Auto update turned off, cannot update

lrngsys

Auto update turned off, cannot update
Even with protective software I believe I picked up a trojan. Can not turn
on auto update and can not update online. Getting
c:\windows\system32\xiijgpq.dll not found an after following the manual turn
it on procedure andgot Error 1058 The service can not be started either
because the servic is disabled or because it has no enable devices associated
with it.

Re: Auto update turned off, cannot update
You are indeed seeing the effects of a hijackware infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

lrngsys wrote:
> Even with protective software I believe I picked up a trojan. Can not
> turn
> on auto update and can not update online. Getting
> c:\windows\system32\xiijgpq.dll not found an after following the manual
> turn it on procedure andgot Error 1058 The service can not be started
> either
> because the servic is disabled or because it has no enable devices
> associated with it.

Ǝиçεl

RE: Auto update turned off, cannot update
The symptoms you describe indicate that a malware known as
Vundo\Virtumonde is resident. Using Internet Explºrer, have the system
scanned here: <http://onecare.live.com/site/en-au/center/howsafe.htm>

Several posters in this newsgroup have reported that the malware was
successfully removed using the above scanner.

Others have used SUPERAntiSpyware and/or Malwarebytes Antimalware to remove
the malware

There is a free version (on demand scanning only)
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>

Also free, Malwarebytes Antimalware <http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>

Also I would suggest running a HijackThis to to ensure that Vundo did not
bring along any uninvited guests. (SDBot and ZLOB, all protected by a
rootkit.)

Please read this guide before actually doing the procedure

And it has all of the links for downloads you need.

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log
<http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html>

If, the system is clean of malware, then read on:

"Could not start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service. Error 1058"
error message when you manually start the Remote Procedure Call service
Source:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838428>

You cannot manually start the Automatic Updates service and you receive
an "Error 1058" error message on a computer that is running Windows XP
or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
Source:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896224>

This will give you a starting point for your troubleshooting anyway.

Please let us know if the problem remains

Ǝиçεl
:..: