IE8 installs on XP but does not work.

EtherStreams

IE8 installs on XP but does not work.
I installed IE8 on my XP service pack 3 system. Everything installed ok,
however, as soon as I click on the IE icon (new or old icon), nothing
happens. I tried 2 clean installs from the Microsoft update site, both times,
same problem. I'm running Norton 360 V2.0 (everything up to date, add-on pack
not yet installed). Assisstance would be appriciated. Much thanks.

Re: IE8 installs on XP but does not work.
X-post to IEGeneral newsgroup

Did you (a) disable Norton AntiVirus, the Norton firewall & any/all Norton
Add-ons and then (b) enable the Windows Firewall (c) prior to installing
and/or uninstalling IE8?

Is your N360 subscription still current? Are you aware that only N360 v3.x
is IE8-compatible?

HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!!

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8.

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
install it.
--
IE-specific newsgroup:

EtherStreams wrote:
> I installed IE8 on my XP service pack 3 system. Everything installed ok,
> however, as soon as I click on the IE icon (new or old icon), nothing
> happens. I tried 2 clean installs from the Microsoft update site, both
> times, same problem. I'm running Norton 360 V2.0 (everything up to date,
> add-on pack not yet installed). Assisstance would be appriciated. Much
> thanks.

Ǝиçεl

RE: IE8 installs on XP but does not work.
Those with IE7- and/or IE8-specific questions or comments
can post to and seek support in IE General newsgroup:

On the web:
<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer. general>

In your newsreader:

"EtherStreams" wrote:

> I installed IE8 on my XP service pack 3 system. Everything installed ok,
> however, as soon as I click on the IE icon (new or old icon), nothing
> happens. I tried 2 clean installs from the Microsoft update site, both times,
> same problem. I'm running Norton 360 V2.0 (everything up to date, add-on pack
> not yet installed). Assisstance would be appriciated. Much thanks.

EtherStreams

Re: IE8 installs on XP but does not work.
WOW!! IE8 does not support Norton 360V2.0. I'm screwed. Why would Microsoft
create an IE that was not compatable with a firewall? I must say that, I
expirience so many "Errors" and "Crashes" with IE7, that I was really looking
forward to the possibility of an IE that worked. Do you know if Microsoft
will address this, or will they be leaving us to fend for ourselves?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> X-post to IEGeneral newsgroup
>
> Did you (a) disable Norton AntiVirus, the Norton firewall & any/all Norton
> Add-ons and then (b) enable the Windows Firewall (c) prior to installing
> and/or uninstalling IE8?
>
> Is your N360 subscription still current? Are you aware that only N360 v3.x
> is IE8-compatible?
>
> HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain
> environment.
> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> => Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>
> My personal recommendations include:
>
> => Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!!
>
> => Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
> and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.
>
> => Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
> installing or uninstalling IE8.
>
> => I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
> anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
> before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
> third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
> Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
>
> => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8.
>
> => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.
>
> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
> application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
> third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
> install it.
> --
> IE-specific newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> EtherStreams wrote:
> > I installed IE8 on my XP service pack 3 system. Everything installed ok,
> > however, as soon as I click on the IE icon (new or old icon), nothing
> > happens. I tried 2 clean installs from the Microsoft update site, both
> > times, same problem. I'm running Norton 360 V2.0 (everything up to date,
> > add-on pack not yet installed). Assisstance would be appriciated. Much
> > thanks.

Shenan Stanley

Re: IE8 installs on XP but does not work.
<snipped>

EtherStreams wrote:
> WOW!! IE8 does not support Norton 360V2.0. I'm screwed. Why would
> Microsoft create an IE that was not compatable with a firewall? I
> must say that, I expirience so many "Errors" and "Crashes" with
> IE7, that I was really looking forward to the possibility of an IE
> that worked. Do you know if Microsoft will address this, or will
> they be leaving us to fend for ourselves?

Sorry you have had trouble with IE7 (I have had none for quite some time) -
but it's not that Internet Explorer 8 does not support Norton 360 v2.x -
it's that Norton 360 v2.x is out-dated and does not recognize Internet
Explorer 8.

http://community.norton.com/norton/b...ssage.id=10503
http://community.norton.com/norton/b...hread.id=10309
http://community.norton.com/norton/b...hread.id=10282

The last one of those has this post in the thread...

03-20-2009 05:40 PM:
"We're still examining Internet Explorer 8 and any compatibility issues
between it and Norton 360, but we plan to support Internet Explorer 8 soon.
We will post an update here shortly with new information on this subject. If
you have Norton 360 installed, I would recommend that you update to the
latest version (Norton 360 v3 Standard or Norton 360 v3 Premier). Thanks!

Tony Weiss
Norton Forums Administrator
Symantec Corporation"

Essentially - the product you are using is, as you already know, old and
needs to be updated to the latest version for complete functionality.

What type of errors and crashes are you getting with IE7? Are all your
other plugins up to date? What antimalweare applications have you recently
scanned your computer with - if any? I suggest trying the freeware
MalwareBytes and the freeware SuperAntiSpyware for a single scan and
cleanup - just to see what, if anything - they find and eliminate for you.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: IE8 installs on XP but does not work.
It's up to Symantec to offer applications which are compatible with Windows
(and IE) versions, not the other way around. Contact Symantec Support: N360
v3.x is a free upgrade (assuming your N360 v2.x subscription is current).

Or start here:
http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoff...t.jsp?site=nuc

NB: Instead of upgrading, I'd recommend (1) uninstalling N360 v2.x, (2)
running the Norton Removal Tool*, and then (3) doing a clean install of N360
3.x.

PS: I agree with my colleague Shenan: Upgrading (e.g., from IE7 to IE8) in
hopes of fixing an existing problem is seldom a wise thing to do (and you
should have included that info in your first post).

===========
* See
~PA Bear

EtherStreams wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
>> application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and
>> your
>> third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you
>> decide
>> install it.
>> --
>> IE-specific newsgroup:
>>
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> EtherStreams wrote:
>>> I installed IE8 on my XP service pack 3 system. Everything installed ok,
>>> however, as soon as I click on the IE icon (new or old icon), nothing
>>> happens. I tried 2 clean installs from the Microsoft update site, both
>>> times, same problem. I'm running Norton 360 V2.0 (everything up to date,
>>> add-on pack not yet installed). Assisstance would be appriciated. Much

EtherStreams

Re: IE8 installs on XP but does not work.
Thanks guys for all the info. I'll watch out for it. BTW, I meant no offense
with my previous statement. I just thought that seeing IE8 was newer, I was
thinking the creators would have kept older firewalls in mind. But your point
of view that it is 360 that does not recongnize it, is a good point of view.
As for my IE7 being buggy, I did not figure it was relevant. I'm running a
pretty sweet computer and just figured it had bugs (figured from an update).
Once again, I meant no offense.