Repeated update installations

Repeated Installation of KB954430 Update

Repeated update installations
For some time I have had an update to install every time I close down my
computer. I thought that there cannot be that many updates and on checking my
update history I find that my computer is repeatedly successfully installing
the same update. This is Security Update for Microsoft MXL Core Services 4.0
Service Pack 2 (KB954430) Other updates are installed normally, once only.
What is wrong?
Shenan Stanley

Re: Repeated update installations
Repeated Installation of KB954430 Update wrote:
> For some time I have had an update to install every time I close
> down my computer. I thought that there cannot be that many updates
> and on checking my update history I find that my computer is
> repeatedly successfully installing the same update. This is
> Security Update for Microsoft MXL Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> (KB954430) Other updates are installed normally, once only. What is
> wrong?

No searches, I presume...

Viewing the Knowledge Base Article for the update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430

Under "Known issues with this security update", you might read this:
"This security update may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft
Update or on Windows Update if one of the system files is corrupted or if it
has not been updated correctly. For more information about this issue, click
the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:
[941729] Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows
Update"

Which naturally leads you here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729/

Titled: "Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows
Update"

With this simple resolution:

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
2. At the command prompt, type
ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old
and then press ENTER.
**Note** After you press ENTER, you may receive the following
error message. "Cannot find the file specified."
Ignore this message, and go to step 3.
3. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
4. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.update.microsoft.com
5. Download and then install the latest MSXML security update.

Try that - let everyone here know if it works so it can be added to the many
indefinitely archived postings about this same issue and those who might
search some time in the future may resolve their problem more quickly and
easily.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Repeated Installation of KB954430 Update

Re: Repeated update installations
I have tried this and it did not help the situation.

However I then tried another solution suggested by someone else on the
internet as this had worked for him. I found the update KB954430 on add and
remove programmes and removed it. Then I went to the windows update site and
downloaded it with the custom download option and then manually installed it
immediatly. This worked for him and seems to have worked for me too.

Thanks to Shenan Stanley and the unknown other correspondant for their help.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Repeated Installation of KB954430 Update wrote:
> > For some time I have had an update to install every time I close
> > down my computer. I thought that there cannot be that many updates
> > and on checking my update history I find that my computer is
> > repeatedly successfully installing the same update. This is
> > Security Update for Microsoft MXL Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> > (KB954430) Other updates are installed normally, once only. What is
> > wrong?

> No searches, I presume...
>
> Viewing the Knowledge Base Article for the update:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430
>
> Under "Known issues with this security update", you might read this:
> "This security update may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft
> Update or on Windows Update if one of the system files is corrupted or if it
> has not been updated correctly. For more information about this issue, click
> the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
> Base:
> [941729] Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows
> Update"
>
> Which naturally leads you here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729/
>
> Titled: "Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows
> Update"
>
> With this simple resolution:
>
> To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
> 1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
> 2. At the command prompt, type
> ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old
> and then press ENTER.
> **Note** After you press ENTER, you may receive the following
> error message. "Cannot find the file specified."
> Ignore this message, and go to step 3.
> 3. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
> 4. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
> http://www.update.microsoft.com
> 5. Download and then install the latest MSXML security update.
>
> Try that - let everyone here know if it works so it can be added to the many
> indefinitely archived postings about this same issue and those who might
> search some time in the future may resolve their problem more quickly and
> easily.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Michelle3084

Re: Repeated update installations
This worked for me but I did not get an error. No more critical download were
needed when I check WU. Thanks

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Repeated Installation of KB954430 Update wrote:
> > For some time I have had an update to install every time I close
> > down my computer. I thought that there cannot be that many updates
> > and on checking my update history I find that my computer is
> > repeatedly successfully installing the same update. This is
> > Security Update for Microsoft MXL Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> > (KB954430) Other updates are installed normally, once only. What is
> > wrong?

> No searches, I presume...
>
> Viewing the Knowledge Base Article for the update:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430
>
> Under "Known issues with this security update", you might read this:
> "This security update may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft
> Update or on Windows Update if one of the system files is corrupted or if it
> has not been updated correctly. For more information about this issue, click
> the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
> Base:
> [941729] Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows
> Update"
>
> Which naturally leads you here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729/
>
> Titled: "Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows
> Update"
>
> With this simple resolution:
>
> To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
> 1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
> 2. At the command prompt, type
> ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old
> and then press ENTER.
> **Note** After you press ENTER, you may receive the following
> error message. "Cannot find the file specified."
> Ignore this message, and go to step 3.
> 3. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
> 4. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
> http://www.update.microsoft.com
> 5. Download and then install the latest MSXML security update.
>
> Try that - let everyone here know if it works so it can be added to the many
> indefinitely archived postings about this same issue and those who might
> search some time in the future may resolve their problem more quickly and
> easily.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Wjbulie

Re: Repeated update installations
it works for me too. no more KB954430 is needed after doing this.

Michelle3084 wrote:
> This worked for me but I did not get an error. No more critical
> download were needed when I check WU. Thanks

Perhaps your Windows Update (or computer in general) needs a 'tune-up and
check-up'. These steps seem long, but they are easy - I would suggest going
through them all.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
(** Ignore the last step - you *should* install SP3, but not now.)

Reboot and ...

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.) Never get hardware drivers
for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.

Reboot right before you continue - even if you rebooted throughout the
tasks above.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Wjbulie wrote:
> it works for me too. no more KB954430 is needed after doing this.

Glad to hear it! Thanks for posting back!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP