XP3 kills my wireless

BoB

XP3 kills my wireless
I installed XP3 and lost my wireless connection.
I could not get my wireless working again, so I uninstalled XP3.
My wireless worked again when I rebooted.

Must I choose between XP3 or a working wireless connection?

I checked out MS for updates needed and there is about 100 required.

I use Firefox and Agent so do not use IE or Outlook Express.
An internet connection is more important to me than the security
aspect.

If I install the 100 or so updates, will I again lose my wireless
connecton?

TIA,

BoB

Shenan Stanley

Re: XP3 kills my wireless
BoB wrote:
> I installed XP3 and lost my wireless connection.
> I could not get my wireless working again, so I uninstalled XP3.
> My wireless worked again when I rebooted.
>
> Must I choose between XP3 or a working wireless connection?
>
> I checked out MS for updates needed and there is about 100 required.
>
> I use Firefox and Agent so do not use IE or Outlook Express.
> An internet connection is more important to me than the security
> aspect.
>
> If I install the 100 or so updates, will I again lose my wireless
> connecton?

Have you updated the wireless card's hardware device drivers from the
manufacturer's web page to the latest version? Sounds like that could be
your problem.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: XP3 kills my wireless
[Note to self: AGENT]

> I checked out MS for updates needed and there is about 100 required.

Are you currently running WinXP SP2 and haven't updated in years? Have you
recently had occasion to reinstall Windows? If so, why and how did you do
it?

The above notwithstanding...

Device Manager and Network Connections may be blank after you install
Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791

Device Manager may not show any devices and Network Connections may not show
any network connections after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953979

A Windows XP SP3-based computer loses wireless connectivity when it resumes
from standby or from hibernation, or you receive an error message when you
try to put the computer in standby or in hibernation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951447

Windows XP SP3-based client computers cannot access the network when some
DHCP information is unavailable
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953761

The free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 has
been extended (but certainly not indefinitely) beyond the original 14 April
2009 cut-off date. Open your browser to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
~~

BoB wrote:
> I installed XP3 and lost my wireless connection.
> I could not get my wireless working again, so I uninstalled XP3.
> My wireless worked again when I rebooted.
>
> Must I choose between XP3 or a working wireless connection?
>
> I checked out MS for updates needed and there is about 100 required.
>
> I use Firefox and Agent so do not use IE or Outlook Express.
> An internet connection is more important to me than the security
> aspect.
>
> If I install the 100 or so updates, will I again lose my wireless
> connecton?

Goshute

Re: XP3 kills my wireless

Windows MCE, Dell XPS m140, ZoneAlarm free, Avast free, SuperAntispyware
free, Malwarebytes and Spybot updated and run three days ago. I have all
updates through a couple days ago, verified by Secunia online scan.
Windows update installed something today, May 10, 2009. The update
doesn't show on Control Panel | Add/Remove |Change/Remove | Show Updates
checked (makes it hard to roll back). KB 923561 is the last update
showing, installed 4/16. My wireless connection is also dead, no
connections are listed.

Tried to reset and restart it through the Wireless Zero Config
(%systemroot%\system32\services msc /s), and tried KB 953791 without
success. Wireless Connection Repair doesn't work - it gets to the
"Connecting to wireless network" dialog, sticks there a while, then
reports "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the
following action could not be completed: Connecting to the wireless
network. For assistance contact the person who manages your network."

This is a home DSL wireless network. Shut down and restarted the DSL,
it doesn't work. The machine I'm sending this on is wirelessly connected
to the same network.

Any more ideas?

--
Goshute
Goshute's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/97615.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Re: XP3 kills my wireless
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems
(instead of hijacking someone else's thread). State your IE version and
full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first post.

