update problems?

99XJ

update problems?
Ok, I updated to SP3 (win xp home it came with sp2 installed) and now my
programs load extremely slow, Outlook 2003 gets half way loaded then I get
the (not responding) I downloaded IE8 it takes 45-50 seconds to load (not
counting the web page, the program itself) this is BS what the heck is going
on? so far every program I open takes twice as long to load as before and I
keep getting (not responding) blank title bars everywhere. Before I undo the
update, what can I try first?

Re: update problems?
First off, uninstall IE8 and stick with your previous IE version until you
get everything else sorted.

Did you install SP3 manually, via Windows Update website, or via Automatic
Updates? Is the machine now fully-patched at Windows Update? Assuming
Windows Update, not Microsoft Update, is your default update source, is your
computer fully-patched at Office Update, too? =>
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...incatalog.aspx

in the background when you installed SP3?

The free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 has
been extended (but certainly not indefinitely) beyond the original 14 April
2009 cut-off date. Open your browser to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

99XJ wrote:
> Ok, I updated to SP3 (win xp home it came with sp2 installed) and now my
> programs load extremely slow, Outlook 2003 gets half way loaded then I get
> the (not responding) I downloaded IE8 it takes 45-50 seconds to load
> (not
> counting the web page, the program itself) this is BS what the heck is
> going
> on? so far every program I open takes twice as long to load as before and
> keep getting (not responding) blank title bars everywhere. Before I undo
> the
> update, what can I try first?

99XJ

Re: update problems?
Whats the best way to go back to my previous version of IE7? I heard it
isn't available?

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> First off, uninstall IE8 and stick with your previous IE version until
> you get everything else sorted.
>
> Did you install SP3 manually, via Windows Update website, or via
> Automatic Updates? Is the machine now fully-patched at Windows Update?
> Assuming Windows Update, not Microsoft Update, is your default update
> source, is your computer fully-patched at Office Update, too? =>
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...incatalog.aspx

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed SP3?

> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>

> The free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3
> has been extended (but certainly not indefinitely) beyond the original
> 14 April 2009 cut-off date. Open your browser to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: update problems?
99XJ wrote:

> Whats the best way to go back to my previous version of IE7? I heard it
> isn't available?

If uninstalling IE8 left you with IE6, you can download IE7 from Microsoft:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=9ae91ebe-3385-447c-8a30-081805b2f90b>

Harry.

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> First off, uninstall IE8 and stick with your previous IE version until
>> you get everything else sorted.
>>
>> Did you install SP3 manually, via Windows Update website, or via
>> Automatic Updates? Is the machine now fully-patched at Windows
>> Update? Assuming Windows Update, not Microsoft Update, is your
>> default update source, is your computer fully-patched at Office
>> Update, too? =>
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...incatalog.aspx

>> applications running in the background when you installed SP3?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>

>> The free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP
>> SP3 has been extended (but certainly not indefinitely) beyond the
>> original 14 April 2009 cut-off date. Open your browser to
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

99XJ

Re: update problems?
I'm sorry, I read the link from pa bears "prerequisites" and I simply (as
I'm sure you know) uninstalled IE8 and it automatically reverted back to IE7
(I didn't know thatís how it worked) Anyhoo, now I got IE8 removed and
everything is back to normal... I'm very happy with IE7 and will probably
never do IE8 again...

99XJ wrote:

> I'm sorry, I read the link from pa bears "prerequisites" and I simply (as
> I'm sure you know) uninstalled IE8 and it automatically reverted back to IE7
> (I didn't know thatís how it worked) Anyhoo, now I got IE8 removed and
> everything is back to normal... I'm very happy with IE7 and will probably
> never do IE8 again...

I wouldn't recommend giving up on it forever. Wait 6-12 months and try again.

... or wait until you buy your next computer, which will probably already have
IE8 when you get it. :-)

Harry.