RE: download but not install for days

TaurArian

RE: download but not install for days
When you shut down, you will be given the option to install any update that
have completed downloading.

Other than that, manually scan and install.

"99XJ" wrote:

> (Win XP Home, SP2 and 3) I have auto update set to: "ask to download and
> install" Seems like every time I download updates, it's days before it asks
> me to install them. (leave pc on 24/7 90% of the time) Is there a way to
> "force" the installs once their downloaded? will restarting help after a
> download?

99XJ

Re: download but not install for days
Thanks that worked...

"99XJ" wrote:

> (Win XP Home, SP2 and 3) I have auto update set to: "ask to download and
> install" Seems like every time I download updates, it's days before it
> asks
> me to install them. (leave pc on 24/7 90% of the time) Is there a way to
> "force" the installs once their downloaded? will restarting help after a
> download?

Poindexter

RE: download but not install for days
Well, that was a useless solution. I have the same problem - unless I sit,
staring at my monitor, I don't even know if/when the updates are downloaded.
Formerly, an info bubble would appear, telling me that the updates are
downloaded, ready for installation. Now, unless I reboot and get the log-off
screen telling me I have downloads ready for installation -- nothing!

What did MS do to a procedure that worked, flawlessly, for literally years?
This is most frustrating, and your solution is even worse than frustrating....

Don't break a sweat solving problems for us, MS. Ever wonder why people
continue to switch to Mac or Linux?

And years of experience dealing with my tech people at work have confirmed
that the worst thing one can do is to set everything to a simple automatic
download/install. It's screwed up my system more than once. The techies at
work "test" your updates before rolling them out across the network. My
setting at home to "notify but don't download" accomplishes the same thing...

Let's hear a "real" solution to this problem.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> When you shut down, you will be given the option to install any update that
> have completed downloading.
>
> Other than that, manually scan and install.
>

> --
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
>

> "99XJ" wrote:
>
> > (Win XP Home, SP2 and 3) I have auto update set to: "ask to download and
> > install" Seems like every time I download updates, it's days before it asks
> > me to install them. (leave pc on 24/7 90% of the time) Is there a way to
> > "force" the installs once their downloaded? will restarting help after a
> > download?

Re: download but not install for days
Feel free to begin a new thread about /your/ problem and Windows version,
Poindexter.

Or you could update manually via Windows Update.

Poindexter wrote:
> Well, that was a useless solution. I have the same problem - unless I
> sit,
> staring at my monitor, I don't even know if/when the updates are
> downloaded.
> Formerly, an info bubble would appear, telling me that the updates are
> downloaded, ready for installation. Now, unless I reboot and get the
> log-off screen telling me I have downloads ready for installation --
> nothing!
>
> What did MS do to a procedure that worked, flawlessly, for literally
> years?
> This is most frustrating, and your solution is even worse than
> frustrating....
>
> Don't break a sweat solving problems for us, MS. Ever wonder why people
> continue to switch to Mac or Linux?
>
> And years of experience dealing with my tech people at work have confirmed
> that the worst thing one can do is to set everything to a simple automatic
> download/install. It's screwed up my system more than once. The techies
> at
> work "test" your updates before rolling them out across the network. My
> setting at home to "notify but don't download" accomplishes the same
> thing...
>
> Let's hear a "real" solution to this problem.
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
>> When you shut down, you will be given the option to install any update
>> that
>> have completed downloading.
>>
>> Other than that, manually scan and install.
>>

>> --
>> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
>> guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
>>

>> "99XJ" wrote:
>>
>>> (Win XP Home, SP2 and 3) I have auto update set to: "ask to download and
>>> install" Seems like every time I download updates, it's days before it
>>> asks me to install them. (leave pc on 24/7 90% of the time) Is there a
>>> way to "force" the installs once their downloaded? will restarting help
>>> after a download?

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Poindexter wrote:

> Well, that was a useless solution.

If you like, but it's the only one there is.

> What did MS do to a procedure that worked, flawlessly, for literally years?

This issue has always existed, but it only happens when there's a big update
being widely distributed - in this case, Office 2007 service pack 2.

> Don't break a sweat solving problems for us, MS. Ever wonder why people
> continue to switch to Mac or Linux?

Not much point in venting about it here ... as far as we know, nobody from MS
even reads this newsgroup. You can phone them up if you like, support related
to security updates should be free of charge. They won't be able to fix it, but
as they do keep track of call volumes related to any particular issue, the more
people ask for help the higher up the priority list the problem goes - in theory
at least.

Harry.

Poindexter wrote:

> Well, that was a useless solution. I have the same problem - unless I sit,
> staring at my monitor, I don't even know if/when the updates are downloaded.
> Formerly, an info bubble would appear, telling me that the updates are
> downloaded, ready for installation. Now, unless I reboot and get the log-off
> screen telling me I have downloads ready for installation -- nothing!
>
> What did MS do to a procedure that worked, flawlessly, for literally years?
> This is most frustrating, and your solution is even worse than
> frustrating....
>
> Don't break a sweat solving problems for us, MS. Ever wonder why people
> continue to switch to Mac or Linux?
>
> And years of experience dealing with my tech people at work have confirmed
> that the worst thing one can do is to set everything to a simple automatic
> download/install. It's screwed up my system more than once. The techies at
> work "test" your updates before rolling them out across the network. My
> setting at home to "notify but don't download" accomplishes the same thing...
>

> Let's hear a "real" solution to this problem.
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
>> When you shut down, you will be given the option to install any update that
>> have completed downloading.
>>
>> Other than that, manually scan and install.
>>

>> -- Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
>> or guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
>>

>> "99XJ" wrote:
>>
>>> (Win XP Home, SP2 and 3) I have auto update set to: "ask to download and
>>> install" Seems like every time I download updates, it's days before it
>>> asks me to install them. (leave pc on 24/7 90% of the time) Is there a
>>> way to "force" the installs once their downloaded? will restarting help
>>> after a download?

TaurArian

Re: download but not install for days
If you wish to complain - Support for Windows Update:

You can call, email or do whatever you like.

Your choices -

1. Stare at the monitor
2. Contact MS and complain, or
3. Shutdown without installing updates and wait until all updates are
available then install.
4. Manually scan and download and install.

Poindexter wrote:
:: Well, that was a useless solution. I have the same problem - unless
:: I sit, staring at my monitor, I don't even know if/when the updates
:: are downloaded. Formerly, an info bubble would appear, telling me
:: that the updates are downloaded, ready for installation. Now,
:: unless I reboot and get the log-off screen telling me I have
:: downloads ready for installation -- nothing!
::
[...]
:: "TaurArian" wrote:
::
::: When you shut down, you will be given the option to install any
::: update that have completed downloading.
:::
::: Other than that, manually scan and install.
:::
:::
::: --
::: Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no
::: warranties or guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
:::
:::
:::
::: "99XJ" wrote:
:::
:::: (Win XP Home, SP2 and 3) I have auto update set to: "ask to
:::: download and install" Seems like every time I download updates,
:::: it's days before it asks me to install them. (leave pc on 24/7 90%
:::: of the time) Is there a way to "force" the installs once their
:::: downloaded? will restarting help after a download?

Re: download but not install for days
[Must be the weekend! <eg>]