Windows update total failure form 24th Feb 2009

BG Runner

Windows update total failure form 24th Feb 2009
I resolved a spyware issue on 21st Feb 09 with the help of a spyware forum &
my pc seemed to run very smoothly afterwards but I have now noticed that
since 24th Feb 09 I have been unable to install any Microft Updates.
Additionally the pc is slowing down while trying to download/install them. I
have run Malware Antimalware & Super Antispyware again but no problems found
& doubled checked with the spyware forum who suggest I have a problem with
microsoft.
Here is an example of one of the solutions for the failures:

1. Set Background Intelligent Transfer Service to Automatic and verify the
Status is Started.
Click Start.
Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Find the Background Intelligent Transfer Service service, and right-click to
select it.
Select Properties.
In the Startup Type list, select Automatic.
Verify the service Status is Started.
Click OK.

I have tried this solution but I am unable to change the status to Started.
The following message appears:

"Windows could not start Background Intelligent Transfer Serviceon local
computer. For more info review System Event log........... & refer to service
specific error code 2147024891"

Other solutions also relate to B.I.T.S.

I have Windows XP Professional Version 2002 with Service Pack 3

I have been to the WGA forum who directed me to this forum.

Can anyone help me to resolve the issue? Do you need any more info from me?

BG Runner
TaurArian

Re: Windows update total failure form 24th Feb 2009
BG Runner wrote:
:: I resolved a spyware issue on 21st Feb 09 with the help of a spyware
:: forum & my pc seemed to run very smoothly afterwards but I have now
:: noticed that since 24th Feb 09 I have been unable to install any
:: Microft Updates. Additionally the pc is slowing down while trying to
:: download/install them. I have run Malware Antimalware & Super
:: Antispyware again but no problems found & doubled checked with the
:: spyware forum who suggest I have a problem with microsoft.
:: Here is an example of one of the solutions for the failures:
::
[...]

Click Start, select Run, then type in: SERVICES.MSC
Make sure the "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" is started and on automatic.
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Re: Windows update total failure form 24th Feb 2009
How was it determined that the "spyware issue" had been fully resolved?
Sounds like it wasn't to me.

Can you post a link to your forum thread were you were helped?

BG Runner wrote:
> I resolved a spyware issue on 21st Feb 09 with the help of a spyware forum
> &
> my pc seemed to run very smoothly afterwards but I have now noticed that
> since 24th Feb 09 I have been unable to install any Microft Updates.
> Additionally the pc is slowing down while trying to download/install them.
> have run Malware Antimalware & Super Antispyware again but no problems
> found
> & doubled checked with the spyware forum who suggest I have a problem with
> microsoft.
> Here is an example of one of the solutions for the failures:
>
> 1. Set Background Intelligent Transfer Service to Automatic and verify the
> Status is Started.
> Click Start.
> Choose Run.
> In the Run box, type services.msc.
> Click OK.
> Find the Background Intelligent Transfer Service service, and right-click
> select it.
> Select Properties.
> In the Startup Type list, select Automatic.
> Verify the service Status is Started.
> Click OK.
>
> I have tried this solution but I am unable to change the status to
> Started.
> The following message appears:
>
> "Windows could not start Background Intelligent Transfer Serviceon local
> computer. For more info review System Event log........... & refer to
> service specific error code 2147024891"
>
> Other solutions also relate to B.I.T.S.
>
> I have Windows XP Professional Version 2002 with Service Pack 3
>
> I have been to the WGA forum who directed me to this forum.
>
> Can anyone help me to resolve the issue? Do you need any more info from
> me?
>
> BG Runner

BG Runner

Re: Windows update total failure form 24th Feb 2009
Here is the link:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Windo...2#entry1524722

Thanks for helping.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> How was it determined that the "spyware issue" had been fully resolved?
> Sounds like it wasn't to me.
>
> Can you post a link to your forum thread were you were helped?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> BG Runner wrote:
> > I resolved a spyware issue on 21st Feb 09 with the help of a spyware forum
> > &
> > my pc seemed to run very smoothly afterwards but I have now noticed that
> > since 24th Feb 09 I have been unable to install any Microft Updates.
> > Additionally the pc is slowing down while trying to download/install them.
> > have run Malware Antimalware & Super Antispyware again but no problems
> > found
> > & doubled checked with the spyware forum who suggest I have a problem with
> > microsoft.
> > Here is an example of one of the solutions for the failures:
> >
> > 1. Set Background Intelligent Transfer Service to Automatic and verify the
> > Status is Started.
> > Click Start.
> > Choose Run.
> > In the Run box, type services.msc.
> > Click OK.
> > Find the Background Intelligent Transfer Service service, and right-click
> > select it.
> > Select Properties.
> > In the Startup Type list, select Automatic.
> > Verify the service Status is Started.
> > Click OK.
> >
> > I have tried this solution but I am unable to change the status to
> > Started.
> > The following message appears:
> >
> > "Windows could not start Background Intelligent Transfer Serviceon local
> > computer. For more info review System Event log........... & refer to
> > service specific error code 2147024891"
> >
> > Other solutions also relate to B.I.T.S.
> >
> > I have Windows XP Professional Version 2002 with Service Pack 3
> >
> > I have been to the WGA forum who directed me to this forum.
> >
> > Can anyone help me to resolve the issue? Do you need any more info from
> > me?
> >
> > BG Runner

