Error Code 80070490

Greg-WI

Error Code 80070490
I have a problem with Windows Update. It responds with a red topped box
stating that "Windows could not search for new updates" "Error(s) found:"
"Code 80070490 Windows Update encoutered an unknown error."

I clicked the get help with this error, but it din't help. I tried the "Try
again" button with the same results, over and over and over....again.

System Specs:

Mfgr/Model: Acer Aspire M5630
Rating: 3.4
Processor: Q660 Quad Core 2.4 mhz
OS: Vista Home Premium 32 bit
Memory: 2047 MB
Broad band cable connection - (I can reach the MS servers via ie)

Any help is greatly appreciated:

Re: Error Code 80070490
You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update or
Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

The above notwithstanding, there is a very good chance that you are seeing
the effects of a hijackware infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

Greg-WI wrote:
> I have a problem with Windows Update. It responds with a red topped box
> stating that "Windows could not search for new updates" "Error(s) found:"
> "Code 80070490 Windows Update encoutered an unknown error."
>
> I clicked the get help with this error, but it din't help. I tried the
> "Try
> again" button with the same results, over and over and over....again.
>

> System Specs:
>
> Mfgr/Model: Acer Aspire M5630
> Rating: 3.4
> Processor: Q660 Quad Core 2.4 mhz
> OS: Vista Home Premium 32 bit
> Memory: 2047 MB
> Broad band cable connection - (I can reach the MS servers via ie)
>

> Any help is greatly appreciated:

Greg-WI

Re: Error Code 80070490
Thanks for the reply.
A few clarification points:
* it wasn't a 0x80070490 error but just "Code 80070490" I
don't know if the lack of a hex designation matters.
* last fall the PC hung during a post update restart (like
many) and the fix was applied to prevent the restart loop.
* Auto update was on daily and failed on 3/22/09 @ 3:am, since
then it has continued to fail.

I ran the malicious software removal tool with no problem. Also, the
machine has AV software that doesn't expire until August 09, so that has been
running constantly. Firewall and spyware protection has been active as well.
I downloaded the Microsoft Update Standalon Package and it ran, but the built
in update still fails.

I posted pics of the error and history at the following
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37981115@N04/3493233793/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37981115@N04/3494052132/

Again, I appreciate the help.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update or
> Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044
>
> The above notwithstanding, there is a very good chance that you are seeing
> the effects of a hijackware infection!
>
> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had
> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has
> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!

> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>
> 2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan
> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
>
> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> **Seek expert assistance in
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup, http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> or other appropriate forums.**

> =====================
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Greg-WI wrote:
> > I have a problem with Windows Update. It responds with a red topped box
> > stating that "Windows could not search for new updates" "Error(s) found:"
> > "Code 80070490 Windows Update encoutered an unknown error."
> >
> > I clicked the get help with this error, but it din't help. I tried the
> > "Try
> > again" button with the same results, over and over and over....again.
> >

> > System Specs:
> >
> > Mfgr/Model: Acer Aspire M5630
> > Rating: 3.4
> > Processor: Q660 Quad Core 2.4 mhz
> > OS: Vista Home Premium 32 bit
> > Memory: 2047 MB
> > Broad band cable connection - (I can reach the MS servers via ie)
> >

> > Any help is greatly appreciated:

Re: Error Code 80070490
Code 80070490 and 0x80070490 mean the same thing: ERROR_NOT_FOUND (cancelled
by user).

> I ran the malicious software removal tool with no problem. Also, the
> machine has AV software that doesn't expire until August 09...

Now do #2 and #3.

Greg-WI wrote:
> [...]
>> security updates.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Greg-WI wrote:
>>> I have a problem with Windows Update. It responds with a red topped box
>>> stating that "Windows could not search for new updates" "Error(s)
>>> found:"
>>> "Code 80070490 Windows Update encoutered an unknown error."
>>>
>>> I clicked the get help with this error, but it din't help. I tried the
>>> "Try
>>> again" button with the same results, over and over and over....again.
>>>

>>> System Specs:
>>>
>>> Mfgr/Model: Acer Aspire M5630
>>> Rating: 3.4
>>> Processor: Q660 Quad Core 2.4 mhz
>>> OS: Vista Home Premium 32 bit
>>> Memory: 2047 MB
>>> Broad band cable connection - (I can reach the MS servers via ie)

Brandon To

RE: Error Code 80070490