MSRT Hangs, Computers Stop Responding

grotonlibrary

MSRT Hangs, Computers Stop Responding
Since about the January round of Microsoft Update patches, I've had several
machines that stop responding at the point that the MSRT runs. I've left them
to run for as long as an hour, and the MSRT never completes. Sometimes I can
cancel the updates, other times I have to power off the machines. After
rebooting and returning to the Microsoft Updates site, I can sucessfully
continue to install any remaining patches, and the MSRT does not try to run
again. When this starts, if I look under the Processes tab in Task Manager,
the System process is running, without wavering, at exactly 50 percent.

These computers all run XP Pro SP3. They are all various models of Dell
Optiplex ranging in age from one to 10 years. Out of my network of around 50
computers, only about a dozen exhibit this behavior.

--
Jeffrey Pike
Technology Services Librarian
Ǝиçεl

RE: MSRT Hangs, Computers Stop Responding
Hello Jeffrey,

Staяt a help ticket.

Help and Support

• Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge
for support calls that are associated with security updates.

• International customers can receive support from their local
Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no charge for support that is
associated with security updates. For more information about how to
contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support
Web site. <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155>
-=-

Ǝиçel
-=-

"grotonlibrary" wrote:

> Since about the January round of Microsoft Update patches, I've had several
> machines that stop responding at the point that the MSRT runs. I've left them
> to run for as long as an hour, and the MSRT never completes. Sometimes I can
> cancel the updates, other times I have to power off the machines. After
> rebooting and returning to the Microsoft Updates site, I can sucessfully
> continue to install any remaining patches, and the MSRT does not try to run
> again. When this starts, if I look under the Processes tab in Task Manager,
> the System process is running, without wavering, at exactly 50 percent.
>
> These computers all run XP Pro SP3. They are all various models of Dell
> Optiplex ranging in age from one to 10 years. Out of my network of around 50
> computers, only about a dozen exhibit this behavior.
>
> --
> Jeffrey Pike
> Technology Services Librarian
> Groton Public Library

grotonlibrary

RE: MSRT Hangs, Computers Stop Responding
Thank you, Ǝиçεl. I should also have reported that I had a chat with MS Tech
Support yesterday. All they could recommend was that I try manually
installing the MSRT, which I tried this morning and it didn't work, same
thing happened.

--

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> Hello Jeffrey,
>
> Staяt a help ticket.
>
> Help and Support
>
> • Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
> Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge
> for support calls that are associated with security updates.
>
> • International customers can receive support from their local
> Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no charge for support that is
> associated with security updates. For more information about how to
> contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support
> Web site. <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155>
> -=-
>

> Ǝиçel
> -=-
>

> "grotonlibrary" wrote:
>
> > Since about the January round of Microsoft Update patches, I've had several
> > machines that stop responding at the point that the MSRT runs. I've left them
> > to run for as long as an hour, and the MSRT never completes. Sometimes I can
> > cancel the updates, other times I have to power off the machines. After
> > rebooting and returning to the Microsoft Updates site, I can sucessfully
> > continue to install any remaining patches, and the MSRT does not try to run
> > again. When this starts, if I look under the Processes tab in Task Manager,
> > the System process is running, without wavering, at exactly 50 percent.
> >
> > These computers all run XP Pro SP3. They are all various models of Dell
> > Optiplex ranging in age from one to 10 years. Out of my network of around 50
> > computers, only about a dozen exhibit this behavior.
> >
> > --
> > Jeffrey Pike
> > Technology Services Librarian
> > Groton Public Library

Re: MSRT Hangs, Computers Stop Responding
in the background when SP3 (and/or IE7 and/or IE8) was installed ?

=======================

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested logs
in an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

grotonlibrary wrote:
> Thank you, Ǝиçεl. I should also have reported that I had a chat with MS
> Tech
> Support yesterday. All they could recommend was that I try manually
> installing the MSRT, which I tried this morning and it didn't work, same
> thing happened.
>

>> Hello Jeffrey,
>>
>> Staяt a help ticket.
>>
>> Help and Support
>>
>> • Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
>> Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge
>> for support calls that are associated with security updates.
>>
>> • International customers can receive support from their local
>> Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no charge for support that is
>> associated with security updates. For more information about how to
>> contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support
>> Web site. <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155>
>> -=-
>>

>> Ǝиçel
>> -=-
>>

>> "grotonlibrary" wrote:
>>
>>> Since about the January round of Microsoft Update patches, I've had
>>> several machines that stop responding at the point that the MSRT runs.
>>> I've left them to run for as long as an hour, and the MSRT never
>>> completes. Sometimes I can cancel the updates, other times I have to
>>> power off the machines. After rebooting and returning to the Microsoft
>>> Updates site, I can sucessfully continue to install any remaining
>>> patches, and the MSRT does not try to run again. When this starts, if I
>>> look under the Processes tab in Task Manager, the System process is
>>> running, without wavering, at exactly 50 percent.
>>>
>>> These computers all run XP Pro SP3. They are all various models of Dell
>>> Optiplex ranging in age from one to 10 years. Out of my network of
>>> around
>>> 50 computers, only about a dozen exhibit this behavior.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jeffrey Pike
>>> Technology Services Librarian
>>> Groton Public Library

MowGreen

Re: MSRT Hangs, Computers Stop Responding
aliciadcosta wrote:

Some dumb site spam that is trying to introducing itself to the world as
a 'powerpoint repair' site but who knows what it's intentions are.
The links don't work at the "site" as they only point back to the page
the links are on.

Figures.

> Domain Name: powerpointrepair.com
> Registrar: Name.com LLC