MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3 Won't Install

Jeff

MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3 Won't Install
I was reading some of the other questions and one of the users mentioned an
issue with IE8. Could this possibly be blocking this install? If not then
is there another workaround for this? It's quite aggravating when 1 update
out of 10 won't install.

Re: MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3 Won't Install
[Crosspost to microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup & .newusers newsgroup]

You receive error code 0x2b2f when using the Windows Update or Microsoft
Update web sites to install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 on a computer
with MSXML6 Service Pack 2 already installed:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=970674

You receive error code 0x6d9e when using the Windows Update or Microsoft
Update web sites to install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=970675

[I would NOT attempt to install IE8 and SP3 concurrently IIWY.]

Jeff wrote:
> I was reading some of the other questions and one of the users mentioned
> an
> issue with IE8. Could this possibly be blocking this install? If not
> then
> is there another workaround for this? It's quite aggravating when 1
> update
> out of 10 won't install.

Jeff

Re: MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3 Won't Install
Actually I got a different error code - 0x663. I know MSXML6 SP2 is not
installed. I don't think there is an issue with my installation directories
being compressed or encrypted. I have tried searching this particular error
code but don't seem to be able to find anything about it. Have you heard of
this one and is there a fix? Thanks.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup & .newusers newsgroup]
>
> You receive error code 0x2b2f when using the Windows Update or Microsoft
> Update web sites to install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 on a computer
> with MSXML6 Service Pack 2 already installed:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=970674
>
> You receive error code 0x6d9e when using the Windows Update or Microsoft
> Update web sites to install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=970675
>
> [I would NOT attempt to install IE8 and SP3 concurrently IIWY.]
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Jeff wrote:
> > I was reading some of the other questions and one of the users mentioned
> > an
> > issue with IE8. Could this possibly be blocking this install? If not
> > then
> > is there another workaround for this? It's quite aggravating when 1
> > update
> > out of 10 won't install.

Jeff

Re: MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3 Won't Install
I do see the MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579) - is that the same as the SP2 version?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup & .newusers newsgroup]
>
> You receive error code 0x2b2f when using the Windows Update or Microsoft
> Update web sites to install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 on a computer
> with MSXML6 Service Pack 2 already installed:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=970674
>
> You receive error code 0x6d9e when using the Windows Update or Microsoft
> Update web sites to install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=970675
>
> [I would NOT attempt to install IE8 and SP3 concurrently IIWY.]
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Jeff wrote:
> > I was reading some of the other questions and one of the users mentioned
> > an
> > issue with IE8. Could this possibly be blocking this install? If not
> > then
> > is there another workaround for this? It's quite aggravating when 1
> > update
> > out of 10 won't install.

Shockvolt

Re: MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3 Won't Install

I have a similar issue with this update. I've successfully installed it
repeatedly (I have multiple green instances in the update history) but
it pops up ready to install over and over and over again.

- I've deleted the SoftwareDistribution subfolders and files
- I've downloaded the update and ran it locally
- I've ran Windows Defender and Spybot looking for malicious
problems
- I've installed additional updates and rebooted many times
- I've ran the MSI cleanup utility which isn't very useful

Nothing works at all. And I shouldn't have to pay for support for this
issue. If anyone has another option that I don't have listed here
please let me know. I am currently unable to install anything that uses
MSI because it shows a pending install. Thanks.

--
Shockvolt
Shockvolt's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/67025.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Re: MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3 Won't Install
No (and if you can find "MSXML6 Service Pack 2" anywhere, I'll give you
$10).

You'd be much better off beginning a new thread about this in a SQL-specific
newsgroup or
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...xpress/threads (where
you'll quickly discover you are not alone).

