Windows update - constant reboot

susan0101

Windows update - constant reboot
I updated my laptop with MS Updates this morning and it asked to restart. i
had a meeting to get to, so shut down. When I went to start the laptop up
again it goes through a constant reboot. It suggests I go to safe mode, but
none of the options work. What do I do??

Re: Windows update - constant reboot
Windows version? What updates were installed? Did all of them installing
successfully?

susan0101 wrote:
> I updated my laptop with MS Updates this morning and it asked to restart.
> had a meeting to get to, so shut down. When I went to start the laptop up
> again it goes through a constant reboot. It suggests I go to safe mode,
> but
> none of the options work. What do I do??

Robert Aldwinckle

"susan0101" <susan0101@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B87A1C8-C20F-4E20-BDB8-B637AE41BD93@microsoft.com...
>I updated my laptop with MS Updates this morning and it asked to restart. i
> had a meeting to get to, so shut down. When I went to start the laptop up
> again it goes through a constant reboot. It suggests I go to safe mode, but
> none of the options work. What do I do??

Use the disable restart option so you can see what the stop code is.
Depending on the F8 menu there may be one there.

---

susan0101

Re: Windows update - constant reboot
I am on Windows XP PRO sp3. I don't KNOW what update numbers were done.
They came up Thursday a.m. 4/30 and I got the 'restart now thing' and had to
go to a meeting and shut down without restarting, assuming the start up later
would continue the process if needed. Apparently not.

These windows updates have recently been coming up every other day and the
quantity and time these take are beginning to become outrageous. And now
this..... Beginning to wish I had applications that ran on Mac.....

Please - someone have advice? I have to get the things off this drive at
the very least, then I'd be okay to just rebuild it!!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Windows version? What updates were installed? Did all of them installing
> successfully?
>
> susan0101 wrote:
> > I updated my laptop with MS Updates this morning and it asked to restart.
> > had a meeting to get to, so shut down. When I went to start the laptop up
> > again it goes through a constant reboot. It suggests I go to safe mode,
> > but
> > none of the options work. What do I do??

Shenan Stanley

susan0101 wrote:
> I am on Windows XP PRO sp3. I don't KNOW what update numbers were
> done.
> They came up Thursday a.m. 4/30 and I got the 'restart now thing'
> and had to go to a meeting and shut down without restarting,
> assuming the start up later would continue the process if needed.
> Apparently not.
>
> These windows updates have recently been coming up every other day
> and the quantity and time these take are beginning to become
> outrageous. And now this..... Beginning to wish I had
> applications that ran on Mac.....
>
> Please - someone have advice? I have to get the things off this
> drive at the very least, then I'd be okay to just rebuild it!!

What applications do you have that you think there are not a Macintosh
equivalent of? However - I assure you - Macintosh computers are not without
lengthy and frequent updates and their own problems.

So the machine will not boot in Safe Mode? Does it do the same "reboot"
thing?

Last Known Good Configuration?

What does the bluescreen (if one exists) say if you choose the boot option
"disable automatic restart on system failure"?

There's always a repair installation.

This is usually hardware related (a driver was installed that doesn't quite
work right - which is one reason why it is recommended not to get hardware
drivers from Microsoft updates for non-microsoft hardware.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

susan0101

Re: Windows update - constant reboot
I am currently attempting the repair install.

I get no blue screen, nor any error messages.
I get the little dos menu to select the various safe mode options, last
known good configuration, or windows - selecting ANY of them - I go back to
the same list.

I actually work with implementing Sage business products for implemenation,
which are not MAC certified. (they only run on MS) So these are my
computing roots and needs. I do not hear Mac users to have the same types of
constant issues from things 'breaking' so easily.

Susan

susan0101 wrote:
> I am currently attempting the repair install.
>
> I get no blue screen, nor any error messages.
> I get the little dos menu to select the various safe mode options,
> last known good configuration, or windows - selecting ANY of them -
> I go back to the same list.
>
> I actually work with implementing Sage business products for
> implemenation, which are not MAC certified. (they only run on MS)
> So these are my computing roots and needs. I do not hear Mac users
> to have the same types of constant issues from things 'breaking' so
> easily.

On the Blue Screen - I asked specifically if you selected the Boot Menu
option, "disable automatic restart on system failure" - do you get a blue
screen.

Do you *not* get that specific menu option along with "Safe Mode", etc?

As for the macintosh issues - you are not supporting them daily, then. I
do. The errors on macintosh computers are usually *more* cryptic. As far
as frequency - if the Windows computer is maintained - it has no more
problems than the same level of maintained macintosh at this point. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Windows update - constant reboot
1. Reboot into Safe Mode.

2. Start | Settings | Control Panel | System | Advanced (tab) | Startup and
Recovery | Settings (button) | System Failure | Automatically restart
<=uncheck | OK your way out & reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

3. Write down the STOP error and its parameters when you get the next BSOD
and post them in a reply to this message.

If you feel one or more of the updates you installed (but NOT IE8; Office
2007 SP2) caused the behavior, you could...

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB999999).

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

susan0101 wrote:
> I am on Windows XP PRO sp3. I don't KNOW what update numbers were done.
> They came up Thursday a.m. 4/30 and I got the 'restart now thing' and had
> go to a meeting and shut down without restarting, assuming the start up
> later would continue the process if needed. Apparently not.
>
> These windows updates have recently been coming up every other day and the
> quantity and time these take are beginning to become outrageous. And now
> this..... Beginning to wish I had applications that ran on Mac.....
>
> Please - someone have advice? I have to get the things off this drive at
> the very least, then I'd be okay to just rebuild it!!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Windows version? What updates were installed? Did all of them
>> installing
>> successfully?
>>
>> susan0101 wrote:
>>> I updated my laptop with MS Updates this morning and it asked to
>>> restart.
>>> had a meeting to get to, so shut down. When I went to start the laptop
>>> up
>>> again it goes through a constant reboot. It suggests I go to safe mode,
>>> but
>>> none of the options work. What do I do??

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Shenan Stanley wrote:

> As for the macintosh issues - you are not supporting them daily, then. I
> do. The errors on macintosh computers are usually *more* cryptic. As far
> as frequency - if the Windows computer is maintained - it has no more
> problems than the same level of maintained macintosh at this point. ;-)

I used to support several Macintosh labs as well as Windows labs. The Macintosh
labs were always causing more trouble, and from what I've heard this hasn't
improved much in recent years. This is partly because of the differences
between a lab/corporate installation and an individual installation - Apple I
suspect are much more focused on the home market and don't do as much testing of
corporate scenarios.

(It may be a coincidence that Windows was born in the corporate market and MacOS
was born in the home market - but I suspect it isn't!)

Harry.