cant install any new software or get to the microsoft update site.

griffos

cant install any new software or get to the microsoft update site.
when I try to go to the update site it sends me to a google page. I tried to
upgrade IE to IE8 and it wont let me.
I am using XP Media centre edition with service pack 3.
griffos

RE: cant install any new software or get to the microsoft update site.

"griffos" wrote:

> when I try to go to the update site it sends me to a google page. I tried to
> upgrade IE to IE8 and it wont let me.
> I am using XP Media centre edition with service pack 3.

It has also stopped my anti virus from updating
Shenan Stanley

griffos wrote:
> when I try to go to the update site it sends me to a google page.
> I tried to upgrade IE to IE8 and it wont let me.
> I am using XP Media centre edition with service pack 3.

Check your DNS settings - of course you'll need to know the proper ones -
although if you are connected to high-speed Internet of any type/have a NAT
router - you are likely using DHCP and the DNS settings should be set to
obtain from your DHCP server.

Check your HOSTS file - could be you are being redirected by an entry in
that file.
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#Editor

Otherwise...

- Get specific with the Windows version...

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
give you the rest of the story. Post both in response to this message
verbatim. ;-)

- Run a couple of antispyware scans
Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately)
with the following two applications (freeware versions are the ones
to use for this):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

After performing a full scan with one and then the other and
removing whatever they both find completely, you may
uninstall these products,if you wish.

- Disk Cleanup

How to use Disk Cleanup
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

- CHKDSK

How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

- Defragment

How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

- Cleanup/update the update system

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one and anything having to do with
"Office Live". I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

** If it seemed to have failed, do this: **

Check the staus of these two services:
- Automatic Updates
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. In the list of
services, find those two, right click on them one at a time and choose
properties. In the Startup type list, what is each of them set to?

Report that here.

Then:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

PLEASE - come back - let everyone know what worked and what didn't. Your
question is archived indefintely - so if it helped, say so - then others who
search for their answer might benefit from your issue in the future (or even
you might need it again.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: cant install any new software or get to the microsoft update site.
You are seeing the effects of a hijackware infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

griffos wrote:
> when I try to go to the update site it sends me to a google page. I tried
> to upgrade IE to IE8 and it wont let me.
> I am using XP Media centre edition with service pack 3.

Ramon Algarin

Can't do windows update
Hi I'm Ramon Algarin:

I have eMachine T5010 with Windows XP service pack 2 and when I try to go to
windows update site it sends me to a google page. I can surf in internet but
can't do the update. I need some help, please...
Shenan Stanley

Re: Can't do windows update

Ramon Algarin wrote:
> I have eMachine T5010 with Windows XP service pack 2 and when I try
> to go to windows update site it sends me to a google page. I can
> surf in internet but can't do the update. I need some help,
> please...

You replied to a response to a post asking for help with a list of things to
try...
(And changed the subject line...)

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...8fafb533eddb9d

Did you do any of those things?