XP will not restart after update

Zane

XP will not restart after update
Hi Guys & Girls

My other laptop has just done an auto update (not sure what it was), but now
it won't restart. The XP logo with the blue animated bar comes up, sits there
for a bit then it restarts.
It then keeps doing an never starts.
Has any one got any ideas how I can get it to restart with out losing any
data on the drive. Its important that I don't lose the data.
Thanks
Zane
Shenan Stanley

Re: XP will not restart after update
Zane wrote:
> My other laptop has just done an auto update (not sure what it
> was), but now it won't restart. The XP logo with the blue animated
> bar comes up, sits there for a bit then it restarts.
> It then keeps doing an never starts.
> Has any one got any ideas how I can get it to restart with out
> losing any data on the drive. Its important that I don't lose the
> data.

Given your last sentence - I assume you have a backup regime in place?

Tried safe mode?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

zane

Re: XP will not restart after update
I tried safe mode, last know conig that worked, and it still won't start?

Thanks for the reply,
Zane

zane wrote:
> I tried safe mode, last know conig that worked, and it still won't
> start?

What about the backup regime?

Instead of "Last Known Good" or "Safe Mode", do you get a bluescreen with an
error you can post here if you choose "disable automatic restart on system
failure" from the same menu?

Worst case - a BartPE or UBCD4WIN can get to your data (if you have a backup
regime - less data should be needed to be gotten off the machine itself -
making it easier.)

You might need to do an "SFC /scannow" or even a repair installation.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

zane

Re: XP will not restart after update
HI again,

I've just done "disable automatic restart on system failure" and it starts
up but stops at a blue screen, it then says the following:

STOP: c0000221{Bad Image Checksum}
The image oleaut32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not
match the computed checksum.

Any Ideas?

zane wrote:
> I've just done "disable automatic restart on system failure" and it
> starts up but stops at a blue screen, it then says the following:
>
> STOP: c0000221{Bad Image Checksum}
> The image oleaut32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum
> does not match the computed checksum.
>
> Any Ideas?

http://www.echarcha.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27572

The SFC /SCANNOW and/or a repair installation with a Windows XP w/SP3
installation CD would also fix this and any other issues that may have
formed around it.

You will also want to scan your computer for infestation/infections when you
get it back up and check your hard disk drive with the hard disk drive
manufacturer's diagnostics after running an extra backup for your important
data. Malwarebytes is a fine product to check for malware for free and
eliminate it.

By the way - you still have not answered the query about the backup
regime...

Is that because you do not have one and yet you can now understand why one
of the biggest pushes by those who support computers is to get people to
make backups? ;-) You would not be the first (nor the last) to come to
this realization 30 seconds too late. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

zane

Re: XP will not restart after update
Hi Shenan,
I don't have a back up regime in place as the machine is only used for 1
program and nothing else(Cricket Scoring Software).
With regards to your post, you mention "You might need to do an "SFC
/scannow" or even a repair". What does this mean and how can I do a repair
instalation?

Thanks
Zane
G. R. Woodring

Date: 5/10/2009 7:10 AM, Author: zane Wrote:
> Hi Shenan,
> I don't have a back up regime in place as the machine is only used for 1
> program and nothing else(Cricket Scoring Software).
> With regards to your post, you mention "You might need to do an "SFC
> /scannow" or even a repair". What does this mean and how can I do a repair
> instalation?
>
> Thanks
> Zane

Last year I tried the beta version of SP3 and encountered a problem which seems
to be the same as you are encountering. To be fair to Microsoft, I think it was
caused by a conflict with AVG Free anti-virus.

The only option that worked was to do "Repair existing installation" from the
original WinXP CD. Read the prompts closely as doing a "New install" will wipe
out the current registry and everything will likely be lost. Most programs will
still work, although some may mis-behave or not start. You _will_ need to
re-upgrade all updates that have been offered since your original CD was produced.

I suggest you order the update CD from Microsoft. You can then safely run the
update with anti-virus disabled (or even temporarily un-installed).

The experience inspired a more robust backup regime than I had been using. I
now routinely image the drive to a separate hard disk with DriveImage XML in
addition to normal document backups.

--
G. R. Woodring

Re: XP will not restart after update
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the

What Shane said (all of it).

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB999999).

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net