IE8 Setup Experience, just the facts (and the screenshots) - FYI

IE8 Setup Experience, just the facts (and the screenshots) - FYI
<QP>
This post walks through the IE setup experience and the choices it offers
users. There have been a bunch of web postings recently that have described
aspects of IE setup and first run, not entirely accurately. We hope this
information clarifies some of your questions about upgrading to IE8 on
Windows Vista or Windows XP machines. (While the scenario where IE8 gets
installed as part of Windows 7 is essentially the same, this post is focused
on the upgrade scenarios that most users will encounter today.)

In case you missed it Jane, Eric and the Microsoft Update team have provided
some great blog posts about how IE8 is offered to users via Automatic
Updates and Windows Updates. I’m not going into more details about the
installation process in this post but I do want to emphasize that IE8 is not
installed unless the user chooses to do so.

After the user chooses to install IE8 on XP or Vista, the first time the
user runs IE8, they are presented with a settings wizard which contains
options for customizing their browsing experience. The goal of the IE setup
experience is to put IE users in control of their settings and respect
existing defaults.

Though the setup wizard, users can customize the following options:

• Default browser (Note that the user is only asked about this if IE is
not already the default provider. If IE7 was the default browser, this
question is not asked.)
• Default search provider
• Default Accelerators
• SmartScreen Filter
• Compatibility View updates
• Suggested Sites
• Search Provider Updates

IE shows the setup wizard the first time IE8 is launched after it is
installed. This first-run experience is consistent, regardless how the user
received IE8 (manual download, or AU/WU). In the event that the user
chooses not to make their selections when the wizard is presented (for
example by closing the wizard or hitting the “Ask me Later” option) the
wizard will return 24 hours later and ask again. The user can continue
deferring their selections. The wizard will continue to return until the
user clicks the "next" button. (If the user never launches IE8, they will
never be presented with the first-run wizard, and their existing defaults
and settings would remain unchanged.)

Until the user has made their selections, existing settings are respected;
any defaults which were migrated remain as the default and features which
the user has not yet enabled remain disabled. Your Search and Accelerator
default providers remain available to you; however, SmartScreen, Suggested
Sites and Compatibility View updates remain off until you choose your
settings.

IE will never become the default browser without your explicit consent. If
setup detects another browser is the default, that browser remains the
default. If you close the settings wizard without choosing your settings,
your existing default browser will remain the default. Consistent with
industry practices for installing a new browser, both the Express and Custom
options offer the user the ability to change the default browser if it’s not
IE. The user must make an explicit choice here; neither option is
pre-selected for the user.

</QP>
Source & more:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...reenshots.aspx