KB955430 Failing on Server Core

Frank Lesniak

KB955430 Failing on Server Core
....it's saying it isn't applicable to my system. Is this true? From what I'm
reading / understanding in the KB article, it sounds like this update should
be applicable to server core. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Re: KB955430 Failing on Server Core
Do you still have a beta build of Windows 2008 SP2 installed?

Frank Lesniak wrote:
> ...it's saying it isn't applicable to my system. Is this true? From what
> I'm
> reading / understanding in the KB article, it sounds like this update
> should
> be applicable to server core. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Frank Lesniak

Re: KB955430 Failing on Server Core
No sir, this is a fresh install of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Server
Core. I didn't do anything special before running Windows Update besides
installing some hotfixes related to Hyper-V and VSS.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Do you still have a beta build of Windows 2008 SP2 installed?
>
> Frank Lesniak wrote:
> > ...it's saying it isn't applicable to my system. Is this true? From what
> > I'm
> > reading / understanding in the KB article, it sounds like this update
> > should
> > be applicable to server core. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Re: KB955430 Failing on Server Core
I'd post about this here instead, Frank:
microsoft.public.windows.server.general (and/or
microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services, if applicable).

Frank Lesniak wrote:
> No sir, this is a fresh install of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Server
> Core. I didn't do anything special before running Windows Update besides
> installing some hotfixes related to Hyper-V and VSS.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Do you still have a beta build of Windows 2008 SP2 installed?
>>
>> Frank Lesniak wrote:
>>> ...it's saying it isn't applicable to my system. Is this true? From what
>>> I'm
>>> reading / understanding in the KB article, it sounds like this update
>>> should
>>> be applicable to server core. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Frank Lesniak

Re: KB955430 Failing on Server Core
Let's try a cross-post... thanks PA Bear

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> I'd post about this here instead, Frank:
> microsoft.public.windows.server.general (and/or
> microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services, if applicable).
>
> Frank Lesniak wrote:
> > No sir, this is a fresh install of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Server
> > Core. I didn't do anything special before running Windows Update besides
> > installing some hotfixes related to Hyper-V and VSS.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you still have a beta build of Windows 2008 SP2 installed?

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Frank Lesniak" <FrankLesniak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> ...it's saying it isn't applicable to my system. Is this true? From what
>>> I'm reading / understanding in the KB article, it sounds like this
>>> update
>>> should be applicable to server core. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

> [...] this is a fresh install of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Server
> Core. I didn't do anything special before running Windows Update besides
> installing some hotfixes related to Hyper-V and VSS.

First point, with regard to "applicable to Server Core" questions. Currently
there is no methodology in place to make distinctions between Server Core
and "Full" installations. Since both platforms have the same build number,
updates can either detect applicability to the build, or not.

We see this point with great significance when addressing the applicability
of .NET Framework, IE7, Silverlight, and other such products to Server Core
installations. The WUA will report them as "Needed" -- but attempting to
install them will fail miserably. Thus it's important to understand the
actual intent and content of an update before determining whether to approve
the update for a Server Core machine. As a result, I've created a separate
WSUS Target Group that houses my Server Core machines.

A relevant question here...: How are you planning to install Win2008 =SP2=
to this Server Core machine?
To that point, this statement may be relevant (from the KB article):

***This update is not necessary to successfully install the service pack
***if you install the full file version of the service pack. The full file
version
***of the service pack includes this update.

Also, if you had a restart-pending from the installation of any of the
hotfixes you previously installed, that could also cause an installation
failure of this update.

===Known Issue===
If you install this update through Windows Update, you may receive error
800F082F.

This update cannot be installed with other updates. Therefore, if you
previously installed other updates without a restart, and then you try to
install this update, you may receive error 800F082F. To resolve this issue,
restart your computer, and then install this update again.
===============

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Frank Lesniak

Re: KB955430 Failing on Server Core
Hey Lawrence,

Wow, I did not know that the WU agent could not make that distinction. That
seems like an easy fix for Microsoft to implement... MS just needs to check
the OS SKU (Win32_OperatingSystem WMI class, OperatingSystemSKU) to find
whether the server is Server 2008, Server 2008 Without Hyper-V, or Server
2008 Server Core, etc.

Good call on KB955430 not being required for SP2. I will probably be
downloading the update manually and then executing it via the command line to
install.

I did try rebooting the server and attempting the KB955430 install again.
It's just weird to me that the update itself (me running it manually via
wusa.exe at the command line) indicates that it is not applicable to my
system.

I think you're right though. Since KB955430 is not required for SP2, and
since SP2 includes KB955430, I think this is a "don't care" situation.

Hopefully the next update to the Windows Update agent will include the
capability to look at the OS SKU to distinguish platforms a little better!

Thanks for the help,
Frank

news41FE3DE-A7B8-4F1E-803D-6F5E5CEC5653@microsoft.com...
> Hey Lawrence,
>
> Wow, I did not know that the WU agent could not make that distinction.
> That
> seems like an easy fix for Microsoft to implement... MS just needs to
> check
> the OS SKU (Win32_OperatingSystem WMI class, OperatingSystemSKU) to find
> whether the server is Server 2008, Server 2008 Without Hyper-V, or Server
> 2008 Server Core, etc.

