Microsoft update wants to install Office 2007 SP2 again

rodan

Microsoft update wants to install Office 2007 SP2 again
Office 2007 SP2 was downloaded from MSDN downloads and successfully
installed. Microsoft Update is not recognizing the installation and wants to
install it again. Other than hiding this update, is there a way to prevent
Microsoft Update from offering this update or to have it recognized that the
application is already installed. I see this problem with both XP and Vista.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Microsoft update wants to install Office 2007 SP2 again
rodan wrote:
> Office 2007 SP2 was downloaded from MSDN downloads and successfully
> installed. Microsoft Update is not recognizing the installation
> and wants to install it again. Other than hiding this update, is
> there a way to prevent Microsoft Update from offering this update
> or to have it recognized that the application is already installed.
> I see this problem with both XP and Vista.

You are seeing this on multiple machines (I assume you are - given your last
sentence.)

What happens if you let it install?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

MowGreen

Re: Microsoft update wants to install Office 2007 SP2 again
To rule out an issue with 3rd party software, Clean boot one of the
systems that are reoffered SP2:
Vista - do Step 1
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

XP - do either the Guided Help or Method 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Ensure that the native Windows firewall is enabled then,
using Internet Explorer, go here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...incatalog.aspx

Was SP2 reoffered ?
If it is, allow Office Update to install it and restart the system.

You receive an error message when you try to install the 2007 Microsoft
Office suite service packs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967642

How to investigate and resolve update installation failures for the 2007
Office system or for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954713

You receive an error message when you try to apply any of the 2007
Office Service Pack 1 packages on a computer that is running Windows XP
Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942101

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

rodan wrote:

> Office 2007 SP2 was downloaded from MSDN downloads and successfully
> installed. Microsoft Update is not recognizing the installation and wants to
> install it again. Other than hiding this update, is there a way to prevent
> Microsoft Update from offering this update or to have it recognized that the
> application is already installed. I see this problem with both XP and Vista.

rodan

Re: Microsoft update wants to install Office 2007 SP2 again
Hi Shenan,

Sorry for the horribly slow response. Yes, I have multiple computers which
is why I subscribe to MSDN. My problem is that my bandwidth is limited.
There is a monthly allotment that I must abide by. For large updates, like
Office 2007 SP2, I prefer to download once (via MSDN), install many, to save
time and bandwidth. My suspicion is that if I let Windows Update install the
SP, that it would install fine and all would be well, but that defeats the
purpose of downloading it just once from MSDN. I just wonder why Update
cannot recognize that it is already installed. Help -> About in any of the
Office applications clearly shows that they are running SP2.

Thank you for your very prompt reply,

Rodan

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> rodan wrote:
> > Office 2007 SP2 was downloaded from MSDN downloads and successfully
> > installed. Microsoft Update is not recognizing the installation
> > and wants to install it again. Other than hiding this update, is
> > there a way to prevent Microsoft Update from offering this update
> > or to have it recognized that the application is already installed.
> > I see this problem with both XP and Vista.

> You are seeing this on multiple machines (I assume you are - given your last
> sentence.)
>
> What happens if you let it install?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

rodan

Re: Microsoft update wants to install Office 2007 SP2 again
Hello MowGreen,

Thank you for the suggestions. A clean boot did not resolve the issue.
When I unhide the SP, it is offered even though the Office applications are
already running SP2. SP2 is a very large download and allowing Office Update
to re-install it defeats the purpose of just downloading it once for
installation on multiple machines. I was hoping there was a way to inform
Office Update that the application was already installed.

Thank you,
- rodan

rodan wrote:
> Sorry for the horribly slow response. Yes, I have multiple
> computers which is why I subscribe to MSDN. My problem is that my
> bandwidth is limited. There is a monthly allotment that I must
> abide by. For large updates, like Office 2007 SP2, I prefer to
> download once (via MSDN), install many, to save time and bandwidth.
> My suspicion is that if I let Windows Update install the SP, that
> it would install fine and all would be well, but that defeats the
> purpose of downloading it just once from MSDN. I just wonder why
> Update cannot recognize that it is already installed. Help ->
> About in any of the Office applications clearly shows that they are
> running SP2.

Why via MSDN?

Microsoft updates - for the most part - are freely available.

For example.. Office 2007 SP2:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-9db49b4ab6e5

Windows XP SP3:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1E1555D4F3D4

Each month's security updates via a DVD image:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

In any case - if you have limited bandwidth - why do you have automatic
updates on? ;-)

Second tuesday of each month, generally you check then and you'll be okay
until the following second Tuesday.

I'll check into why yours would not be working, I install almost exclusively
on my own computers using the download links like the ones I have given you
and am not experiencing this issue.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Why via MSDN?
>
> Microsoft updates - for the most part - are freely available.
>
> For example.. Office 2007 SP2:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-9db49b4ab6e5
>
> Windows XP SP3:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1E1555D4F3D4
>
> Each month's security updates via a DVD image:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

I subscribe to MSDN mainly for their development tools. Happened to see
Office SP2 so I installed it.

> In any case - if you have limited bandwidth - why do you have automatic
> updates on? ;-)

It's not that limited and most updates are not 100s of MB. Downloading 1/4
GB several times, however, will put a noticable dent in my monthly
allocation. I do appreciate the links though. Thank you.

> Second tuesday of each month, generally you check then and you'll be okay
> until the following second Tuesday.
>
> I'll check into why yours would not be working, I install almost exclusively
> on my own computers using the download links like the ones I have given you
> and am not experiencing this issue.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Thank you. If there is not an easy way to resolve this issue, I might
reinstall using the link you provided. Thanks again.
- rodan
Harry Johnston [MVP]

rodan wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestions. A clean boot did not resolve the issue.
> When I unhide the SP, it is offered even though the Office applications are
> already running SP2. SP2 is a very large download and allowing Office Update
> to re-install it defeats the purpose of just downloading it once for
> installation on multiple machines. I was hoping there was a way to inform
> Office Update that the application was already installed.

No, there isn't.

If Office Update is detecting it as needed, either there is a bug in the
detection logic, or some component is missing from the download version or
failed to install properly. Unfortunately it's hard to tell which.

Have you tried reinstalling SP2 from the downloaded version? Or perhaps a
repair of Office (from Add/Remove Programs) would help?

Harry.

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> rodan wrote:
>
> > Thank you for the suggestions. A clean boot did not resolve the issue.
> > When I unhide the SP, it is offered even though the Office applications are
> > already running SP2. SP2 is a very large download and allowing Office Update
> > to re-install it defeats the purpose of just downloading it once for
> > installation on multiple machines. I was hoping there was a way to inform
> > Office Update that the application was already installed.

> No, there isn't.
>
> If Office Update is detecting it as needed, either there is a bug in the
> detection logic, or some component is missing from the download version or
> failed to install properly. Unfortunately it's hard to tell which.
>
> Have you tried reinstalling SP2 from the downloaded version? Or perhaps a
> repair of Office (from Add/Remove Programs) would help?
>
> Harry.

My suspicion is a defect in the detection logic. SP2 was installed on both
Vista and XP computers without problems. All show they are running SP2 and I
have not experienced any problems whatsoever with the Office applications.
Only problem is that Office Update does not recognize this and wants to
re-install it on every machine where the MSDN version of SP2 was installed.

- rodan
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Microsoft update wants to install Office 2007 SP2 again
I don't suppose you've tried using the Office Update install on any of the
computers? (It would be interesting to see whether or not it does actually
resolve the problem.)

Harry.