Jeff wrote:
> I do see the MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579) - is that the same as the SP2
> version?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [Crosspost to microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup & .newusers newsgroup]
>>
>> You receive error code 0x2b2f when using the Windows Update or Microsoft
>> Update web sites to install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 on a computer
>> with MSXML6 Service Pack 2 already installed:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=970674
>>
>> You receive error code 0x6d9e when using the Windows Update or Microsoft
>> Update web sites to install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=970675
>>
>> [I would NOT attempt to install IE8 and SP3 concurrently IIWY.]
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Jeff wrote:
>>> I was reading some of the other questions and one of the users mentioned
>>> an
>>> issue with IE8. Could this possibly be blocking this install? If not
>>> then
>>> is there another workaround for this? It's quite aggravating when 1
>>> update
>>> out of 10 won't install.

Re: MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3 Won't Install
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread in a SQL-specific newsgroup
about your specific problems. State your IE version and full Windows
version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first post.

Shockvolt wrote:
> I have a similar issue with this update. I've successfully installed it
> repeatedly (I have multiple green instances in the update history) but
> it pops up ready to install over and over and over again.
>
> - I've deleted the SoftwareDistribution subfolders and files
> - I've downloaded the update and ran it locally
> - I've ran Windows Defender and Spybot looking for malicious
> problems
> - I've installed additional updates and rebooted many times
> - I've ran the MSI cleanup utility which isn't very useful
>
> Nothing works at all. And I shouldn't have to pay for support for this
> issue. If anyone has another option that I don't have listed here
> please let me know. I am currently unable to install anything that uses
> MSI because it shows a pending install. Thanks.

TaurArian

Re: MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3 Won't Install
Searching that group found only one 0x663:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...-068696a50b09/

You might wish to start a new trhead here for your problem
SQL Server Setup & Upgrade
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...grade/threads/

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsB2222D9-7BC4-4545-9D4A-7FFDFC501534@microsoft.com...
> Actually I got a different error code - 0x663. I know MSXML6 SP2 is not
> installed. I don't think there is an issue with my installation
> directories
> being compressed or encrypted. I have tried searching this particular
> error
> code but don't seem to be able to find anything about it. Have you heard
> of
> this one and is there a fix? Thanks.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Crosspost to microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup & .newusers newsgroup]
>>
>> You receive error code 0x2b2f when using the Windows Update or Microsoft
>> Update web sites to install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 on a computer
>> with MSXML6 Service Pack 2 already installed:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=970674
>>
>> You receive error code 0x6d9e when using the Windows Update or Microsoft
>> Update web sites to install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=970675
>>
>> [I would NOT attempt to install IE8 and SP3 concurrently IIWY.]
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Jeff wrote:
>> > I was reading some of the other questions and one of the users
>> > mentioned
>> > an
>> > issue with IE8. Could this possibly be blocking this install? If not
>> > then
>> > is there another workaround for this? It's quite aggravating when 1
>> > update
>> > out of 10 won't install.

Elektragoddess

Re: MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3 Won't Install
Hi Shockvolt and PA Bear, I've had the same problem with the Updater.
I've installed multiple instances of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express
Edition Service Pack 3 (KB955706) and yet am asked to update it immediately
afterwards. Been going for weeks now.

I can't find any solution on MS site and don't see why I should pay for help
with this either.

I've posted on the SQL forum and had multiple email correspondence but
no-one has yet given me an answer.

I'd like to know if I can safely uninstall without affecting any other
programs.

Tess

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread in a SQL-specific newsgroup
> about your specific problems. State your IE version and full Windows
> version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first post.
>
> Shockvolt wrote:
> > I have a similar issue with this update. I've successfully installed it
> > repeatedly (I have multiple green instances in the update history) but
> > it pops up ready to install over and over and over again.
> >
> > - I've deleted the SoftwareDistribution subfolders and files
> > - I've downloaded the update and ran it locally
> > - I've ran Windows Defender and Spybot looking for malicious
> > problems
> > - I've installed additional updates and rebooted many times
> > - I've ran the MSI cleanup utility which isn't very useful
> >
> > Nothing works at all. And I shouldn't have to pay for support for this
> > issue. If anyone has another option that I don't have listed here
> > please let me know. I am currently unable to install anything that uses
> > MSI because it shows a pending install. Thanks.

Shockvolt

Re: MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3 Won't Install

Hi Tess,
I've started a thread for this problem at the following location:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...a-5b209efa3338