Re: Windows update total failure form 24th Feb 2009
[This reply is much longer and much more involved than I'd anticipated
but...]

Comparing your current thread (10 Apr-09 &ff) with your previous one
(http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Shut-...-t229771.html;
21 Feb &ff) was interesting. I note the 21 Feb-09 thread wasn't marked
Resolved until 12 Mar-09 (not 21 Feb-09) and that your handler (emeraldnzl)
did not have you check to see if Automatic Updates was enabled, if you were
able to access & update via Windows Update website, and make sure that the
machine was fully patched before letting you go.

I also notice that 21 Feb-09 &ff thread wasn't your first encounter with a
hijackware infection (i.e., Vundo et al.), assuming it was the same machine
in both threads: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Troja...o-t184309.html
(19 Jan-08 &ff)

Does the computer belong to someone else, not you (e.g., a relative or
friend)?

Not to second-guess the handler (andrewuk) in your current (10 Apr-09 &ff)
thread either but I'm a tad concerned that he didn't comment on the recent
Application and Security Events shown in the OTListIT log (dated 19 Apr-09):

<QP>
Error - 10/04/2009 11:53:23 | Computer Name = LOFT | Source = Application
Hang | ID = 1002
Description = Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16791, hang
module
hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000

Error - 19/04/2009 08:09:35 | Computer Name = LOFT | Source = Service
Control Manager | ID = 7024
Description = The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service terminated
with
service-specific error 2147942405 (0x80070005).
</QP>

Ditto for ComboFix's reporting that the anti-virus and firewall components
of "Norton Security Online" were both disabled:

<QP>
ComboFix 09-04-21.01 - Firstec Customer 20/04/2009 19:04.5 - FAT32x86
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.511.191 [GMT
1:00]
Running from: c:\documents and settings\Firstec
Customer\Desktop\ComboFix.exe
AV: Norton Security Online *On-access scanning disabled* (Updated)
FW: Norton Security Online *disabled*
</QP>

Is the currently-installed Norton application (Norton Security Online?) a
freebie from your ISP? Is your ISP still offering/supporting it? Can you
manually update this Norton application successfully?

Is/was Norton Internet Security (2007) ever installed (inclufing a
free-trial that came preinstalled on the machine when it was purchased)? If
so, was Norton Internet Security uninstalled and the the Norton Removal Tool
run prior to installing the "Norton Security Online" freebie?

Have you tried to download the May 2009 version of the Malicious Software
Removal Tool and run it manually?

How long has Trusteer been installed? Does disabling it have any affect on
your inability to start/enable BITS?

Since your handler in the 21 Feb-09 &ff thread declared the machine "clean,"
has a USB key that wasn't brand-new or freshly formatted been used and/or
has the machine been connected to other computers over a local network?

[If it were my machine, I'd format & reinstall Windows.]
--
~PA Bear

BG Runner wrote:
> Here is the link:
>
> http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Windo...2#entry1524722
>
> Thanks for helping.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> How was it determined that the "spyware issue" had been fully resolved?
>> Sounds like it wasn't to me.
>>
>> Can you post a link to your forum thread were you were helped?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> BG Runner wrote:
>>> I resolved a spyware issue on 21st Feb 09 with the help of a spyware
>>> forum
>>> &
>>> my pc seemed to run very smoothly afterwards but I have now noticed that
>>> since 24th Feb 09 I have been unable to install any Microft Updates.
>>> Additionally the pc is slowing down while trying to download/install
>>> them.
>>> have run Malware Antimalware & Super Antispyware again but no problems
>>> found
>>> & doubled checked with the spyware forum who suggest I have a problem
>>> with
>>> microsoft.
>>> Here is an example of one of the solutions for the failures:
>>>
>>> 1. Set Background Intelligent Transfer Service to Automatic and verify
>>> the
>>> Status is Started.
>>> Click Start.
>>> Choose Run.
>>> In the Run box, type services.msc.
>>> Click OK.
>>> Find the Background Intelligent Transfer Service service, and
>>> right-click
>>> select it.
>>> Select Properties.
>>> In the Startup Type list, select Automatic.
>>> Verify the service Status is Started.
>>> Click OK.
>>>
>>> I have tried this solution but I am unable to change the status to
>>> Started.
>>> The following message appears:
>>>
>>> "Windows could not start Background Intelligent Transfer Serviceon local
>>> computer. For more info review System Event log........... & refer to
>>> service specific error code 2147024891"
>>>
>>> Other solutions also relate to B.I.T.S.
>>>
>>> I have Windows XP Professional Version 2002 with Service Pack 3
>>>
>>> I have been to the WGA forum who directed me to this forum.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me to resolve the issue? Do you need any more info from
>>> me?
>>>
>>> BG Runner

