them
> know it doesn't work. What's more, hiding the useless update, still
> Windows
> Update nags about it on every visit. But does Microsoft care? I think
> not. This nuisance has been ongoing for months.

Read it some more:

<QP>
This security update may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft
Update or on Windows Update if one of the system files is corrupted or if it
has not been updated correctly. For more information about this issue, click
the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:

941729 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729/ ) Security updates for
Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 may repeatedly appear in the
update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows Update
</QP>

keaau_rider

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> "Read it some more ...."

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

"Nice", Dyer.

The "solution", was a bust. It was to simply rename msxml4.dll in
\WINDOWS\System 32 to msml4.old, then go grab the core update from Windows
Update Home, download and install it. Again. Did so exactly. Rebooted.
Revisted Windows Update Home. But, there was the update, again, nagging to
be installed.

Sonya Finkey, tech support alohagoodies.com (keaau_rider)

keaau_rider

Re: windows keeps asking me to install an update i already install

Content Correction:
It was to simply rename msxml4.dll in
\WINDOWS\System 32 to msxml4.old
keaau_rider

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> "Read it some more:"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

What arrogance. The solution cited above did not work, to rename msxml4.dll
to msxml4.old in the \WINDOWS\System32\ directory and try the download again.
On reboot and revisiting Windows Update Home, there was no change.

--Sonya L. Finkey (keaau_rider)
tech support, alohagoodies.com, country-cabins.com

Re: windows keeps asking me to install an update i already install
Now see the "How to obtain help..." section of

keaau_rider wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> "Read it some more ...."

>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

> "Nice", Dyer.
>
> The "solution", was a bust. It was to simply rename msxml4.dll in
> \WINDOWS\System 32 to msml4.old, then go grab the core update from Windows
> Update Home, download and install it. Again. Did so exactly. Rebooted.
> Revisted Windows Update Home. But, there was the update, again, nagging
> be installed.
>
> Sonya Finkey, tech support alohagoodies.com (keaau_rider)

Harry Johnston [MVP]

keaau_rider wrote:

> The "solution", was a bust. It was to simply rename msxml4.dll in
> \WINDOWS\System 32 to msml4.old, then go grab the core update from Windows
> Update Home, download and install it. Again. Did so exactly. Rebooted.
> Revisted Windows Update Home. But, there was the update, again, nagging to
> be installed.

Odd. Did the rename operation succeed? What is the version number of
msxml4.dll at present?

Have you tried installing the update in Safe Mode?

Harry.