RE: [Error number: 0x800704DD]

TaurArian

RE: [Error number: 0x800704DD]
Error message when you use Windows Update Web site, Microsoft Update Web
site, or Windows Server Update Services to install updates: 0x800704DD
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968001

Master_Spade

Re: [Error number: 0x800704DD]

TaurArian;4394455 Wrote:
> Error message when you use Windows Update Web site, Microsoft Update
> Web
> site, or Windows Server Update Services to install updates: 0x800704DD
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968001
>
> --
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> or
> guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
>

> "unknown" wrote:

That's the problem though. I've tried that, but after After I click
Winlogon, the only things listed are:

--
Master_Spade
Master_Spade's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/96093.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

TaurArian

Re: [Error number: 0x800704DD]

"Master_Spade" wrote:

> TaurArian;4394455 Wrote:
> > Error message when you use Windows Update Web site, Microsoft Update
> > Web
> > site, or Windows Server Update Services to install updates: 0x800704DD
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968001
> >
> > --
> > Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> > or
> > guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
> >

> > "unknown" wrote:
> >

> That's the problem though. I've tried that, but after After I click
> Winlogon, the only things listed are:
> > Credentials, GPExtensions,SCLogon, and SpecialAccounts. *There is no
> > "Notify" option.* Because of that, that is where I get stuck.

> --
> Master_Spade
> Master_Spade's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/96093.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1063515.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Re-read carefully "Step 5: Verify that the following registry entries are
present"
The article suggests: "Make any changes or additions that are required".

Definitely take notice of:
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to
modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the
registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps
carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.
Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information
about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article
number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756
(https://vkbexternal.partners.extrane...756&PortalId=2)
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

zzr

Re: [Error number: 0x800704DD]
I get the same error message. But I think I know what is causing it but can't
rectify it.

In the registry in WinNT\current version\winlogin\notify there is only a
file called "gispyqsr". This has a file dvnnitc.dll. I cannot alter,delete or
change any of these files and although my ante virus programmes pick these up
and attempt to delete them, they don't. I've tried by stopping system restore
and rebooting both in safe mode and normal. But I still can't delete these
files. Any suggestions would be welcome.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> "Master_Spade" wrote:
>

> > TaurArian;4394455 Wrote:
> > > Error message when you use Windows Update Web site, Microsoft Update
> > > Web
> > > site, or Windows Server Update Services to install updates: 0x800704DD
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968001
> > >
> > > --
> > > Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> > > or
> > > guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
> > >

> > > "unknown" wrote:
> > >

> > That's the problem though. I've tried that, but after After I click
> > Winlogon, the only things listed are:
> > > Credentials, GPExtensions,SCLogon, and SpecialAccounts. *There is no
> > > "Notify" option.* Because of that, that is where I get stuck.

> > --
> > Master_Spade
> > Master_Spade's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/96093.htm
> > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1063515.htm
> >
> > http://forums.techarena.in
> >

> Re-read carefully "Step 5: Verify that the following registry entries are
> present"
> The article suggests: "Make any changes or additions that are required".
>
> Definitely take notice of:
> Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to
> modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the
> registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps
> carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.
> Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information
> about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article
> number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
> 322756
> (https://vkbexternal.partners.extrane...756&PortalId=2)
> How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
>

> --
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: [Error number: 0x800704DD]
zzr wrote:

> I get the same error message. But I think I know what is causing it but can't
> rectify it.
>
> In the registry in WinNT\current version\winlogin\notify there is only a
> file called "gispyqsr". This has a file dvnnitc.dll. I cannot alter,delete or
> change any of these files and although my ante virus programmes pick these up
> and attempt to delete them, they don't. I've tried by stopping system restore
> and rebooting both in safe mode and normal. But I still can't delete these
> files. Any suggestions would be welcome.

For future reference, these are values, not files.

Boot into Safe Mode. See if you can then delete the value. If not:

Try right-clicking on notify and selecting Permissions. In the dialog box that
should appear, if Administrators is present make sure it has Full Permissions
selected. If it isn't present, add it and give it Full Permissions.

If you get an error when pressing OK, you might need to go into the Permissions
Advanced options, select the Owner tab, and take ownership of the key. Then you
should be able to change the permissions.

Once the permissions are changed, you should then be able to add and delete values.

Harry.

> "TaurArian" wrote:

>>> That's the problem though. I've tried that, but after After I click
>>> Winlogon, the only things listed are:
>>>
>>> --
>>> Master_Spade
>>> Master_Spade's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/96093.htm
>>> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1063515.htm
>>>
>>> http://forums.techarena.in
>>>

>> Re-read carefully "Step 5: Verify that the following registry entries are
>> present"
>> The article suggests: "Make any changes or additions that are required".
>>
>> Definitely take notice of:
>> Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to
>> modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the
>> registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps
>> carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.
>> Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information
>> about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article
>> number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
>> 322756
>> (https://vkbexternal.partners.extrane...756&PortalId=2)
>> How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
>>

>> --
>> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
>> guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.

zzr

Re: [Error number: 0x800704DD]
Won't let me change permissions on this directory. Not a problem on any
other, logged in as administrator but unable to delete, change or alter
anything in this directory (gispyqsr). I have put a SensLogin directory in
Notoify which was missing but this has made no difference either.

Have

zzr wrote:

> Won't let me change permissions on this directory. Not a problem on any
> other, logged in as administrator but unable to delete, change or alter
> anything in this directory (gispyqsr). I have put a SensLogin directory in
> Notoify which was missing but this has made no difference either.

Did you try taking ownership of the key as I suggested? If this wasn't allowed
either, there's probably a rootkit active on your machine and you may need
spe******t assistance.

I recommend following PA Bear's usual advice for these situations, which I copy
below for your convenience. - Harry

****

There is a very good chance that all of your problems are due to a hijackware
infection!

expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has since
expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows Update,
don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall Windows. A
Repair Install will NOT help!

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the MSRT on
a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected machine and rename
it to SCAN.EXE before running it.

3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php, http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
or other appropriate forums as well.**

If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting this
isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and independent
(i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.

****