Goshute wrote:
> Windows MCE, Dell XPS m140, ZoneAlarm free, Avast free, SuperAntispyware
> free, Malwarebytes and Spybot updated and run three days ago. I have all
> updates through a couple days ago, verified by Secunia online scan.
> Windows update installed something today, May 10, 2009. The update
> doesn't show on Control Panel | Add/Remove |Change/Remove | Show Updates
> checked (makes it hard to roll back). KB 923561 is the last update
> showing, installed 4/16. My wireless connection is also dead, no
> connections are listed.
>
> Tried to reset and restart it through the Wireless Zero Config
> (%systemroot%\system32\services msc /s), and tried KB 953791 without
> success. Wireless Connection Repair doesn't work - it gets to the
> "Connecting to wireless network" dialog, sticks there a while, then
> reports "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the
> following action could not be completed: Connecting to the wireless
> network. For assistance contact the person who manages your network."
>
> This is a home DSL wireless network. Shut down and restarted the DSL,
> it doesn't work. The machine I'm sending this on is wirelessly connected
> to the same network.
>
> Any more ideas?

Goshute

Re: XP3 kills my wireless

I have solved the problem by going into the Intel Proset Wireless
Connection Utility. It appears that I have lost all my WiFi network
history and WEP passkeys.

Goshute wrote:
> I have solved the problem by going into the Intel Proset Wireless
> Connection Utility. It appears that I have lost all my WiFi network
> history and WEP passkeys.

And did you download and install the latest version of said driver and
utility from Intel yet?
Something like 12.4...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: XP3 kills my wireless
[Goshute is not the OP here]

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Goshute wrote:
>> I have solved the problem by going into the Intel Proset Wireless
>> Connection Utility. It appears that I have lost all my WiFi network
>> history and WEP passkeys.

> And did you download and install the latest version of said driver and
> utility from Intel yet?
> Something like 12.4...
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

BoB

Re: XP3 kills my wireless
On Sun, 10 May 2009 09:30:24 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
<newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

>BoB wrote:
>> I installed XP3 and lost my wireless connection.
>> I could not get my wireless working again, so I uninstalled XP3.
>> My wireless worked again when I rebooted.
>>
>> Must I choose between XP3 or a working wireless connection?
>>
>> I checked out MS for updates needed and there is about 100 required.
>>
>> I use Firefox and Agent so do not use IE or Outlook Express.
>> An internet connection is more important to me than the security
>> aspect.
>>
>> If I install the 100 or so updates, will I again lose my wireless
>> connecton?

>Have you updated the wireless card's hardware device drivers from the
>manufacturer's web page to the latest version? Sounds like that could be
>your problem.
>
>--
>Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

The Netgear site indicates dozens of versions including mine.
I DL'd an applicable zip file but haven't the guts to do
anything with it.

Two decades as a windows user, but haven't learned much as
I never re-installed windows before. The best price I got was
$180 to perform a windows re-install, half the price of the computer
so I did it myself. I have XP2 working but can't get it updated any
further without losing my internet connecton, which is unacceptable.

At 72, I've decided to let well enough alone as I've been unable
to locate anyone locally who knows WindowsXP, Cox, Dell and Netgear.
I need someone knowledgable on all aspects to ever improve this
situation.

Thanks for your time.

BoB

BoB

Re: XP3 kills my wireless
On Sun, 10 May 2009 12:28:18 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>[Note to self: AGENT]
>
>> I checked out MS for updates needed and there is about 100 required.

>Are you currently running WinXP SP2 and haven't updated in years? Have you
>recently had occasion to reinstall Windows? If so, why and how did you do
>it?

Running 2 WinxP's. The hardwired one is SP3. The wireless connected
one is SP2.

I paid $80 for a shop to analyze the wireless connected computer and
they said Windows is buggered and must be reloaded. Their price was
$180 to reload windows.

I re-installed windows myself, first time in 20 years, and it is now
OK and running SP2. Adding SP3 however kills my wireless connection
and have found no one locally with the combined knowledge of windows.
Netgear wireless etc.

I looked at the hotfixes etc listed below but don't want to risk
trying them.

Secunia says I need 93 KBs to get updated. I fear one of
those might kill my wireless just like SP3 did. If I knew which KB
to NOT download I might try it.

Since I'm 72, I'm going to let well enough alone.

Thanks for your information and time.

BoB