Whats the Deal with IE8

Jeff Jewitt

Whats the Deal with IE8
I upgraded yesterday to IE8. Went through all the right steps and such.
During the startup or IE8 I decided to let IE8 do the default security
settings (I think that's the phrase they used).

Browser funtionality was really screwy. I had to double click favorites to
get them to display, the go back/forward don't work correctly, pages weren't
displaying, plus I had problems in non IE functions like displaying folders
etc, most seem to be problems or the mouse not responding correctly.
Also the startup items like scansnap, anti-virus, amd others wouldn't load.

Per instructions by MS, I uninstalled IE8. When IE7 dipsplayed after 2
attempts to start (I checked to see the IE version was 7) there were
components of IE8 integrated with IE 7 like the browser tabs from IE8. I
uninstalled IE 8 again and only got back to a working computer after a system
restore.

What's the deal with IE8 - is it me? Seems like it's very unstable. It seems
the changes or new procedures it puts in with the security/browser settings
are the issue with my problems but can't be sure.

--
Jeff

Re: Whats the Deal with IE8
[X-post to IE General]

[What's the deal with your first, blank post?]

in the background when you installed and/or uninstalled IE8?

Jeff Jewitt wrote:
> I upgraded yesterday to IE8. Went through all the right steps and such.
> During the startup or IE8 I decided to let IE8 do the default security
> settings (I think that's the phrase they used).
>
> Browser funtionality was really screwy. I had to double click favorites to
> get them to display, the go back/forward don't work correctly, pages
> weren't
> displaying, plus I had problems in non IE functions like displaying
> folders
> etc, most seem to be problems or the mouse not responding correctly.
> Also the startup items like scansnap, anti-virus, amd others wouldn't
> load.
>
> Per instructions by MS, I uninstalled IE8. When IE7 dipsplayed after 2
> attempts to start (I checked to see the IE version was 7) there were
> components of IE8 integrated with IE 7 like the browser tabs from IE8. I
> uninstalled IE 8 again and only got back to a working computer after a
> system restore.
>
> What's the deal with IE8 - is it me? Seems like it's very unstable. It
> seems
> the changes or new procedures it puts in with the security/browser
> settings
> are the issue with my problems but can't be sure.

MowGreen

Re: Whats the Deal with IE8
and here I'd thought this was the beginning of a Seinfeld joke:

What's the deal with IE8 ?
.... what did it eat ? <eg>

MG

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> [X-post to IE General]
>
> [What's the deal with your first, blank post?]

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed and/or
> uninstalled IE8?

JBJewitt

Re: Whats the Deal with IE8
On Apr 30, 5:26*pm, MowGreen <mowgr...@nowandzen.com> wrote:
> and here I'd thought this was the beginning of a Seinfeld joke:
>
> What's the deal with IE8 ?
> ... what did it eat ? <eg>
>
> MG
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>

> > [X-post to IE General]

> > [What's the deal with your first, blank post?]

> > What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> > subscription current? *What anti-spyware applications (other than
> > Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? *Were any of these
> > applications running in the background when you installed and/or
> > uninstalled IE8?

> > Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> > (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?- Hide quoted text -

I hit the wrong key on the first post - my fault.

I generally follow the same procedure when installing major upgrades.

I am running XP Pro SP3 with clamwin antivirus, PC Tools Spyware
doctor, both of which were disabled. No other security other than
Windows Firewall. I installed Norton AV when I firsdt purchasded the
computer 2 years ago. After much more reading here and elsewhere, it
seems that there are q
JBJewitt

Re: Whats the Deal with IE8
On Apr 30, 6:20*pm, JBJewitt <jbjew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 5:26*pm, MowGreen <mowgr...@nowandzen.com> wrote:
>

> > and here I'd thought this was the beginning of a Seinfeld joke:

> > What's the deal with IE8 ?
> > ... what did it eat ? <eg>

> > MG

> > PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> > > [X-post to IE General]

> > > [What's the deal with your first, blank post?]

> > > What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> > > subscription current? *What anti-spyware applications (other than
> > > Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? *Were any of these
> > > applications running in the background when you installed and/or
> > > uninstalled IE8?

> > > Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> > > (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?- Hide quoted text -

> I hit the wrong key on the first post - my fault.
>
> I generally follow the same procedure when installing major upgrades.
>
> I am running XP Pro SP3 with clamwin antivirus, PC Tools Spyware
> doctor, both of which were disabled. No other security other than
> Windows Firewall. I installed Norton AV when I firsdt purchasded the
> computer 2 years ago. *After much more reading here and elsewhere, it
> seems that there are q- Hide quoted text -

I keep hitting a control+ something that is entring the post ----
sorry. Have a maimed left finger.

