service pack 3 installation error KB936929 on partitioned XP Intel

sarahj

service pack 3 installation error KB936929 on partitioned XP Intel
My first post--any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm getting this error when trying to install service pack 3: KB936929

Specifically, the error message says I need an additional 4 MB of memory to
complete the installation. In fact, I have more than enough memory
available. Just to be sure, I deleted an 80MB application, and the error
message was the same. I am doing this update on a partitioned Intel Mac
running Windows XP service pack 2. I've had no problems with previous
updates--I've been catching this computer up and have installed quite a few
in a row.

--sarahj--

Re: service pack 3 installation error KB936929 on partitioned XP Intel
In no particular order:

You receive error messages if there is insufficient free disk space on the
system drive to install the Windows XP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956894

How to reclaim disk space on a Windows XP-based computer that has a hard
disk capacity of 4 GB or less
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956324

Error message when you try to install Windows XP SP3: "You do not have
enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to archive the uninstall files"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949375

The hard disk space requirements for WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

The free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 has
been extended (but certainly not indefinitely) beyond the original 14 April
2009 cut-off date. Open your browser to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

sarahj wrote:
> My first post--any help is greatly appreciated!
>
> I'm getting this error when trying to install service pack 3: KB936929
>
> Specifically, the error message says I need an additional 4 MB of memory
> complete the installation. In fact, I have more than enough memory
> available. Just to be sure, I deleted an 80MB application, and the error
> message was the same. I am doing this update on a partitioned Intel Mac
> running Windows XP service pack 2. I've had no problems with previous
> updates--I've been catching this computer up and have installed quite a
> few
> in a row.
>
> --sarahj--

MowGreen

Re: service pack 3 installation error KB936929 on partitioned XPIntel
sarahj,

You're confusing the amount of Memory with the amount of free space
available on a Hard Drive:

Error “There is not enough disk space” when installing SP3
http://www.windowsreference.com/gene...nstalling-sp3/

The above specifically refers to installing XP SP3 on a Mac that is dual
booting with XP.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

sarahj wrote:

> My first post--any help is greatly appreciated!
>
> I'm getting this error when trying to install service pack 3: KB936929
>
> Specifically, the error message says I need an additional 4 MB of memory to
> complete the installation. In fact, I have more than enough memory
> available. Just to be sure, I deleted an 80MB application, and the error
> message was the same. I am doing this update on a partitioned Intel Mac
> running Windows XP service pack 2. I've had no problems with previous
> updates--I've been catching this computer up and have installed quite a few
> in a row.
>
> --sarahj--

sarahj

Re: service pack 3 installation error KB936929 on partitioned XP I
Thanks for the help, both of you. MowGreen, I think you've probably solved
my problem. I'll post again to let everyone know.
--
sarahj