Office 2007 SP2 requires reboot but doesn't say so before installing?

Bill

Office 2007 SP2 requires reboot but doesn't say so before installing?
I just installed a bunch of updates on my machine, mainly the Office
2007 SP2 stuff. I carefully chose not to install 2 Windows updates
(IE8 and something else) because I did not want to have to reboot my
system, which is my main work machine and only gets rebooted once a
month, or less. So I carefully read the descriptions of each update
and only selected those which did not say that a reboot would be
required. Lo and behold, I finish installing my updates and the
system tells me that a reboot is required!!! So not only do I have
to reboot, but I have other updates left behind which I won't be
able to install prior to rebooting.

Note the only thing I have installed from Office 2007 is Microsoft
Project, and it was not running at the time I installed the update.

Oh, and what's up with the "The" in front of "2007 Microsoft® Office
Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2)" title? Seems like someone is feeling
rather grandiose.

For the record, here is what I installed:

Microsoft Office 2007
Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System Help for Common Features
(KB963673)
Update for Microsoft Office Project Standard 2007 Help (KB963668)
Update for Microsoft Script Editor Help (KB963671)
Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB967642)
Microsoft® Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 2 (SP2)
The 2007 Microsoft® Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2)
Visio® Viewer 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Microsoft Office 2003
Update for Microsoft Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB969376)

Microsoft Windows Defender
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
1.57.619.0)

Needless to say, I am NOT amused.

Bill

Re: Office 2007 SP2 requires reboot but doesn't say so before installing?
[Forwarded to Office Update newsgroup via crosspost]

QED: Why is Outlook 2003 still installed?

Bill wrote:
> I just installed a bunch of updates on my machine, mainly the Office
> 2007 SP2 stuff. I carefully chose not to install 2 Windows updates
> (IE8 and something else) because I did not want to have to reboot my
> system, which is my main work machine and only gets rebooted once a
> month, or less. So I carefully read the descriptions of each update
> and only selected those which did not say that a reboot would be
> required. Lo and behold, I finish installing my updates and the
> system tells me that a reboot is required!!! So not only do I have
> to reboot, but I have other updates left behind which I won't be
> able to install prior to rebooting.
>
> Note the only thing I have installed from Office 2007 is Microsoft
> Project, and it was not running at the time I installed the update.
>
> Oh, and what's up with the "The" in front of "2007 Microsoft® Office
> Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2)" title? Seems like someone is feeling
> rather grandiose.
>
> For the record, here is what I installed:
>
> Microsoft Office 2007
> Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System Help for Common Features
> (KB963673)
> Update for Microsoft Office Project Standard 2007 Help (KB963668)
> Update for Microsoft Script Editor Help (KB963671)
> Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB967642)
> Microsoft® Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> The 2007 Microsoft® Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> Visio® Viewer 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
>
> Microsoft Office 2003
> Update for Microsoft Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB969376)
>
> Microsoft Windows Defender
> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
> 1.57.619.0)
>
> Needless to say, I am NOT amused.
>
> Bill

Bill

Re: Office 2007 SP2 requires reboot but doesn't say so before installing?
Actually, I don't have Outlook 2003 installed (which does beg the
question why is it installing the junk mail filter updates). And
since you mentioned it, I just went to add/remove programs and when
I tried to change the Office 2003 installed apps it already had
Outlook unchecked. The rest of my Office applications are 2003. I
purchased and installed Project 2007 separately.

Thanks for cross-posting it to the more correct group.

Bill