Windows Update Won't Update (Green Bar Keeps Scrolling)

Paula

Windows Update Won't Update (Green Bar Keeps Scrolling)
The green scroll bar just keeps scrolling and scrolling and scrolling.
Nothing's happening! I've even left it for hours a few times!

My last update was in Jun 2007! I had to download service pack 3 'manually'!
I've had no probs updating Office though!

What's going on?

Re: Windows Update Won't Update (Green Bar Keeps Scrolling)
If no updates have installed (via Windows Update or Automatic Updates) since
January 2007, backup your personal data, then do a format & clean install of
Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT
fix this!

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx

Rogue Security Software - Microsoft Security:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ses/rogue.mspx

Paula wrote:
> The green scroll bar just keeps scrolling and scrolling and scrolling.
> Nothing's happening! I've even left it for hours a few times!
>
> My last update was in Jun 2007! I had to download service pack 3
> 'manually'!
> I've had no probs updating Office though!
>
> What's going on?

MowGreen

Re: Windows Update Won't Update (Green Bar Keeps Scrolling)
Paula ... since the system has not been updated for almost 2 years
there's a *strong* likelihood that it's now infected and OWNED by
someone other then yourself.
You should NEVER do ANY financial transactions from it nor be storing
any sensitive personal information [ie: SSN numbers/passwords for
banking/financial sites, etc] on it.

At the present time, the green scroll bar issue is the *least* of your
concerns.

What is the installed antivirus/security suite and has it been kept up
to date in regards to virus definitions ?
When was the last time the system was scanned for malware ?
Which firewall is being used ?

Using Internet Explorer, strongly suggest you see if the OS can be
scanned here: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm

From your post one can deduce that this is XP and the SP you refer to
is XP SP3, correct ?
Providing that info straight off helps out those who want to help *you*.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Paula wrote:

> The green scroll bar just keeps scrolling and scrolling and scrolling.
> Nothing's happening! I've even left it for hours a few times!
>
> My last update was in Jun 2007! I had to download service pack 3 'manually'!
> I've had no probs updating Office though!
>
> What's going on?

MikaelS

RE: Windows Update Won't Update (Green Bar Keeps Scrolling)
> The green scroll bar just keeps scrolling and scrolling and scrolling.
> Nothing's happening! I've even left it for hours a few times!

Same problem here. I run Zonealarm Pro AW & Firewall.
Been kept up to date updatewise and last months updates loaded fine.
Since then green scrolling bar and I have to kill off the window to make it
go away.

/Mikael
MowGreen

MikaelS wrote:

>>The green scroll bar just keeps scrolling and scrolling and scrolling.
>>Nothing's happening! I've even left it for hours a few times!

> Same problem here. I run Zonealarm Pro AW & Firewall.
> Been kept up to date updatewise and last months updates loaded fine.
> Since then green scrolling bar and I have to kill off the window to make it
> go away.
>
> /Mikael

Just what is " Zonealarm Pro AW & Firewall " ?
It's not listed here:
http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...r-security.htm

The green bar continually scrolling shows that there's either a
scripting issue, an XML issue, or a communication issue with the update
site.
See if there's an update to ZA as it's most likely the cause.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

MowGreen wrote:
> MikaelS wrote:
>
>>> The green scroll bar just keeps scrolling and scrolling and scrolling.
>>> Nothing's happening! I've even left it for hours a few times!

>> Same problem here. I run Zonealarm Pro AW & Firewall.
>> Been kept up to date updatewise and last months updates loaded fine.
>> Since then green scrolling bar and I have to kill off the window to make
>> it
>> go away.
>>
>> /Mikael

> Just what is " Zonealarm Pro AW & Firewall " ?
> It's not listed here:
> http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...r-security.htm

ZA Internet Security Suite (ZAISS)?

Mikael

Re: Windows Update Won't Update (Green Bar Keeps Scrolling)
"Zonealarm Antivirus" then if we are into nitpicking. Has antivirus
and firewall.
Kept updated and runs ultradeep scans every day. Shutting it off and
running Update
doesn't help.

Maybe time to reinstall XP.

/Mikael

Re: Windows Update Won't Update (Green Bar Keeps Scrolling)
Maybe hijackware infection?

Mikael wrote:
> "Zonealarm Antivirus" then if we are into nitpicking. Has antivirus
> and firewall.
> Kept updated and runs ultradeep scans every day. Shutting it off and
> running Update
> doesn't help.
>
> Maybe time to reinstall XP.
>
> /Mikael

Paula

Re: Windows Update Won't Update (Green Bar Keeps Scrolling)
Yes it's XP SP3.

I've been virus and spyware checking the computer every week with NOD32 (?)
and Spysweeper. I'm beginning to wonder if the stop of windows update
coincides with the installation of Spysweeper...

So I have to format the computer? Bugger. It's gonna be a pain. I'll have to
work something out...

"MowGreen" wrote:

> Paula ... since the system has not been updated for almost 2 years
> there's a *strong* likelihood that it's now infected and OWNED by
> someone other then yourself.
> You should NEVER do ANY financial transactions from it nor be storing
> any sensitive personal information [ie: SSN numbers/passwords for
> banking/financial sites, etc] on it.
>
> At the present time, the green scroll bar issue is the *least* of your
> concerns.
>
> What is the installed antivirus/security suite and has it been kept up
> to date in regards to virus definitions ?
> When was the last time the system was scanned for malware ?
> Which firewall is being used ?
>
> Using Internet Explorer, strongly suggest you see if the OS can be
> scanned here: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>
> From your post one can deduce that this is XP and the SP you refer to
> is XP SP3, correct ?
> Providing that info straight off helps out those who want to help *you*.
>

> MowGreen
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Paula wrote:
>
> > The green scroll bar just keeps scrolling and scrolling and scrolling.
> > Nothing's happening! I've even left it for hours a few times!
> >
> > My last update was in Jun 2007! I had to download service pack 3 'manually'!
> > I've had no probs updating Office though!
> >
> > What's going on?

MowGreen

Re: Windows Update Won't Update (Green Bar Keeps Scrolling)
Now that's an *entirely* different situation than what you first posted,
Paula.
> My last update was in Jun 2007!

I'll assume that SP2 was installed prior to the installation of SP3.
Which means that all Security updates released prior to SP3 being
published are installed. So, the system has been kept updated up until
that point in time.

Let's try this. Click Start > then Run > in the Open: field type the
below in or copy&paste it, then click OK or press Enter

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

If you type it, please note the space between the "2" and the "m". And,
that's an L (l) not a one before the 3.
What message do you get ?

If it stated " Dll registration successful " or similar verbiage, then
do another attempt at updating at Windows Update.
If a different message appeared, please post exactly what it was.

If the system still can not update, please post the *last* 50 or so
lines of the WindowsUpdate.log in your next reply.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY