I can't seem to update my windows

Stavros

I can't seem to update my windows
I keep getting this message when I try to update.
Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed
on your computer.
How can I correct this problem?

Shenan Stanley

Re: I can't seem to update my windows
Stavros wrote:
> I keep getting this message when I try to update.
> Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or
> installed on your computer.
> How can I correct this problem?

Provide your Windows version and service pack level for starters... ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Stavros

Re: I can't seem to update my windows
I'm currently using window xp and I'm not sure of the service pak

Stavros wrote:
> I'm currently using window xp and I'm not sure of the service pak

Start button --> RUN (no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your
keyboard) --> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
give you the rest of the story. Post both in response to this message
verbatim. ;-)

Since there are various possibilities on how this happened - best you make
sure you cover all bases in the cleanup.

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one. I would completely avoid the Optional
Hardware updates.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

** If it seemed to have failed, do this: **

Check the staus of these two services:
- Automatic Updates
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. In the list of
services, find those two, right click on them one at a time and choose
properties. In the Startup type list, what is each of them set to?

Report that here.

Then:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Stavros

Re: I can't seem to update my windows
ok, here it is: Version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236: service
pack 3)
Hope that helps

Stavros wrote:
> ok, here it is: Version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236:
> service pack 3)

I was just teaching you for any future posts as well as teaching any of the
millions upon millions who *might* happen upon your post in the future while
researching their own issues how to post accurate and detailed information.

However - you still somehow missed posting what the picture at the top of
the Window read - where the "version" line was underneath - as requested.
It would have said something along the lines of Windows XP Home, Windows XP
Professional, Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windowes XP Tablet PC
Edition, etc..

You now need to go through the rest of the instructions I gave you to
cleanup and attempt to fix your Windows Updates.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Stavros

Re: I can't seem to update my windows
got through everything fine till going to the windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
site then got this message: Files required to use Microsoft Update are no
longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:
Now what?

Stavros wrote:
> got through everything fine till going to the
> windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ site then got this message: Files
> required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or
> installed on your computer. To continue:
> Now what?

Well - you did not continue with the ** If it seemed to have failed, do
this: ** section - so it makes me think you did not really read the
instructions and possibly follow them so closely... ;-) Also - still don't
have the actual Windows flavor information - from the picture at the top of
the winver window (not the "version" line - the other part asked for
previously.)

However...

You can - in lieu of following the continued instructions already given (or
in conjunction with...)

Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Stavros

Re: I can't seem to update my windows
Ok, sorry for my lack of following directions... It's Windows xp home edition
and when I checked the status of both services they were listed as automatic
and when I did the check for windowsupdatelog it flashed access denied.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> instructions and possibly follow them so closely... ;-) Also - still don't
> have the actual Windows flavor information - from the picture at the top of
> the winver window (not the "version" line - the other part asked for
> previously.)
>
> However...
>
> You can - in lieu of following the continued instructions already given (or
> in conjunction with...)
>
> Get Dial-a-Fix:
> http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix
>
> Use its options to fix:
> - Windows Installer
> - Windows Update
> - All the Registration Center options.
>
> Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
> Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".
>
> Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.
>
> What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

TaurArian

Stavros wrote:
:: I keep getting this message when I try to update.
:: Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or
:: installed on your computer.
:: How can I correct this problem?
::
:: S

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326253
Method 5: Register Windows Update engine files
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org