Can't Update Spyware or Anti-Virus

Scott

Can't Update Spyware or Anti-Virus
Last session Windows installed the latest XP update and now I am unable to
download updates any of my spyware/virus programs.

I am running Spysweeper, AVG and MalwareBytes. When I try and run updates
for all three I am told there is a problem connecting to the internet. never
had a glitch like this and the only thing that is differeent is that a
Windows update was installed last seesion.

Also Spysweeper does not load on the system tray and I can't open the
program from the desktop at all.

My internet connection is fine. I tried re-booting and turning of Windows
firewall. NO change. I am not running any other firewall.

HELP!

Scott

Re: Can't Update Spyware or Anti-Virus
Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3).

What updates were installed? Was IE8 one of them? Does IE connect
successfully?

What version of AVG is installed (e.g., AVG Free 7.5)? Have you purchased
SpySweeper and/or MBAM?

Can you access Windows Update via the Start menu shortcut?

Scott wrote:
> Last session Windows installed the latest XP update and now I am unable to
> download updates any of my spyware/virus programs.
>
> I am running Spysweeper, AVG and MalwareBytes. When I try and run updates
> for all three I am told there is a problem connecting to the internet.
> never
> had a glitch like this and the only thing that is differeent is that a
> Windows update was installed last seesion.
>
> Also Spysweeper does not load on the system tray and I can't open the
> program from the desktop at all.
>
> My internet connection is fine. I tried re-booting and turning of Windows
> firewall. NO change. I am not running any other firewall.
>
> HELP!
>
> Scott

Scott

Re: Can't Update Spyware or Anti-Virus
I upgraded to IE 8 about 3-4 weeks ago; no problems.

IE connects fine I have no other discernible problems with my internet
connection

I am running Win XP SP3

I can connect to Windows Update through Start menu.

I looked through "Add/Remove Programs" for an update number from the other
day but it only shows updates from 4/16 back and I know I've had more recent
ones than that.

I have AVG 7.5 Free

Thanks

Scott

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3).
>
> What updates were installed? Was IE8 one of them? Does IE connect
> successfully?
>
> What version of AVG is installed (e.g., AVG Free 7.5)? Have you purchased
> SpySweeper and/or MBAM?
>
> Can you access Windows Update via the Start menu shortcut?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Scott wrote:
> > Last session Windows installed the latest XP update and now I am unable to
> > download updates any of my spyware/virus programs.
> >
> > I am running Spysweeper, AVG and MalwareBytes. When I try and run updates
> > for all three I am told there is a problem connecting to the internet.
> > never
> > had a glitch like this and the only thing that is differeent is that a
> > Windows update was installed last seesion.
> >
> > Also Spysweeper does not load on the system tray and I can't open the
> > program from the desktop at all.
> >
> > My internet connection is fine. I tried re-booting and turning of Windows
> > firewall. NO change. I am not running any other firewall.
> >
> > HELP!
> >
> > Scott

Scott

Re: Can't Update Spyware or Anti-Virus
Sorry, forgot to add that Spysweeper I purchased by MBAM is the free download.

Scott

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3).
>
> What updates were installed? Was IE8 one of them? Does IE connect
> successfully?
>
> What version of AVG is installed (e.g., AVG Free 7.5)? Have you purchased
> SpySweeper and/or MBAM?
>
> Can you access Windows Update via the Start menu shortcut?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Scott wrote:
> > Last session Windows installed the latest XP update and now I am unable to
> > download updates any of my spyware/virus programs.
> >
> > I am running Spysweeper, AVG and MalwareBytes. When I try and run updates
> > for all three I am told there is a problem connecting to the internet.
> > never
> > had a glitch like this and the only thing that is differeent is that a
> > Windows update was installed last seesion.
> >
> > Also Spysweeper does not load on the system tray and I can't open the
> > program from the desktop at all.
> >
> > My internet connection is fine. I tried re-booting and turning of Windows
> > firewall. NO change. I am not running any other firewall.
> >
> > HELP!
> >
> > Scott

Re: Can't Update Spyware or Anti-Virus
> Last session Windows installed the latest XP update and...

