Microsoft Update take looong time to scan & never finished

Bandit

Microsoft Update take looong time to scan & never finished
When i run Microsoft Update & select custom or any scan I see green bar i
let it scan over 4 hours & wont tell me any updates. I went to windows
directory & rename SoftwareDistrubution in safe mode then tried to scan
again same thing hangs. I scaned for viruses & malware etc i have none. Can
anyone tell me a fix?

thanks

Re: Microsoft Update take looong time to scan & never finished
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

Is Automatic Updates enabled? Is this a sudden, new problem? Did you
recently reinstall Windows? What anti-virus application is installed and is
your subscription current? (No amount of scanning will detect and remove
all hijackware.)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 s

Bandit wrote:
> When i run Microsoft Update & select custom or any scan I see green bar i
> let it scan over 4 hours & wont tell me any updates. I went to windows
> directory & rename SoftwareDistrubution in safe mode then tried to scan
> again same thing hangs. I scaned for viruses & malware etc i have none.
> Can
> anyone tell me a fix?
>
> thanks

Bandit

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.

Using XP Home SP3
Is Automatic Updates enabled? - yes & i tried to disable it same thing
Did you recetly reinstall Windows? - No
What anti-virus application is installed and is your subscription current?
AVG & yes & uninstalled it also to see if that was it & no diffference>

berg109

Re: Microsoft Update take looong time to scan & never finished
I too am having the same problem....version Vista SP2 and autmatic upates is
enabled and 30 or 40 updates failed. Not a sudden problem has been a problem
for some time now. New computer 8 months ago and purchased with Vista
installed. Have AVG anti-virus and Spybot. Hoe you can help?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> Is Automatic Updates enabled? Is this a sudden, new problem? Did you
> recently reinstall Windows? What anti-virus application is installed and is
> your subscription current? (No amount of scanning will detect and remove
> all hijackware.)
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 s
>

> Bandit wrote:
> > When i run Microsoft Update & select custom or any scan I see green bar i
> > let it scan over 4 hours & wont tell me any updates. I went to windows
> > directory & rename SoftwareDistrubution in safe mode then tried to scan
> > again same thing hangs. I scaned for viruses & malware etc i have none.
> > Can
> > anyone tell me a fix?
> >
> > thanks

Re: Microsoft Update take looong time to scan & never finished
To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.

Repost:
>> Is this a sudden, new problem?

AVG Free or paid? What version? Can you update it manually?

Can you open Regedit and Task Manager?

Are Automatic Updates & BITS Services set to start Automatically and are
they running now? If not, can you make it so and are they still that way
after you reboot?

Bandit wrote:
> Using XP Home SP3
> Is Automatic Updates enabled? - yes & i tried to disable it same thing
> Did you recetly reinstall Windows? - No
> What anti-virus application is installed and is your subscription current?
> AVG & yes & uninstalled it also to see if that was it & no diffference>

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> Is Automatic Updates enabled? Is this a sudden, new problem? Did you
> recently reinstall Windows? What anti-virus application is installed and
> is
> your subscription current? (No amount of scanning will detect and remove
> all hijackware.)
>
> Bandit wrote:
>> When i run Microsoft Update & select custom or any scan I see green bar i
>> let it scan over 4 hours & wont tell me any updates. I went to windows
>> directory & rename SoftwareDistrubution in safe mode then tried to scan
>> again same thing hangs. I scaned for viruses & malware etc i have none.
>> Can
>> anyone tell me a fix?

Re: Microsoft Update take looong time to scan & never finished
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post.

berg109 wrote:
> I too am having the same problem....version Vista SP2 and autmatic upates
> is
> enabled and 30 or 40 updates failed. Not a sudden problem has been a
> problem for some time now. New computer 8 months ago and purchased with
> Vista installed. Have AVG anti-virus and Spybot. Hoe you can help?

<snip>

Bandit

Re: Microsoft Update take looong time to scan & never finished

> To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
> message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.
>
> Repost:
>>> Is this a sudden, new problem? - yes

> AVG Free or paid? What version? Can you update it manually? - paid
> version & yes it updates
>
> Can you open Regedit and Task Manager? - yes i can open them
>
> Are Automatic Updates & BITS Services set to start Automatically and are
> they running now? If not, can you make it so and are they still that way
> after you reboot? - auto upodates on now & bits auto also

> Bandit wrote:
>> Using XP Home SP3
>> Is Automatic Updates enabled? - yes & i tried to disable it same thing
>> Did you recetly reinstall Windows? - No
>> What anti-virus application is installed and is your subscription
>> current?
>> AVG & yes & uninstalled it also to see if that was it & no diffference>

> <paste>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> Is Automatic Updates enabled? Is this a sudden, new problem? Did you
>> recently reinstall Windows? What anti-virus application is installed and
>> is
>> your subscription current? (No amount of scanning will detect and remove
>> all hijackware.)
>>
>> Bandit wrote:
>>> When i run Microsoft Update & select custom or any scan I see green bar
>>> let it scan over 4 hours & wont tell me any updates. I went to windows
>>> directory & rename SoftwareDistrubution in safe mode then tried to scan
>>> again same thing hangs. I scaned for viruses & malware etc i have none.
>>> Can
>>> anyone tell me a fix?

Re: Microsoft Update take looong time to scan & never finished
[Please try to avoid inline replies, too.]

What version of AVG paid (e.g., v7.5, v8.0 or v8.5)? When did you install
it? Have you purchased it? Was it installed when this problem started?

Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the machine
(including a free-trial that came preinstalled when you bought it)?