True... but unfortunately the metadata schema for MU and WSUS does not
provide for maintaining the SKU of the product, only the build number.
Heretofore, all applicability decisions have been sufficient to compare
against the build number.

There were a very few similar issues that occurred way back in the day when
issues of Win2000 Pro vs Win2000 Server came up, but apparently of not
sufficient concern to consider expanding the horizon of the product.

> I did try rebooting the server and attempting the KB955430 install again.
> It's just weird to me that the update itself (me running it manually via
> wusa.exe at the command line) indicates that it is not applicable to my
> system.

That is interesting. Could be a defect in the applicability/installation
logic of the update; could also be the presence of something already on the
system that's not expected to be there, and then interferes with the
installation. I've got a Server Core system with the SP2 beta installed, and
another Server Core system that's still entirely unpatched. Possibly this
weekend I'll get a chance to update both of these machines.

> I think you're right though. Since KB955430 is not required for SP2, and
> since SP2 includes KB955430, I think this is a "don't care" situation.
>
> Hopefully the next update to the Windows Update agent will include the
> capability to look at the OS SKU to distinguish platforms a little better!

It also remains to be seen how this whole process washes out when the SP2
package is released to WSUS.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Frank Lesniak

Re: KB955430 Failing on Server Core
Lawrence,

For reference, here's a list of the manually installed hotfixes and whatnot
that I did before running Windows Update via script:

KB949104 - 2008-10-30 <- NOTE: Must be installed before running any Windows
Update
KB950050 - 2008-06-26 <- Hyper-V RTM, Should be installed right after
KB949104 and before any Hyper-V hotfixes
<Hyper-V Server Role, if Applicable>
<Failover Clustering Server Feature, if Applicable>
<Network Load Balancing Server Feature, if Applicable>
KB952287 - 2008-05-13
KB952247 - 2008-05-26 <- NOTE: Enterprise or Datacenter Editions Only
KB942288 - 2008-06-02
KB951978 - 2008-06-10
KB950179 - 2008-06-23 <- NOTE: Enterprise or Datacenter Editions Only
KB953828 - 2008-06-25
KB951978 - 2008-08-14
KB954563 - 2008-08-25
KB954708 - 2008-08-25
KB954920 - 2008-09-23
KB956589 - 2008-09-23
KB956710 - 2008-09-23
KB956774 - 2008-09-23
KB951308 - 2008-09-24
KB953585 - 2008-10-04
KB957967 - 2008-10-08
KB955805 - 2008-10-27
KB958124 - 2008-10-30
KB958184 - 2008-11-05
KB958655 - 2008-11-24
KB958065 - 2008-12-09
KB959978 - 2008-12-11
KB960038 - 2008-12-16
KB960578 - 2008-12-17
KB959403 - 2008-12-23
KB959766 - 2008-12-23
KB959962 - 2009-01-16
KB961730 - 2009-02-02
KB967902 - 2009-03-22

I'll be brining up a second server core box today, so I'll try again and see
how it goes.

Thanks,
Frank

"Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" wrote:

> "Frank Lesniak" <FrankLesniak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news41FE3DE-A7B8-4F1E-803D-6F5E5CEC5653@microsoft.com...
> > Hey Lawrence,
> >
> > Wow, I did not know that the WU agent could not make that distinction.
> > That
> > seems like an easy fix for Microsoft to implement... MS just needs to
> > check
> > the OS SKU (Win32_OperatingSystem WMI class, OperatingSystemSKU) to find
> > whether the server is Server 2008, Server 2008 Without Hyper-V, or Server
> > 2008 Server Core, etc.

> True... but unfortunately the metadata schema for MU and WSUS does not
> provide for maintaining the SKU of the product, only the build number.
> Heretofore, all applicability decisions have been sufficient to compare
> against the build number.
>
> There were a very few similar issues that occurred way back in the day when
> issues of Win2000 Pro vs Win2000 Server came up, but apparently of not
> sufficient concern to consider expanding the horizon of the product.
>

> > I did try rebooting the server and attempting the KB955430 install again.
> > It's just weird to me that the update itself (me running it manually via
> > wusa.exe at the command line) indicates that it is not applicable to my
> > system.

> That is interesting. Could be a defect in the applicability/installation
> logic of the update; could also be the presence of something already on the
> system that's not expected to be there, and then interferes with the
> installation. I've got a Server Core system with the SP2 beta installed, and
> another Server Core system that's still entirely unpatched. Possibly this
> weekend I'll get a chance to update both of these machines.
>

> > I think you're right though. Since KB955430 is not required for SP2, and
> > since SP2 includes KB955430, I think this is a "don't care" situation.
> >
> > Hopefully the next update to the Windows Update agent will include the
> > capability to look at the OS SKU to distinguish platforms a little better!

> It also remains to be seen how this whole process washes out when the SP2
> package is released to WSUS.
>
> --
> Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

> http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Frank Lesniak

Re: KB955430 Failing on Server Core
I brought up a second server core server today without installing the
aforementioned hotfixes manually... same issue with KB955430 saying that it
doesn't apply to my system. Very weird.