BG Runner

Re: Windows update total failure form 24th Feb 2009
Thanks for the reply.
The computer belngs to me & has been the same throughout. I think the very
first spyware problem was caused by a dodgy attachment to messgae when my
daughter was using messenger.
Yes Norton Antivirus is a freebie via the ISP. The support for this will
imminently run out and a McFee protection is going to be offered.
I did have Norton Internet Security 2004 before this. It was uninstalled and
I think I did run the Norton Removal Tool.
I have downloaded the latest Malicious Software Removal Tool (May version
not yet available) and found no problems on the quick scan.
Trusteer was installed on 24th Feb 2009 and disabling it has made no
difference.
No USB key has been used on the machine & it is not connected to other
computers over a network.
I think I will follow your advice about reformatting & reinstalling windows
unless you have any other suggestions?
Thanks.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> has the machine been connected to other computers over a local network?
>
> [If it were my machine, I'd format & reinstall Windows.]
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> BG Runner wrote:
> > Here is the link:
> >
> > http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Windo...2#entry1524722
> >
> > Thanks for helping.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> How was it determined that the "spyware issue" had been fully resolved?
> >> Sounds like it wasn't to me.
> >>
> >> Can you post a link to your forum thread were you were helped?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Windows update total failure form 24th Feb 2009
> ...I think the very
> first spyware problem was caused by a dodgy attachment to messgae when my

OK, that explains your reference to "she" or "her" in one of your threads at
geekstogo forums.

> Yes Norton Antivirus is a freebie via the ISP. The support for this will
> imminently run out and a McFee protection is going to be offered.
> I did have Norton Internet Security 2004 before this. It was uninstalled
> and
> I think I did run the Norton Removal Tool.

First of all, I'm not a big fan of these freebie security apps (Norton and
McAfee) but it's your computer.

Should you decide to install McAfee Security Center from your ISP, make
certain that you (1) uninstall Norton Online Security (and LiveUpdate, if
found) via Add/Remove Programs and then (2) download/run the Norton Removal
Tool
(http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039)
and (3) reboot BEFORE you (4) install the McAfee application.

[If and when the time comes to uninstall the McAfee app, you'll need to
download/run McAfee's removal tool. See Steps #1 and #2 here:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507. Clickable,
direct-download link for the tool:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...hes/MCPR.exe.]

The logs posted in at least one of your two most-recent threads at geekstogo
forums shows the continuing presence of/"leftovers" from Norton Internet
Security. This leads me to /suspect/ that you did not run the Norton
removal tool prior to installing Norton Online Security. If so, there's a
very good chance that Norton Online Security did not install properly and
has not been working properly since you installed it, hence the repeated
infections & the Windows Update problems caused by same.

I would strongly recommend a format & clean install. Please note that a
Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx

About Rogue Security Software (often "drive-by" installed with Vundo)
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ses/rogue.mspx

Good luck!

BG Runner wrote:
> [...]
>> free-trial that came preinstalled on the machine when it was purchased)?
>> If so, was Norton Internet Security uninstalled and the the Norton
>> Removal
>> Tool run prior to installing the "Norton Security Online" freebie?
>>
>> Have you tried to download the May 2009 version of the Malicious Software
>> Removal Tool and run it manually?
>>
>> How long has Trusteer been installed? Does disabling it have any affect
>> on
>> your inability to start/enable BITS?
>>
>> Since your handler in the 21 Feb-09 &ff thread declared the machine
>> "clean," has a USB key that wasn't brand-new or freshly formatted been
>> used and/or has the machine been connected to other computers over a
>> local
>> network?
>>
>> [If it were my machine, I'd format & reinstall Windows.]

BG Runner

Re: Windows update total failure form 24th Feb 2009
Thankyou for your advice. I will format & clean install. One last question -
where do I find the best instruction/guidance to do this?

See http://michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm and