Is IE8 a High Priority Update?

Louise

Is IE8 a High Priority Update?
I have Windows XP, SP3 and still use IE6.

For months I have "hidden" the update for IE7 because I did not think
it was "high Priority" even though WU said it was.

Now Windows Update no longer says IE7 is critical but it says IE8 is.

What is the general consensus: is IE8 now considered to be both high
priority AND viable? Other threads in this group seem to think not.

If IE8 IS high priority, can it be installed WITHOUT having installed
IE7?

Louise
Shenan Stanley

Re: Is IE8 a High Priority Update?
Louise wrote:
> I have Windows XP, SP3 and still use IE6.
>
> For months I have "hidden" the update for IE7 because I did not
> think it was "high Priority" even though WU said it was.
>
> Now Windows Update no longer says IE7 is critical but it says IE8
> is.
>
> What is the general consensus: is IE8 now considered to be both high
> priority AND viable? Other threads in this group seem to think not.
>
> If IE8 IS high priority, can it be installed WITHOUT having
> installed IE7?

Decide on your own based off the fact that you can block its
install/notification:
http://www.petri.co.il/using-interne...er-toolkit.htm
and the tool:

BTW - you could have (could still) done the same with IE7:

Technically - you probably should make the jump to 7 by now... Someday - if
you keep everything else a constant - you'd probably be wise to update to 8
as well. However - it's up to you (always has been.)

If you don't want either - install both blocker kits. Done - no more
notices.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Louise

Re: Is IE8 a High Priority Update?
Thanks for the reply, Shenan. You seem to be saying that the update
to IE8 is NOT critical or high priority. I don't use automatic
updating but do update manually by frequently visiting the Windows
Update site. Your comment that I possibly should at least install IE7
presents another dilemma because WU no longer offers IE7 to me.
Louise

Louise wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, Shenan. You seem to be saying that the update
> to IE8 is NOT critical or high priority. I don't use automatic
> updating but do update manually by frequently visiting the Windows
> Update site. Your comment that I possibly should at least install
> IE7 presents another dilemma because WU no longer offers IE7 to me.

Not really a dilemma - just something that takes a little (very little)
research to get to...

http://microsoft.com/ie
--> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx
--> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...7/default.aspx
-->

That last link is the full executable installer for Internet Explorer 7 for
Windows XP.

The blocker kits work even for the method of updating you choose to employ.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Louise

Re: Is IE8 a High Priority Update?
Thanks much for the help!
Louise

On Sat, 2 May 2009 14:00:45 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
<newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

>Louise wrote:
>> I have Windows XP, SP3 and still use IE6.
>>
>> For months I have "hidden" the update for IE7 because I did not
>> think it was "high Priority" even though WU said it was.
>>
>> Now Windows Update no longer says IE7 is critical but it says IE8
>> is.
>>
>> What is the general consensus: is IE8 now considered to be both high
>> priority AND viable? Other threads in this group seem to think not.
>>
>> If IE8 IS high priority, can it be installed WITHOUT having
>> installed IE7.

>Shenan Stanley wrote:
>> Decide on your own based off the fact that you can block its
>> install/notification:
>> http://www.petri.co.il/using-interne...er-toolkit.htm
>> and the tool:
>>
>> BTW - you could have (could still) done the same with IE7:
>>
>> Technically - you probably should make the jump to 7 by now...
>> Someday - if you keep everything else a constant - you'd probably
>> be wise to update to 8 as well. However - it's up to you (always
>> has been.)
>>
>> If you don't want either - install both blocker kits. Done - no
>> more notices.

>Louise wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply, Shenan. You seem to be saying that the update
>> to IE8 is NOT critical or high priority. I don't use automatic
>> updating but do update manually by frequently visiting the Windows
>> Update site. Your comment that I possibly should at least install
>> IE7 presents another dilemma because WU no longer offers IE7 to me.

>Not really a dilemma - just something that takes a little (very little)
>research to get to...
>
>http://microsoft.com/ie
>--> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx
>--> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...7/default.aspx
>-->
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>
>That last link is the full executable installer for Internet Explorer 7 for
>Windows XP.
>
>The blocker kits work even for the method of updating you choose to employ.
>
>--
>Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

Re: Is IE8 a High Priority Update?
[crossposted to IE General for wider exposure]

=> IE8 Installation: the User is in Control
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...n-control.aspx

=> Prepare for Automatic Update distribution of IE8
<QP>
Starting on or about the third week of April, users still running IE6 or IE7
on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Server 2008
will get will get a notification through Automatic Update about IE8. This
rollout will start with a narrow audience and expand over time to the entire
user base. On Windows XP and Server 2003, the update will be [a]
High-Priority [update]. On Windows Vista and Server 2008 it will be [an]
Important [update].

IE8 will not automatically install on machines. Users must opt-in to install
IE8. Users will see a Welcome screen that offers choices: Ask later, install
now, or don't install.

[screenshot: http://ieblog.members.winisp.net/ima...comevista.png]

Users who decline the automatic update can still download it from
http://www.microsoft.com/ie8 or from Windows Update as an optional update...
</QP>
Source:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...on-of-ie8.aspx

=> Internet Explorer 8 Delivery through Automatic Updates
<QP>
Automatic Updates will notify all such users (including those with Automatic
Updates configured to automatically download and install updates) when
Internet Explorer 8 has been downloaded and is ready to install. The
notification and installation process will not start unless and until a user
who is a local administrator logs on to the machine. Users who are not local
administrators will not be prompted to install the update and will thus
continue using Internet Explorer 6 or Internet Explorer 7.
</QP>
Source: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/u.../dd365125.aspx

Louise wrote:
> I have Windows XP, SP3 and still use IE6.
>
> For months I have "hidden" the update for IE7 because I did not think
> it was "high Priority" even though WU said it was.
>
> Now Windows Update no longer says IE7 is critical but it says IE8 is.
>
> What is the general consensus: is IE8 now considered to be both high
> priority AND viable? Other threads in this group seem to think not.
>
> If IE8 IS high priority, can it be installed WITHOUT having installed
> IE7?
>
> Louise

D. Spencer Hines

Re: Is IE8 A High Priority Update?
I'm sticking with IE6 for the foreseeable future.

No one has showed me why IE8 is an essential -- much less critical --
update.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

> Louise wrote:

>> I have Windows XP, SP3 and still use IE6.
>>
>> For months I have "hidden" the update for IE7 because I did not think
>> it was "high Priority" even though WU said it was.
>>
>> Now Windows Update no longer says IE7 is critical but it says IE8 is.
>>
>> What is the general consensus: is IE8 now considered to be both high
>> priority AND viable? Other threads in this group seem to think not.
>>
>> If IE8 IS high priority, can it be installed WITHOUT having installed
>> IE7?
>>
>> Louise

BJ

RE: Is IE8 a High Priority Update?
Hello Louise:
I have an XP, using SP3 and until yesterday I was still using IE7.
Yesterday I installed IE8 and have had nothing but problems today. I finally
uninstalled IE8 and have returned to IE7. Problem with IE8 was I was unable
to access the Internet! My PC just froze each time. It took me over an hour
to uninstall IE8. I do not plan to reinstall it again.

BJ

"Louise" wrote:

> I have Windows XP, SP3 and still use IE6.
>
> For months I have "hidden" the update for IE7 because I did not think
> it was "high Priority" even though WU said it was.
>
> Now Windows Update no longer says IE7 is critical but it says IE8 is.
>
> What is the general consensus: is IE8 now considered to be both high
> priority AND viable? Other threads in this group seem to think not.
>
> If IE8 IS high priority, can it be installed WITHOUT having installed
> IE7?
>
> Louise

Kaja

Re: Is IE8 a High Priority Update?
Well I do not think i would in my opinion classify iIE 8 as "high priority".
If there were security updates and updates for XP and Vista I would consider
those "High priority" Regardless of what Microsoft says you have to judge
which updates you want to install and if you trust Microsoft. Read the
descriptions of what the update does and see if you think you need that. As
far as IE 8 I would not install it right now because there are still a lot of
bugs that need to get fixed especially since you are at IE 6. What I would
reccommend to you is to upgrade to IE 7 which you can still get. It is much
more secure and very similar to IE 8. That way you can get ussed to using
the new features and Ie 7 has all the bugs fixed by now. Let me know if this
was helpful.
Best Regards,
Kaja

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [crossposted to IE General for wider exposure]
>
> => IE8 Installation: the User is in Control
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...n-control.aspx
>
> => Prepare for Automatic Update distribution of IE8
> <QP>
> Starting on or about the third week of April, users still running IE6 or IE7
> on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Server 2008
> will get will get a notification through Automatic Update about IE8. This
> rollout will start with a narrow audience and expand over time to the entire
> user base. On Windows XP and Server 2003, the update will be [a]
> High-Priority [update]. On Windows Vista and Server 2008 it will be [an]
> Important [update].
>
> IE8 will not automatically install on machines. Users must opt-in to install
> IE8. Users will see a Welcome screen that offers choices: Ask later, install
> now, or don't install.
>
> [screenshot: http://ieblog.members.winisp.net/ima...comevista.png]
>
> Users who decline the automatic update can still download it from
> http://www.microsoft.com/ie8 or from Windows Update as an optional update...
> </QP>
> Source:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...on-of-ie8.aspx
>
> => Internet Explorer 8 Delivery through Automatic Updates
> <QP>
> Automatic Updates will notify all such users (including those with Automatic
> Updates configured to automatically download and install updates) when
> Internet Explorer 8 has been downloaded and is ready to install. The
> notification and installation process will not start unless and until a user
> who is a local administrator logs on to the machine. Users who are not local
> administrators will not be prompted to install the update and will thus
> continue using Internet Explorer 6 or Internet Explorer 7.
> </QP>
> Source: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/u.../dd365125.aspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Louise wrote:
> > I have Windows XP, SP3 and still use IE6.
> >
> > For months I have "hidden" the update for IE7 because I did not think
> > it was "high Priority" even though WU said it was.
> >
> > Now Windows Update no longer says IE7 is critical but it says IE8 is.
> >
> > What is the general consensus: is IE8 now considered to be both high
> > priority AND viable? Other threads in this group seem to think not.
> >
> > If IE8 IS high priority, can it be installed WITHOUT having installed
> > IE7?
> >
> > Louise

Roy

Re: Is IE8 a High Priority Update?
Since up grading to IE8 the only way I can open IE is to right click its
icon and select "run as administrator" This gives me limited access to the
internet.
Cannot open web pages via outlook express.
Not very impressed with this new version.

news40CE980-CD9C-4BA2-B39A-103D3EC0B540@microsoft.com...