When (date) did this "last session" occur?

Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com & click on "Review your update
history" in left pane: What updates were installed during this "last
session"?

[AFAIK, no critical security updates for WinXP SP3 have been released since
14 Apr-09.]

> I have AVG 7.5 Free

<QP>
We would like to inform you that support of AVG 7.5 FREE edition was
discontinued on April 30th, 2009. This applies to both virus and program
updates.

AVG 7.5 Free Edition is still working, however no new updates are being
downloaded. When the AVG virus database is outdated we cannot ensure that
AVG 7.5 Free Edition will protect your computer agains the newest threats.

If you are still running AVG 7.5 Free Edition version, we strongly recommend
that you upgrade to AVG 8.5 Free Edition. The upgrade to AVG 8.5 Free
Edition is available free of charge.
</QP>
Source: http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1855#faq_1855

AVG Free v7.5 was replaced by v8.0 about a year ago. AVG Free v8.0 was
replaced by AVG 8.5 several months ago. As of this post, the current
version is v8.5.325. I *know* that AVG v7.5 have been receiving prompts to
upgrade for almost a year now. Haven't you seen these prompts or have you
been ignoring them?

I'd strongly recommend that you proceed as follows:

1. Download the installer for AVG v8.5 and SAVE it to your desktop (do not
RUN it): http://www.avg.com/filedir/inst/avg_...5_325a1500.exe

2. Physically disconnect your computer from the internet.

3. Close all open applications (anything with a taskbar icon) and uninstall
AVG 7.5 via Add/Remove Programs, rebooting at the prompt.

4. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to install AVG 8.5.
Select a CUSTOM install, if offered, and do NOT install LinkScanner
(conflicts with IE8's SmartScreen filter) or either of the email scanning
components (cf.
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm).

5. Reboot at the prompt and reconnect to the internet to complete the
installation/registration of AVG Free 8.5. (If you've already registered
your email address & PW for accessing AVG Free Forum, you needn't do so
again.)

6a. Assuming you can do so, manually and repeatedly update AVG until you get
a "no more updates available" prompt.

6b. If need be, you can download the latest Definitions from this page:
http://free.avg.com/download-update (You want the AVI file, not the IAVI
file). Save the download to your desktop.

To install, open the AVG UI | From top menu "Tools" select "Update from
directory" option | Browse to the desktop and select the saved file (e.g.,
u7avi15117s.bin).

7. Reboot into Safe Mode and run a full system scan.

Truth be told, the symptoms you describe point to a hijackware infection.
The AVG scan in #7 above may only be the first of many diasgnostic and
clean-up steps you'll need to take.
--
~PA Bear

Scott wrote:
<paste>
> I upgraded to IE 8 about 3-4 weeks ago; no problems.
>
> IE connects fine I have no other discernible problems with my internet
> connection
>
> I am running Win XP SP3
>
> I can connect to Windows Update through Start menu.
>
> I looked through "Add/Remove Programs" for an update number from the other
> day but it only shows updates from 4/16 back and I know I've had more
> recent
> ones than that.
>
> I have AVG 7.5 Free

</paste>
> Sorry, forgot to add that Spysweeper I purchased [but] MBAM is the free
> download.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3).
>>
>> What updates were installed? Was IE8 one of them? Does IE connect
>> successfully?
>>
>> What version of AVG is installed (e.g., AVG Free 7.5)? Have you
>> purchased
>> SpySweeper and/or MBAM?
>>
>> Can you access Windows Update via the Start menu shortcut?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Scott wrote:
>>> Last session Windows installed the latest XP update and now I am unable
>>> download updates any of my spyware/virus programs.
>>>
>>> I am running Spysweeper, AVG and MalwareBytes. When I try and run
>>> updates
>>> for all three I am told there is a problem connecting to the internet.
>>> never
>>> had a glitch like this and the only thing that is differeent is that a
>>> Windows update was installed last seesion.
>>>
>>> Also Spysweeper does not load on the system tray and I can't open the
>>> program from the desktop at all.
>>>
>>> My internet connection is fine. I tried re-booting and turning of
>>> Windows
>>> firewall. NO change. I am not running any other firewall.
>>>
>>> HELP!
>>>
>>> Scott

Scott

Re: Can't Update Spyware or Anti-Virus
I agree that this appears to be a hijackware problem. Noticing some odd
behaviors when I'm on the internet. Couple of times I tried to go to MS
website and it took me to random sites. I was trying to read up on System
Restore. Ran AVG 7.5 for the hell of it and it did find some changes in win32
dll files?

When I look at the update history it looks like it's been trying to install
the 4/16 update every day since then.

Wierd!

Thanks for the info. Any other tips??

Scott

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > I can connect to Windows Update through Start menu.
> >
> > I looked through "Add/Remove Programs" for an update number from the other
> > day but it only shows updates from 4/16 back and I know I've had more
> > recent
> > ones than that.
> >
> > I have AVG 7.5 Free

> </paste>
> > Sorry, forgot to add that Spysweeper I purchased [but] MBAM is the free
> > download.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3).
> >>
> >> What updates were installed? Was IE8 one of them? Does IE connect
> >> successfully?
> >>
> >> What version of AVG is installed (e.g., AVG Free 7.5)? Have you
> >> purchased
> >> SpySweeper and/or MBAM?
> >>
> >> Can you access Windows Update via the Start menu shortcut?

Repost:

>> <QP>
>> We would like to inform you that support of AVG 7.5 FREE edition was
>> discontinued on April 30th, 2009. This applies to both virus and program
>> updates...
>> </QP>
>> Source: http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1855#faq_1855

Translation: Don't bother scanning with AVG v7.5 since its definitions
haven't been updated in almost a week.

Note that no engine updates for v7.5 have been released since Aug-08 (if not
earlier) so you've been running a fairly unreliable version of a fairly
unreliable anti-virus application since then, possibly leading to the
hijackware infection you're now dealing with.

> When I look at the update history it looks like it's been trying to
> install
> the 4/16 update every day since then.

Again, what update?

> Any other tips??

Yes, answer my previous questions, please.

====================================

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

Scott wrote:
> [...]

>> clean-up steps you'll need to take.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> Scott wrote:
>> <paste>
>>> I upgraded to IE 8 about 3-4 weeks ago; no problems.
>>>
>>> IE connects fine I have no other discernible problems with my internet
>>> connection
>>>
>>> I am running Win XP SP3
>>>
>>> I can connect to Windows Update through Start menu.
>>>
>>> I looked through "Add/Remove Programs" for an update number from the
>>> other
>>> day but it only shows updates from 4/16 back and I know I've had more
>>> recent
>>> ones than that.
>>>
>>> I have AVG 7.5 Free

>> </paste>
>>> Sorry, forgot to add that Spysweeper I purchased [but] MBAM is the free

The last update installed was KB967715. I don't know that much about updates
but that update number appears multiple times since March 25th. The last
security update was 4/16 one KB959426.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> your email address & PW for accessing AVG Free Forum, you needn't do so
> >> again.)
> >>
> >> 6a. Assuming you can do so, manually and repeatedly update AVG until you
> >> get a "no more updates available" prompt.
> >>
> >> 6b. If need be, you can download the latest Definitions from this page:
> >> http://free.avg.com/download-update (You want the AVI file, not the IAVI
> >> file). Save the download to your desktop.
> >>
> >> To install, open the AVG UI | From top menu "Tools" select "Update from
> >> directory" option | Browse to the desktop and select the saved file
> >> (e.g.,
> >> u7avi15117s.bin).
> >>
> >> 7. Reboot into Safe Mode and run a full system scan.
> >>
> >> Truth be told, the symptoms you describe point to a hijackware infection.
> >> The AVG scan in #7 above may only be the first of many diasgnostic and

See the expanded FAQ and Known Issues section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715.

The above notwithstanding, do #1 thru #3 in my previous reply.