To continue. It seems that there is a fair amount of precautionary
steps to be taken before installing IE8 . I am quoting from another
post.

1- Read about the new features of Internet Explorer 8.
2- Search the web for information about installing IE 8, including
the
Release Notes.
3- Make sure your computer is completely free of malware.
4- Make sure your computer is otherwise problem-free.
5- Make sure all your software (including Windows itself) and drivers
are up to date.
6- Make sure all your security software, and any applications you
frequently use, are compatible with IE 8.
7- Make sure that websites you rely on (e.g., financial institutions)
work with IE 8.
8- Uninstall all third-party Internet Explorer toolbars and toolbar
buttons.
9- Reset Internet Explorer to default settings.
10- Backup your hard drive; or at least backup your own files and
create
a restore point.
11- Download the IE 8 installer directly from the Microsoft website.
12- Close all open applications, i.e., applications with an icon on
the
Taskbar.
13- Disable your security software. Turn on Windows Firewall. Re-
start
your computer.
14- When installing IE 8, agree to "Install updates" when prompted.
15- Reboot twice after installing IE 8.
16- Re-enable your security software. Turn off Windows Firewall.
17- Spend some time working with your new browser, to understand how
the
new features work.

Now - I understand the restore point and disabling programs like AV
and such, but is all this necessary? Especially 6 and 7 and 9. I
certainlly am not getting this level of caution from MS

Re: Whats the Deal with IE8
JBJewitt wrote:
<snip>
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
>>> applications running in the background when you installed and/or
>>> uninstalled IE8?

>>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?-

> I hit the wrong key on the first post - my fault.
>
> I generally follow the same procedure when installing major upgrades.
>
> I am running XP Pro SP3 with clamwin antivirus, PC Tools Spyware
> doctor, both of which were disabled. No other security other than
> Windows Firewall. I installed Norton AV when I firsdt purchasded the
> computer 2 years ago. After much more reading here and elsewhere, it
> seems that there are q [sic]

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:

2. Double-click on the save file to run the tool; don't TOUCH the machine
until the process ends.

3. Reboot & test.

JBJewitt

Re: Whats the Deal with IE8
On Apr 30, 6:55*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> JBJewitt wrote:
>
> <snip>

> > I hit the wrong key on the first post - my fault.

> > I generally follow the same procedure when installing major upgrades.

> > I am running XP Pro SP3 with clamwin antivirus, PC Tools Spyware
> > doctor, both of which were disabled. No other security other than
> > Windows Firewall. I installed Norton AV when I firsdt purchasded the
> > computer 2 years ago. *After much more reading here and elsewhere, it
> > seems that there are q [sic]

> 1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...d/200503310816...
>
> 2. Double-click on the save file to run the tool; don't TOUCH the machine
> until the process ends.
>
> 3. Reboot & test.- Hide quoted text -

I will follow this suggestion and the others mentioned above before re-
trying. One last question though.

I installed IE8 on another work computer with the same platform and it
seems to be fine. However, the difference is that I did not use the
default security settings when prompted on that computer. In looking
at the settings tab under advanced in Internet Settings, there seems
to be quite a few changes with IE8. Do you have a recommendation on
what to do at this prompt during the IE8 process?

Re: Whats the Deal with IE8
JBJewitt wrote:

>>> I hit the wrong key on the first post - my fault.

>>> I generally follow the same procedure when installing major upgrades.

>>> I am running XP Pro SP3 with clamwin antivirus, PC Tools Spyware
>>> doctor, both of which were disabled. No other security other than
>>> Windows Firewall. I installed Norton AV when I firsdt purchasded the
>>> computer 2 years ago. After much more reading here and elsewhere, it
>>> seems that there are q [sic]

>> 1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your
>> desktop:http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...d/200503310816...
>>
>> 2. Double-click on the save file to run the tool; don't TOUCH the machine
>> until the process ends.
>>
>> 3. Reboot & test.

> I will follow this suggestion and the others mentioned above before re-
> trying. One last question though.
>
> I installed IE8 on another work computer with the same platform and it
> seems to be fine. However, the difference is that I did not use the
> default security settings when prompted on that computer. In looking
> at the settings tab under advanced in Internet Settings, there seems
> to be quite a few changes with IE8. Do you have a recommendation on
> what to do at this prompt during the IE8 process?

Those with IE7- and/or IE8-specific questions or comments can post to and
seek support in IE General newsgroup:

On the web:

In your newsreader:
~PA Bear