Windows XP Service Pack 2 Installation Failure

JES

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Installation Failure
When trying to update to sp2, both with automatic update and manually, I get
the following error:

Installation Failure

Error Code: 0x800700C1
Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
resources.

Any advice on resolving this would be appreciated.
--
JES
Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Installation Failure
JES wrote:
> When trying to update to sp2, both with automatic update and
> manually, I get the following error:
>
> Installation Failure
>
> Error Code: 0x800700C1
> Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the
> following resources.
>
> Any advice on resolving this would be appreciated.

I have to ask - are you sure it is Windows XP SP2?

Recently Office 2007 SP2 was released.

Windows XP SP2 is approaching 5 years old, SP3 was released some time ago
(over a year ago.)

- Please verify exactly what it is you are trying to install via the listed
KB###### (post that here.)

- Please verify what Operating System and Service Pack level you are
currently running.

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
give you the rest of the story. Post both in response to this message
verbatim. ;-)

- Please verify what (if any) version of Microsoft Office you are running.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Installation Failure
What Shenan said.

0x800700C1 ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT
The extended attributes are inconsistent

See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...fc01328f264cba

JES wrote:
> When trying to update to sp2, both with automatic update and manually, I
> get
> the following error:
>
> Installation Failure
>
> Error Code: 0x800700C1
> Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
> resources.
>

> Any advice on resolving this would be appreciated.

JES

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Installation Failure
Thanks - the winver says:
Version 5.1 (Build2600.xpsp2.050301-1526:Service Pack1)

I don' tknow what the KB# is - I am simply trying to use Windows update and
this is the next item required.

Thanks,
--
JES

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> JES wrote:
> > When trying to update to sp2, both with automatic update and
> > manually, I get the following error:
> >
> > Installation Failure
> >
> > Error Code: 0x800700C1
> > Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the
> > following resources.
> >
> > Any advice on resolving this would be appreciated.

> I have to ask - are you sure it is Windows XP SP2?
>
> Recently Office 2007 SP2 was released.
>
> Windows XP SP2 is approaching 5 years old, SP3 was released some time ago
> (over a year ago.)
>
> - Please verify exactly what it is you are trying to install via the listed
> KB###### (post that here.)
>
> - Please verify what Operating System and Service Pack level you are
> currently running.
>
> Start button --> RUN --> type in:
> winver
> --> Click OK.
>
> The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
> (Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
> give you the rest of the story. Post both in response to this message
> verbatim. ;-)
>
> - Please verify what (if any) version of Microsoft Office you are running.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

JES

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Installation Failure
When I follow those instructions, the first command gives:
DllRegisterServier in regwizc.dll succeeded
and the second command gives:
DllRegisterServier in licdll.dll succeeded.
But the update error still occurs.
Thanks
--
JES

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What Shenan said.
>
> 0x800700C1 ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT
> The extended attributes are inconsistent
>
> See
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...fc01328f264cba
>
> JES wrote:
> > When trying to update to sp2, both with automatic update and manually, I
> > get
> > the following error:
> >
> > Installation Failure
> >
> > Error Code: 0x800700C1
> > Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
> > resources.
> >

> > Any advice on resolving this would be appreciated.

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Installation Failure
You cannot install SP2 (or SP3) via Windows Update or Automatic Updates if
you're running WinXP SP1. (It's been this way since October 2006.)

HOW TO get WinXP SP1 or SP2 fully patched after a clean install
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

JES wrote:
> Thanks - the winver says:
> Version 5.1 (Build2600.xpsp2.050301-1526:Service Pack1)
>
> I don' tknow what the KB# is - I am simply trying to use Windows update
> and
> this is the next item required.
>
> Thanks,
>
>> JES wrote:
>>> When trying to update to sp2, both with automatic update and
>>> manually, I get the following error:
>>>
>>> Installation Failure
>>>
>>> Error Code: 0x800700C1
>>> Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the
>>> following resources.
>>>
>>> Any advice on resolving this would be appreciated.

>> I have to ask - are you sure it is Windows XP SP2?
>>
>> Recently Office 2007 SP2 was released.
>>
>> Windows XP SP2 is approaching 5 years old, SP3 was released some time ago
>> (over a year ago.)
>>
>> - Please verify exactly what it is you are trying to install via the
>> listed
>> KB###### (post that here.)
>>
>> - Please verify what Operating System and Service Pack level you are
>> currently running.
>>
>> Start button --> RUN --> type in:
>> winver
>> --> Click OK.
>>
>> The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
>> (Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version"
>> will give you the rest of the story. Post both in response to this
>> message
>> verbatim. ;-)
>>
>> - Please verify what (if any) version of Microsoft Office you are
>> running.
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

JES

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Installation Failure
Thanks - I will give it a shot!
--
JES