Re: Can not install Internet Explorer 8 on XP

Re: Can not install Internet Explorer 8 on XP
[Crosspost to WinXP General and Windows Update newsgroups]

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool to your desktop:

2. Physically disconnect the computer from the internet.

3. After making certain you have a copy of your NIS 2009 Product Key,
uninstall all Norton software (including LiveUpdate and any Norton Add-ons)
via Add/Remove Programs.

4. IMPORTANT! => Enable the Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #6 & #7 below until your
anti-virus application has been installed and fully updated!

5. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility. Don't
touch your computer/keyboard until the run completes!

6. Reboot, reconnect to the internet, and /immediately/ (re)install NIS
2009.

NB: Do NOT install any Norton Add-ons at this point. If necessary, do a
Custom install of NIS 2009 to avoid installing them.

7. After rebooting, make certain that NAV and the Norton firewall are
enabled and the Windows Firewall is disabled, then run LiveUpdate manually &
repeatedly until you get a "no more updates" prompt.

8. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM & scan |
*uncheck* IE8 but install any critical security updates offered (e.g.,
KB960237). If IE7 is already installed and a Root Certificates update is
listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage
of IE7's enhanced security.

Assuming you still wish to pursue getting IE8 installed...

9. Download the installer for IE8, saving it to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-08cdecd8852b

10. Create a Restore Point* manually; cf.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/createrp.html

11. Temporarily disable (a) NAV and (b) the Norton firewall, (c) enable the
Windows Firewall, then (d) double-click on the file you saved in #9 above to
install IE8.

12. Reboot TWO times after IE8 installs then make certain that NAV and the
Norton firewall are enabled and the Windows Firewall is disabled.

Best of luck! You may delete the IE8 installer (#9 above) at your pleasure.

If you need any additional assistance, no-charge support for Internet
Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage (only) is available via the phone
based on your locale through 31 December 2009. Customers must be running
Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

* FYI: About NAV & System Restore (FYI) =>
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html