Update Can't Start with Error 0x800704DD on Windows XP Pro with SP

newbie

Update Can't Start with Error 0x800704DD on Windows XP Pro with SP
After clicking on either "Express" or "Custom" button on the Windows Update
page in IE 7, I get the following error message:

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view...... [Error number: 0x800704DD]

I Googled around and found the MSDN article at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/910341. However, this dosen't
work for me since my computer doesn't have a registry folder for path:

I checked another computer with Windows XP SP3, and it does not have the
Winlogon section either, but Windows Update works just fine on this machine.
So I think the Winlogon section seems not the cause of my problem.

I tried also to install the Windows Update Engine and Windows Defender, but
none of them solved the problem. When clicked on the "Check for Updates Now"
button in Windows Defender, I got the same error number 0x800704DD.

Please help.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Update Can't Start with Error 0x800704DD on Windows XP Pro with SP
newbie wrote:
> After clicking on either "Express" or "Custom" button on the
> Windows Update page in IE 7, I get the following error message:
>
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page
> you are trying to view...... [Error number: 0x800704DD]
>
> I Googled around and found the MSDN article at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/910341. However, this
> dosen't work for me since my computer doesn't have a registry
> folder for path:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>
> I checked another computer with Windows XP SP3, and it does not
> have the Winlogon section either, but Windows Update works just
> fine on this machine. So I think the Winlogon section seems not the
> cause of my problem.
>
> I tried also to install the Windows Update Engine and Windows
> Defender, but none of them solved the problem. When clicked on the
> "Check for Updates Now" button in Windows Defender, I got the same
> error number 0x800704DD.

- Get specific with the Windows version...

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
give you the rest of the story. Post both in response to this message
verbatim. ;-)

- Check your HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#Editor

- Run a couple of antispyware scans
Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately)
with the following two applications (freeware versions are the ones
to use for this):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

After performing a full scan with one and then the other and
removing whatever they both find completely, you may
uninstall these products,if you wish.

- Disk Cleanup

How to use Disk Cleanup
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

- CHKDSK

How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

- Defragment

How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

- Cleanup/update the update system

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one. I would completely avoid the Optional
Hardware updates.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

** If it seemed to have failed, do this: **

Check the staus of these two services:
- Automatic Updates
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. In the list of
services, find those two, right click on them one at a time and choose
properties. In the Startup type list, what is each of them set to?

Report that here.

Then:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Update Can't Start with Error 0x800704DD on Windows XP Pro with SP
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075