Internet Explorer 8 broken by Windows Update

Geoff

Internet Explorer 8 broken by Windows Update
The Windows auto update on Vista Home ran for me on 5th May. The following
updates were installed and one of them has broken auto update and IE8. The
updates were set to install automatically. The updates are:
kb952004
kb959426
kb960803
kb905688
kb969497

If I try Windows update I get error 80070005.

I used System restore to get IE8 back but autoupdate re-ran and caused the
error again. I am now manually uninstalling the updates until it works.

I will let you know if I work out which one breaks IE8.

Re: Internet Explorer 8 broken by Windows Update
Do NOT use System Restore to "undo" updates! Uninstall them instead.

80070005 = Access Denied

Reinstall the updates, then see...

How do I restore security settings to the default settings?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

Geoff wrote:
> The Windows auto update on Vista Home ran for me on 5th May. The
> following
> updates were installed and one of them has broken auto update and IE8.
> The
> updates were set to install automatically. The updates are:
> kb952004
> kb959426
> kb960803
> kb905688
> kb969497
>
> If I try Windows update I get error 80070005.
>
> I used System restore to get IE8 back but autoupdate re-ran and caused the
> error again. I am now manually uninstalling the updates until it works.
>
> I will let you know if I work out which one breaks IE8.

lak4

"Geoff" wrote:

> The Windows auto update on Vista Home ran for me on 5th May. The following
> updates were installed and one of them has broken auto update and IE8. The
> updates were set to install automatically. The updates are:
> kb952004
> kb959426
> kb960803
> kb905688
> kb969497
>
> If I try Windows update I get error 80070005.
>
> I used System restore to get IE8 back but autoupdate re-ran and caused the
> error again. I am now manually uninstalling the updates until it works.
>
> I will let you know if I work out which one breaks IE8.

Did you resolve this? The same windows updates caused Internet Explorer
errors for me too. I uninstalled the updates but now can browse but not
download from the internet.